Hawaii 5-0 Season 3 discussion/spoilers

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Enterprise is Great, Sep 25, 2012.

1. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

I'm with you there. For the past month, my Mondays have been Bones at 8:00, Dallas at 9:00, and Castle at 10:00, with Five-0 getting relegated to On Demand the next day. (Sorry, Steve & Danno, that's just the way it is.)

2. Top41

Top41 Vice Admiral Moderator

Mondays are a busy TV night! I'm hooked on The Following as well. But H5-0 is the perfect escapist TV for Monday night, so I'm really hoping it doesn't move. Especially to Friday night... I'm never home on Fridays, and I like watching 5-0 live. :D

3. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

I didn't get the 'Hookman' thing, not realising it was a remake, thought it seemed off kilter. Also those hands seem way advanced. And a waste of Peter Weller.

I'm beginning to think it's jumped the shark. Or perhaps doing it in very slow motion. Certainly not must watch.

Which for me makes me wonder about our producer heroes Orci and Kurtzman, and their ST script.

4. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

Wonder how much these two are still calling the shots on this show. Or whether they have "outsourced" it to others.

5. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Friday does seem to be the retirement home for shows building up episodes for their syndication deal that are not paying off the current network run during the rest of the week. It is still a step above being burned off on Saturday night. I would rather see Friday and more episodes then a cash out when they try something else against Castle and Revolution

6. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

I doubt that Orci and Kurtzman have had anything to do with this show since early on in season 1.

7. cardinal biggles

Certainly not with writing it; 1x04 was the last time either of them had a writing credit on an episode.

8. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

But are still listed as EPs, which iirc involves overseeing storylines. If they weren't doing anything they wouldn't be listed.

9. Top41

No, that's not true at all. Plenty of people get EP credit on shows and continue to get that credit with little to no involvement in the show itself. Maybe they helped develop the show (as is the case with Kurtzman & Orci) but are now producers in name only--meaning they get big bucks for doing nothing. Or sometimes people get EP credit because their production company is involved with the show--usually in that case, a lower level exec who isn't credited is the one doing the day-to-day work on the show.

The EP who is really involved is the showrunner--and that's Peter Lenkov. If Kurtzman & Orci were involved past the pilot/ep 104, it would have been in season one, when the show was getting off the ground.

10. Star Wolf

Star Wolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

CBS announced Vegas is getting the CSI slot for now as Golden Boy keeps Tuesday. Monday's remain safe for 5-0

11. Top41

Did anyone watch last night? I thought it was a fun ep--the roller derby plot was a little silly (especially putting Catherine undercover), but I did like the stuff with Steve and his mom and Catherine. I especially liked it when Steve called his mom out for putting Catherine in the position of having to lie to him--and I was glad in the end when he didn't hold it against her.

What did happen to Mangosta though? I'm assuming Catherine didn't just let him go when she and the CIA guy found Doris torturing him. At least I hope she didn't. I can't say I'm hugely invested in all of this drama with Mama McGarrett, but I'm guessing this is where the season is headed for the finale....

12. BigFoot

BigFoot Admiral Admiral

I liked it... I love Michelle Borth/Cath, so every ep that gives her a lot of screen time totally works for me. ;) And yeah, I'm also glad Steve wasn't mad at Cath for a long time.

I also don't care much for Doris' storyline...

13. Top41

Catherine is cool--I just wish they had a way to more naturally integrate her into the show. Maybe some sort of military subplot tied in to what 5-0 does? Or she could be assigned the Wo Fat case by the Navy? Something so she doesn't end up stuck going undercover at Roller Derby or babysitting Steve's mom every time we see her.

14. cardinal biggles

I'm really surprised they haven't found a way to get Catherine tied in more closely with the team by this point in the season. The flip-side is that they aren't giving her stuff to do at the expense of Chin Ho or Kono (which was what happened last season with Lori). But it's definitely something that needs to be worked on.

I guess we'll have to wait for the season finale to find out the real reason why Doris let Wo Fat get away.

15. Top41

Did anyone else watch last night? The case was sooooo boring. Not a huge fan of the episode; Danny was kind of needlessly bitchy. Sometimes he's just kind of a little bitch and Steve argues with him but more or less puts up with it. Danny's my fav, and I love when he and Steve bicker, but every once in a while they just take it too far and he's just kind of a whiny brat.

Sometimes I feel like they really go out of their way to justify paying to have Catherine and Max as regs. Catherine was only in one scene, and Max was just in two I think.

I did love when Kono used the crane to drop the crate on the mob guy! :lol: That rocked.

16. jayceee

Last night's episode was kinda confusing at first.

Had to watch the episode a second time, to figure out what was going on.

17. Top41

Yeah, it was definitely confusing. I didn't like it enough to watch it again, but there were definitely things I missed.

18. SAndrews10

SAndrews10 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Me too. When I'm watching a show and I pickup my phone to check my twitter feed, that's a bad sign!

19. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

20. jayceee

With CBS looking to the off-network syndication market, renewing Hawaii Five-0 for a fourth season would be a no brainer. Even if the show ends up being dumped onto Friday night.

IIRC, off-network syndication requires something like a minimum of 88-100 episodes to be viable for daily reruns. At the moment, there's already 66 or so episodes. Just need another 22 to reach 88.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_episodes

Last edited: Mar 27, 2013