Roddenberry's Worst Ideas

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by ZapBrannigan, Mar 16, 2013.

1. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Looks like at least line person here is living in reality.

And as for the Nobel Prize, I can think of two individuals (maybe three) just off the top of my head, Peace Prize recipients, who have done not a damn thing to promote peace.

No, I wont call them out in this forum. Not the place for it.

But for all the proselytizing about this or that philosophy, only one has in its entire existence sought to bestow liberty and freedom on as many people as who would accept it.

Over and out.

2. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

You can consolidate two or more posts and delete redundant ones after they've been posted.

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Harry Mudd: "Lonely, isolated, overworked, rich lithium miners!"

"Eve ... I'll get you a man who can buy you a whole planet."

Of course in a capitalistic system, exploration is followed by utilization and exploitation of discoveries. The early space race provide America (and others) with access to Earth orbit. Satellites, weather and communications and navigation. These satellites are commercial products and generate profits for the companies/corporations that build them, launch them and operate them, and for the businesses that make use of the information and signals that the satellites produce.

One example would be that while the weather report might be a passing segment on your evening news, the images and information from weather satellites have enabled farmers to increase their agricultural output significantly.

More money, more money, more money.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2013
  4. Arianna

Arianna Ensign Red Shirt

I agree with Jeryl. TOS was so sexist. Simply having women in the programme was not equality and the lengths of their "skirts" was ridiculous.

I thought that Vina was trying to look as she used? Younger but slim, blonde, pretty? At least that's the impression I got looking at it. She kept the same image all throughout the show except when she was green and "like an animal".:rolleyes:

Didn't like that she felt she had to remain on the planet just because she had been in an accident.

A. Why couldn't they fix her
    B. Looks aren't supposed to matter in Star trek

Gene Roddenberry was such a chauvinist.

5. Casas9425

Casas9425 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Gene Roddenberry was also pretty much a hack. Outside of TOS the rest of his filmography is garbage.

6. scotpens

scotpens Professional Geek Premium Member

At a time when the only women serving aboard US Navy vessels were nurses on hospital ships, having one-third of the Enterprise's crew be female was progressive. As was the woman First Officer in the original pilot.

Presentism, presentism, presentism.

7. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

This is pretty sexist, but the top quote is just flat out funny.

This stuff is harmless, but this is what makes some fans criticize the claims Trek make.

So women can't command a ship in the 23rd century? Even though they are considered completely equal and share all the work?

Why not just admit women and men aren't equal at everything and most of the time don't want to be all the time anyway?

But, just to make a point, they gave us the man skirt in season 1 of TNG to show us the sexes are absolutely equal--because men wear skirts on duty.

8. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    I think you're thinking about Gomez.

Khambatta had stunning hair, but was just insanely beautiful without it.

It's a good idea, but more like 53rd century.

Yeah, props to DS9 for clearing that up.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

scottpenn is referring to the original concept for Troi.

10. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
  11. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

I came up with the idea a while back that Vina might have been a physical composite. They pulled her out of the wreckage a "lump of flesh," and they had never seen a Human Being before. There were other people's bodies in the wreakage, what Vina was missing in terms of organs and bone and skin, the Talosian took from where they could.

The Taloisans internal anatomy might have been considerably different than a Humans, they couldn't tell for example a man's vertebra from a woman's, or in what order they were arranged.

:)

12. gturner

gturner Admiral

^ also the different rib counts. :D

13. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

1st Talosian: Have the computer fragments yielded physiological or medical data that may be of help as we restore Vina?
    2nd Talosian: The remnants of their files show multiple references to something called "spare ribs".
    1st Talosian: Yes, I see. But wait. These are ... these are ... culinary references.
    2nd Talosian: You mean... the humans have different rib counts... because....
    1st Talosian: They couldn't!
    2nd Talosian: They wouldn't!
    3rd Talosian, just arriving: What's wrong?
    1st Talosian, whose brain is now bleeding: Wrong thinking!
    Wrong thinking!
    2nd Talosian, also bleeding: It's a cookbook! It's a cookbook!
    3rd Talosian: I guess you two will be no help. To 4th Talosian: Proceed with the operation on Vina. We'll just have to do the best we can.

14. Arianna

Arianna Ensign Red Shirt

They stuck her spare ribs up her shoulder.

15. Godblessed1701

Godblessed1701 Ensign

dead-birds worse idea be these hybrid dudes. spock maybe been good as a one of a kinder, but by tng's time we had all manner of freakin crossbreeds. and they follow dumb-dumb rules. like had i been one-quarter vulcan, one-quarter klingon, one-quarter andorian, and one-quarter tribble id a have slightly pointed earz, antenna like one-quarter the size of nomral andorian aerials, id be bitching about honor one-quarter of the time, and being one-quarter tribble id have shaggy hair up to my knees.

16. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I sure hope you're being facetious about that rib count nonsense. :)

17. TheGoodNews

TheGoodNews Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Naw, it's more like the 1930's:

"Many of the normal motives of civilized life-snobbishness, money-grubbing, fear of the boss, etc.-had simply ceased to exist. The ordinary class-division of society had disappeared to an extent that is almost unthinkable in the money-tainted air of England; there was no one there except the peasants and ourselves, and no one owned anyone else as his master." George Orwell - Homage to Catalonia page 104.

But apparently to some on this message board, it seems, this kind of de-alienation is beyond reason. :shrug:

"Hamin obviously found it hard to believe the Culture really did do without money.
    'But what if I do want something unreasonable?"
    'What?'
    'My own planet?' Hamin wheezed with laughter.
    'How can you own a planet.?' Gurgen shook his head.
    'But supposing I wanted one?'
    'I suppose if you found an unoccupied one you could land without anyone becoming annoyed...perhaps that would work. But how would you stop other people landing there, too?'
    'Could I not buy a fleet of warships?'
    'All our ships are sentient. You could certainly try telling a ship what to do...but I don't think you'd get very far.'
    'Your ships think they're sentient!' Hamin chuckled.
    'A common delusion shared by some of our human citizens.'" -- The Player of Games by Iain Banks.

18. Capt_Pickirk

Capt_Pickirk Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Another thing that irritates me about TNG is synthehol and the almost sneery attitude that people have to alcohol.

19. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

Seems to be a trait on the Ent D. Maybe the fedration worlds purposely put all there douche bags on one ship to get them as far away as possible for a long time and hopefully get blown us!

Thats why they have there family on board too. Get rid of all of em haha

Last edited: Jun 13, 2013
  20. RandyS

RandyS Vice Admiral Admiral

If you came from a family of abusive alcoholics, you would find TNG's "sneery" attitude quite correct. Despite the fact that their attitude wasn't "sneery" at all.