JJTrek, representing the whole world with ship names

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Wadjda, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Wadjda

Wadjda Commander Red Shirt

Since the foreign box office is a much bigger deal than it used to how about some ships named after people not from European and North American history. I would prefer those to be named after resonably enlightened people if it's possible not the usual mass murderers.

i nominate the USS Yue Fei. He was a suprisingly decent human being despite living in the middle ages as far as i know.

2. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

You'd have to talk to the scriptwriters about that. We as simple fans don't have the power to make those decisions.

I'm confused. Are you asking to not have ships named after foreign mass murderers, or are you saying that the ships already named were named for (presumably European and North American) mass murderers? If the latter, I was unaware that Isaac Newton, Harry Truman, David Farragut, Samuel Hood or Ray Bradbury were mass murderers.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Harry killed 'em when he played piano.

And he dropped a couple of bombs on Japan.

4. Wadjda

We are just speculating and wishing here.

There is just a tendency for people to name ships after mass murderers because they are famous. i think Trek should be above that. Are you sure about Truman?:devil:

5. starburst

starburst Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Out of interest, which Star Trek ships do you consider named after famous mass murderers?

6. Wadjda

7. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

1) That is pretty obscure.
    2) You're using a ship from the Prime Universe as an example in your argument against naming practices in the Abramsverse.
    3) What Abrams really needs to learn is to drop the leading zeroes in the registries.

Oh come on, you knew I had to mention that one.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2014
  9. Wadjda

2. Because we barely have Abramsverse ships.

1. U would not say that if it was the USS Hitler.

10. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Yep, Cortez isn't what I'd call obscure.

11. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I would think that people considering Cortez and his crimes obscure is all the more reason to increase education about the brutal history of colonialism.

12. section9

section9 Commander Red Shirt

I suspect that there would be less debate from some quarters if there was a USS Che, despite that individual's record of incompetence and mass murder.

I would argue with the above poster about Truman, but this is not the time or place to have the Atomic Bombing vs. Invade Japan debate again.

13. Kevman7987

Kevman7987 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

How do we know it isn't named for some other Cortez? Memory Alpha only has a guess as to it's namesake.
    She might be named after Mexican Folk Hero Gregorio Cortez or Brazilian actor Raul Cortez.

14. Wadjda

If we assume that Truman just wanted to shorten the war not send a message to the soviets that is still something that Section 31 would be proud off, not Starfleet.

15. thumbtack

thumbtack Commodore Commodore

Or Drag Queen legend, Sheeya Mann Cortez.

16. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

section9 is correct: that discussion is for another thread and a different forum. Ditto for any other supposed historical mass murders which never figured in a Star Trek story in any significant way.

Let's just focus on proposing starship names which draw from history other than North American or European. After your 12th-century Chinese military hero, who else would you suggest?

17. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fair point to the both of you, and I certainly hope it's Sheeya Mann. But I'm also adding C-level disposable X-Men villain Fabian Cortez to the mix.

18. Melakon

Maybe the USS Cortez is named for old-time actor Ricardo Cortez (real name Jacob Krantz).

19. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Sure, we can make up in-universe excuses to justify the name, but we all know that the intent was for the ship to be named after Hernan Cortez.

So the question is, why name a Starfleet ship after a 16th century Spanish conquistador who butchered the Aztec people? Perhaps Starfleet Academy adopted the attitude that my elementary school had when I first learned about the early explorers: to just focus on their achievements, and excise the fact that many of them actually caused untold death and destruction in their efforts.

20. Melakon

The history texts I read in schools during the 50s and 60s usually didn't discuss all the killing parts, unless some Europeans were killed by the "savages".

It was made to sound like these guys wandered around discovering all these great sights.