Spiner in Inheritance as Soong

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by 22 Stars, Nov 19, 2012.

1. 22 Stars

22 Stars Commodore Commodore

Just watching Inheritance on BBC-A and had forgotten that in this episode, as opposed to Brothers, Soong isn't THAT old, and actually Spiner, now, could play that Soong hologram message with little to no old age make-up.

I would love for them to have him re-shoot that scene now and insert it into the episode. The makeup for Soong in this one is kind of wonky (to be kind) and I just think it would be a real treat.

I know it would never happen just a fun wish :)

2. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In Birthright pt1 Spiner got to appear almost completely without makeup for the only time, if I recall correctly

[​IMG]

Actually, the only thing that really makes Spiner look old now is his hair. With a hair piece, he wouldn't look as old as the Soong character did in "Inheritance"

[​IMG][​IMG]

Just a bit heavier

3. 22 Stars

He sure looks older to me, including the weight. He looks great, but older, esp compared to TNG Data.

4. T'Preea

T'Preea Commander Red Shirt

That's an old pic. He's thinned down a bit since having gone Vegetarian. Anyway, I think they should re-shoot that scene with Spiner as he is now; and leave his hair alone. It's fine the way it is.

5. Mrs Q

Mrs Q Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Yes your right it was the only time. It should have happened more often. He was, and still is, totally gorgeous!
    His eyes are so beautiful.

I've recently watched this for the first time. I bought series 6 and 7 as an early Christmas present for myself. :)

I really enjoyed it and think getting Brent to re-do the Soong scene would be a great idea.

6. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Not counting his appearance on Enterprise, of course. :)

7. Mrs Q

But it was the only time in TNG. :)

8. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I think it would be a cool alternate scene for the bluray release, like an easter egg for the fans, but I find it VEEERY doubtful

9. T'Preea

T'Preea Commander Red Shirt

^That would be epic. I'd be seriously jazzed if they would at least ask him to consider the idea.

10. 22 Stars

Thanks guys, I had totally forgotten this scene until i watched it last week.

I used to think about this for TOS with The Deadly Years, that it would be fun for the cast to reshoot their scenes when aged, but too quickly, De and then Jimmy Doohan passed away.

11. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I believe they DID do that for one of the "New Voyages" episodes, where Chekov ages into Walter Koenig.

12. 22 Stars

Yeah, they tried, but unfortunately they didn't have Koenig as young Chekov right? The beauty of them still being around, like the TNG cast, and having the old episodes looking great again is that you could insert the same actor in the age progression.

Hey, maybe Siritis would want to play herself in the vampy scenes from Man of the People!

13. st.barthgirl

st.barthgirl Lieutenant Red Shirt

I love Brent Spiner- i think he's one of the best Soong & Dance men in the Business. I'd love to have seen him do Singin' in the Rain.

Given the sorry state of Most Contemporary 'musical films', i love when the Players' talents are showcased in episodes of their respective series: Star Trek was great at that. Buffy, too.

14. Mrs Q

Haha. I see what you've done there. :lol:
    I completely agree with you. I love everything about him and his voice is fabulous.

One of my favourite films ever is Out to Sea where he co-stars with Jack Lemmon and Walter Matthau. It's not a musical but he does sing in it.

If you haven't seen it I would highly recommend you do. Brent plays Gil Godwyn who's in charge of the entertainment on the cruise ship and steals the whole film.

There's clips of it on Youtube. Just search Gil Godwyn.

15. st.barthgirl

st.barthgirl Lieutenant Red Shirt

Awww, Thanks, Mrs. Q! I'll check it out.... Have you seen Introducing Dorothy Dandridge?

Worth catching, too. Brent plays Mentor To Halle Berrys' Diva... Good Stuff.

16. Mrs Q

Yes I've seen it. He was fantastic and looked gorgeous in that, but I'm such a Brent fangirl I think he's fantastic and gorgeous in everything. :)

Let me know what you think of Out to Sea.