MLB Offseason 2013-2014

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Oct 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

He had a stroke? I honestly didn't know that.

I will hereby temper all of the things I say about him. :(

2. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

He didn't.

3. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

:lol: Omg, he does!!
    Let us hope the offense will pick up the slack.

4. Yanks

Yanks Commodore Commodore

Well, maybe you can explain slurred speech and memory problems.

5. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

He was Abner Doubleday's personal catcher.

6. Timby

Dude is 72 and was a catcher, which is historically a position prone to closed head injuries, which tend to have something of a negative impact upon one's cognitive abilities in later years?

I mean, sure, he was a shitty and terrible broadcaster and I'm glad he won't be on my television this season, but that's no reason to say he had a stroke. :wtf:

7. Yanks

:D

It happened a couple years ago. He has gotten better each year since then. It may not have been made public, but it was apparent.

Much like Lee Corso.

8. Danny99

Danny99 Vice Admiral Admiral

What is going on with Ervin Santana? Last I heard it was either the Jays or the Orioles and he had a 5pm Sunday deadline and then the Rockies were in and now the Braves are apparently in.

9. Timby

Santana is basically this year's Michael Bourn, which is to say he got completely fucked by the 2011 CBA.

10. Yanks

Please explain... this "fucked".

11. Yanks

More accurately a TIA or a mini-stroke. Go back and listen to his coverage a few years ago... it happened.

12. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Braves agree to a one year deal for 14 million with Ervin Santana. That is the move of a team that lost 3/5 of it's rotation in the first two weeks of spring training.

13. Yanks

I saw that.... eeesh, they are starting to look like the Yankees of last year :lol:

14. Timby

So because you say it happened, it happened. Got it.

Under the old CBA, free agents were divided into tiers based upon their performance (the Elias Sports Bureau, MLB's official stats-keepers, determined the classifications). Signing Type A free agents who were offered and declined salary arbitration would cause the signing team to surrender their first-round draft pick. This made sense, because Type A free agents were classified to be in the top 20 percent of players at their position.

Under the 2011 CBA, the Type A / B / C classifications were thrown out and replaced by a system called the one-year qualifying offer. Now, any player who receives a qualifying offer (the average of the top 125 salaries in the league) from his team, then turns it down, has first-round draft pick compensation attached to him. For a guy like Robinson Cano, a team obviously wasn't going to have an issue with surrendering its first-round pick. But players like Ervin Santana and Nelson Cruz, who are pretty much middle-of-the-road, get completely screwed under the new system, which is why Cruz didn't get picked up until a week before spring training and Santana only got signed yesterday.

15. Yanks

OK, got it. Thanks.

16. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

And stephen drew is still on the street as well.

Lesson needs to be that the non-elite players need to stop turning down the QA. Then teams will be more hesitant to offer, which is how it should be. To date, no one has accepted, so you offer and get a pick, no brainer. They start saying yes, you gotta be more careful

17. Timby

To an extent I agree, but at that point you're basically asking some players to be the sacrificial lambs. I mean, I sure as hell don't blame Santana for not wanting to stick around in Kansas City for another year. Free agency is supposed to be exactly that -- free agency, not "okay, you get to shop around but good luck getting a long-term contract from anyone else." In a way, it's even more cumbersome than restricted free agency in the NHL, because at least then you're guaranteed to hit unrestricted free agency after a certain amount of time. You could theoretically slap a baseball player with a QO an unlimited number of times.

18. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

And the money he gets is stupid high. Think Cruz would like 14.1M for one year instead of the 8M for one year he got? Drew probably wouldn't mind a 1 year, 14M contract right now.

If there was any inkling they would have accepted the offer, neither team would have made it. Since they knew they were going to test the market, hey, free draft pick! Once people start taking the VERY GOOD QA price contract, teams will start to hesitate and only offer it to those it wants to keep, or knows that will get premiere deals (Cano and Ellsbury weren't a risk of accepting, or not getting a big deal).

There's risk (of injury, crappy play) to playing on QA deals, but the upside is you're being paid like a premiere player every year, just on one-year deals. Second year in a row a couple agents have misread the market and screwed the players, gotta eventually be some pushback to accept the deals. Santana did well just to get back to 14M, and took an injury late in preseason to do it. Drew still is looking for a job.

19. Timby

You're making a false equivalency, though. Desire for money =/= desire for destination. Taking Santana as an example, he made it clear that he had no desire to stay in Kansas City -- and who would, really? But you're arguing he should have taken the money just because ... why? It's not the fault of the agents, it's because of a bad CBA negotiated by Michael Weiner, who sold out non-star players for the sake of increased drug testing.

Stephen Drew is looking for a job because no one is terribly interested in a 30-year-old .260 career shortstop who wants a long-term contract and has draft compensation attached to him because of the QO. (Not sure what QA is in baseball ... I think coaches are responsible for quality assurance. ;))

20. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

Sure, but if you can't read your own market enough to figure out no one wants that, it's on the player; they didn't 'get screwed'.

Disagree that no one should want that, as it's a clear upgrade for several teams, but beside the point. If you don't think anyone will pay you more than 6M or so, or for more than 2 or so years, 14M for one is pretty good, and try the market next year.

Unless you're completely miserable in your current location, I suppose. Doesn't seem like that's true of either Santana or Drew, though. They just wanted multi-year deals and asked for too much to start. The obvious teams moved on, and they got left without a team that had a clear need. And then they aren't 14M players, so what's left? Nelson Cruz did the same thing, can't tell me he hated Texas and was dying to play on the O's for 6 million less than the QA...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.