The Flash - Season 1

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Sep 11, 2014.

1. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

If I recall well, she had 10 - 15 years on Wally in the comics, but they still made out a lot.

There was a whole thing with Wally's mother harping on about that divorcee stealing her baby from his cradle.

2. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

With Schipp & Pays, I really like how they're honoring the past while creating something new. This is starting to feel like Raimi's Spiderman --it'll be a lot of fun for long time fans but easy into get into the new character.

I am getting more excited about this show every day.

3. Guy Gardener

So Barry falls for Tina in the past while time travelling, and then decides to honour those promises in the present 15 years later?

Or Tina slaps the crap out of him because he will only play hide the pickle with her in the past.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Now if they can just get Mark Hamill.

5. Guy Gardener

Well he didn''t go back to the Kock knocker well for Jay and Silent Bob's Super Groovy Adventure.

But yes, with all that Star Wars money in his back pocket, they may not even have to pay him.

6. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

I was recently thinking they could do this! Tina McGee was created in the comics, so DC owns the name. Some of the other characters created for the old show they probably would need to pay money to use. So Tina appearing on the new show at some point was likely. Than I thought no reason it could not be Amanda again... But that was just wishful thinking. Never thought it would really happen!!!! AWESOME!

Another example of reprising the same role in a different continuity - Noel Neill as Lois Lane. She first played her in the movie serials with Kirk Alyn. Than later replaced Phyllis Coates in the George Reeves television.

7. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Commodore Commodore

Unlikely but I would love to see Dean Cain play Vandal Savage. His Smallville character was supposed to be Savage. But they had to change it to being vague because of a movie in development that was going to use the character.

8. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Yeah, I guess the serial and the TV series portrayed Clark's origin story differently (the TV pilot used the same script as the radio series), so that would make them distinct continuities. But there was so much cross-pollination among the different incarnations of Superman in the '40s and early '50s that it doesn't really feel like they're that separate, even though they all had different continuities. (E.g. the comics adopting Jimmy and Perry and kryptonite from radio and the Daily Planet from the newspaper comic strip, the Fleischer shorts using the radio series' voice cast, the TV series' first season being mostly remakes of radio episodes, etc.)

9. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

I hear hey may be a tad busy at the moment. ;)

For animation, Hamill played the Trickster in both the Flash TV series and in a brief appearance on JLU. Plus of course Conroy has voiced Batman in several different continuities.

Would Michael Gough and Pat Hingle count? They both played the same characters in the four Batman movies, half of which may or may not have actually been in continuity with the other half.

Off the top of my head I suppose there's also James Earl Jones who played Admiral Greer in the first three Jack Ryan films, but again the continuity (beyond the Ryan character) between 'Hunt for Red October' and 'Patriot Games' is unclear.

A bit obscure, but after a quick google it appears James Garner played Wyatt Earp in both 1967's 'Hour of the Gun' and 1988's 'Sunset'. Alan Hale, Sr. played Little John in no less than three different versions of Robin Hood in 1922, 1938 and 1950.

I suppose there's Ralph Bellamy and Don Ameche who played Randolph and Mortimer Duke in 'Trading Places' then later showed up as the same characters in 'Coming to America', though that's more along the lines of a joke cameo and it's implied that both films are in continuity. Incidentally that movie had James Earl Jones (again!) and Madge Sinclair who would both later play essentially the same roles in 'The Lion King'.

I think there's also a bunch of actors who portrayed the same historical figure (i.e. Lincon, Hitler, Napoleon, Elvis, various other presidents and monarchs) in several unrelated projects, but I'm not sure they counts as they're hired because they're close physical matches. Then there's the various and sundry incarnations of popular characters like Dracula and Sherlock Holmes who have sometime had the same actor play the role, but not always in direct (or at least, not "clear") sequels.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2014
  10. Guy Gardener

I had a continuity woody when I thought that William Daniel's unnamed preachy arrogant Doctor in Greys Anatomy was Dr Mark Craig Thomas from St Elsewhere. Unfortunately the following season when the man resurfaced, they gave the character a name: Dr Craig Thomas.

11. Caretaker

Caretaker Commodore Premium Member

They just need to get Alex Désert next.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^And Mike Genovese, Biff Manard, Vito D'Ambrosio, Joyce Hyser, Richard Belzer, Dick Miller... And maybe eventually Mark Hamill could find time between Star Wars movies.

13. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

And Tim Thomerson.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

That is pretty cool. The fact that they're making so many connections to the old show makes me curious to check it out again. I tried to watch it a while back when it was briefly on TheWB.com, but had to stop partway through the pilot and when I went back to finish it it had been pulled.

16. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Since this is the show thread and not the "in production" thread, I'll put the following in spoiler code, but if you're on social media or check comic book/tv sites, you probably know about it:

...there's Firestorm

Confirmation that Ronnie Raymond will be getting his Firestorm powers in The Flash

This Firestorm fan continues to be in a state of shock that his favorite semi-obscure DC hero is being featured so prominently!

Somewhat on-topic, in my "head canon," Phil Coulson was given a deep undercover assignment by S.H.I.E.L.D. where he had to take on the identity of "Mike Casper," F.B.I. Agent and liaison to President Bartlett on The West Wing.

17. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I'm with you. I'm very happy to see Firestorm in a live-action project but this news has me a little concerned. I was hoping to see the Raymond/Stein version of Firestorm but we have this development and it looks like Stein hasn't been cast yet. Hopefully the article is misleading.

18. Guy Gardener

Can Firestorm make Kryptonite?

Apparently yes.

And Green Lantern too.

I always wondered about how destructive to a Kryptonian Starfire (from the teen Titans) would be if she fed off a red sun for a few weeks?

19. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

As I said, I figure the previous thread was more of a "Spoiler Zone," while I can see some people coming into this thread more for a discussion of individual episodes than spoiler information.

Firestorm attacked Captain Atom with a bat made of Kryptonite, thinking it might work against the good Captain.

Ah, Ronnie, you always were a bit of an idiot...

20. Guy Gardener

Captain Atom is too dangerous ecologically.

He's broken Kansas at least twice.

Deported to the Moon he should be.