Thank you to the writers!!

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Mage, Apr 6, 2013.

1. Mage

Mage Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You guys sometimes have to take quite some lip from us, the readers, about your work. But at the end of the day, it's you guys who supply us with new stories in the fantastic universe of Star Trek on a montly base.

So for that, I say thank you, and may you all write more great stories to keep us entertained!

2. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I want to agree with all those comments and say thanks for those of you who participate on the board. It's amazing to have one one one interaction with you guys.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

You're welcome! And thanks to my fellow writers, past and present, for giving me many hours of enjoyment as well.

James Swallow's CAST NO SHADOW got me through some long, difficult hours last week while my dog was in surgery. (She's home and recovering nicely, btw.) Gave me something else to focus on while sitting around the doggie waiting room!

And I still remember how Barbara Hambly once got me through a packed, standing-room-only train ride from New York to Baltimore . . .

4. Smitty

Smitty Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Yes, thanks you guys. It really is a treat to be able to talk with you and listen to you banter with others. Whether everyone likes a particular story of yours or not we do appreciate the effort that you are fans yourselves of the universe we all love. Thanks!

5. Greg Cox

I know I was very much inspired by the Trek writers who came before me. In fact, two of my old creative-writing teachers were Vonda McIntyre and Norman Spinrad . . . as well as David Hartwell, who was the original editor of Pocket's STAR TREK line.

David was actually the person who convinced me to move to NYC and take a chance on a publishing career. (I was working as a phlebotomist in Seattle at that time.)

6. xortex

xortex Commodore Commodore

While I am adverse to guns propegating craziness with blanks, I am happy to see some new names on the list, one of which seems like he even wrote a Star Trek sounding story. And Greg, you're new one, 'The Weight of Wolds' sounds good and I'm going to buy it as well as anything by James Swallow and Barbera Hambly who are all excellent too. I haven't even read 'Intellevore' yet. Now that sounds like a solid story. Diane Duane has always been consistantly great. She should have been hired on the writing staff instead of the Reeves-Stevens team, not to say that they're not great also and I have yet to read their stuff too especially the Shatnerverse, which looks very interesting and 'Federation which seems awesome, but I didn't care for the R-S team's episodes of Enterprise except for their idea that thay had planned for the Borg queen as a starfleet officer lab tech or something before she was assimilated. Why can't that be a novel? But 'Intellivore' is first up when I learn how to read, er have time and money for it.

7. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Uhhh... if you haven't read the Destiny trilogy, you might want to...

8. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

And they're pretty much the only ones I like...horses for courses I suppose !

Seconded.

9. xortex

Hartwell went on to edit the space opera compilation, right? so he obviously knew something about and loved space opera and still does. Is Spinrad still alive and writing. I'm a musician, dammit, not a phlebotamist. What the hell is a phlebotamist?

10. Greg Cox

Hartwell is now an editor at Tor Books and has also edited numerous sf anthologies. Spinrad is still alive and writing and occasionally living in France. He recently posted a YouTube video in which he reminiscences about his experiences writing "The Doomsday Machine."

A phlebotomist is a professional vampire. I used to drain blood from winos at a skid row plasma collection center.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

This:bolian:

12. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

A similar process to extracting novels from authors then...

13. Greg Cox

And good training for writing Underworld novels . . . .

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just want to pop in with another thank you too the authors. You're books have helped me get through some really tough times. I think it's great that you guys hang out on here and interact so much with us readers. Despite what some people seem to think it's not a requirement for writing Trek books, and it really is appreciated that you guys do it.

15. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Ditto the authors being awesome and such. :)

16. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

Thanks for the kind words; Greg, hope your dog is on the up and up...

17. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

+1:bolian:

18. Greg Cox

Thanks! She's actually very chipper this morning. (We've reached the point where she's bored with convalescing and wants to go on a damn walk already!)

19. xortex

I wonder if vampires write vampire novels. Sounds lucrative but I'll bet you had alot of drunk vampires. What kind of dog do you have and what's her name if you don't mind me asking?

20. Greg Cox

No problem, she's a seven-year-old bulldog named Lyla. You can find a (frankly adorable) photo of her on my website in the "Just for Fun" section . . . along with various past and present felines!