Supernatural 6x3 "The Third Man" spoilers/discussion thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dorian Thompson, Oct 8, 2010.

1. Dorian Thompson

Dorian Thompson Admiral Admiral

Just thought I'd start the thread before I have to run off to afternoon meetings. Hopefully I won't nearly get crushed to death by a semi on the interstate this week via a drunk driver driving home this week. :rolleyes: That wasn't fun.

Have you seen the preview clip on the front page of supernatural.tv? It's excellent. :devil:

2. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

At first I thought you were joking and refering to the season 1 finale; I'm sorry to hear what happened, but happy it didn't turn into a tragedy.

3. Lt. Trull

Lt. Trull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mining colony Sol Asteroid belt, Sol System
    ya gotta love it..... "he's right behind me isn't he!"

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

We always knew Cas liked Dean better.

5. Lt. Trull

Lt. Trull Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Mining colony Sol Asteroid belt, Sol System
    Oh man... now he's forced to ride with dean.... poor car...

6. Dorian Thompson

Hee. :lol: Cas using air quotes.

Mswood, I hope you don't miss this one. Two words--shirtless pullups. Guess who? :evil: Man, those boils and grasshoppers eating brains made me want to retch. Classic SPN. :guffaw:

7. Mr. Adventure

Even I know that's a bad joke. :lol:

8. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So this week Jared shows off the bod. Well that should count as half a letter grade right there (I kid).

I am still both pleased (Brain) and pissed (lower Brain) that the show doesn't just have them talking their shirts off all the time.

9. Dorian Thompson

Tell Rafael to bite me. God, the comic timing on this show is classic. Sera and the writers really, really "get" the chemistry between the three leads. And that Padalecki is sex on legs when Sam isn't sweet.

10. Joe Washington

Joe Washington Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I loved that Cas is back and the introduction of the whole angel civil war after the Apocalypse that shows that not everything made peaceful and happy after Lucifer's downfall.

I think we're see the beginning of a whole new rift between Sam and Dean, only this time it seems to be about which of them is the stronger, effective hunter. But I hope this won't last the whole season like the S4 rift between Sam and Dean. Maybe half of the season at least.

I have this theory that Lucifer is still inside Sam but their time in the cage has led to Lucifer merging with Sam's personality which is the way he seems off at times. I don't why it would happen or how. But maybe it could have been some kind of deal struck between them made under desperate circumstances.

11. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah this pretty much cemented for me that a sixth season was a bad idea--for as uneven and meandering as the fifth season was it at least provided a decent ending. Here you really start to see they are dragging it out and it definitely has that "jump the shark" smell to it--I just don't see that the series has anything left to that needed to be said to justify another year--I don't see them crafting an interesting season long arc or showing any indication that they want to offer up some fresh plots or pave new interesting ground with the characters. Nothing is flat out "bad" it just doesn't have me looking forward to it each week like it used to do.

This was boring. I don't know what else to say. The recap again gave away the culprit before the episode even started. I don't like Sam this season. I'm tired of the brotherly melodrama. The supernatural plots still fail to wow. I'm not the least bit interested in the angel civil war surprisingly enough. I thought the whole Raphael climax was abrupt and anti-climatic. I usually love Misha but Castiel's appearance was so-so.

I really wanted to stick with the show until the end but I think I'm done since the "Coming Soon" promo didn't give me much hope. I normally avoid spoilers and trailers but I just needed something to give me reassurance I should keep watching but that didn't help.

A C-.

12. Dorian Thompson

Startrekwatcher I couldn't disagree more. I thought season six was a terrible idea, but I was wrong. I'm totally intrigued by this smaller scale developing rift. Padalecki's fascinating when Sam's bad. I loved this episode. The use of Cas was outstanding. He killed Sam's shitty car. HA! Misha Collins was a godsend. Castiel's appearance was fantastic. I'm not certain we watched the same episode.

It doesn't feel like brotherly melodrama at all. It feels like anti-melodrama. Sam's utter coldness has me hooked. Whoever's directing Padalecki is right on target. What's wrong with him? That's the point more than any angel battle.

13. Dorian Thompson

double post

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010
  14. startrekwatcher

startrekwatcher Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Supernatural just isn't my cup of tea anymore. I totally understand others enjoying it but I haven't been crazy about it in the way I expect to be with a show that really resonates with me since Season 4. Season 5 barring a few episodes I could have missed and would have been alright with and while the first episode of this season gave me some hope these last 2 episodes have just left me totally indifferent. If I were to learn the show was canned right now I don't think I would be all that broken up about it.

The show has always been prone to fluctuations in quality but it seems like it has gotten progressively worse to the point where I've been fast forwarding through scenes that just dragged and to the point where I never know what to expect quality-wise most weeks.

I'm glad you enjoy it but I've lost all interest in it. For me it lost its way after season 4.

15. Dorian Thompson

But it's found its way back. ;) Mileage varies, of course. C'est la vie. Ben Edlund wrote this one. I KNEW IT. :lol:

16. mswood

mswood Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

1st: I freely admit I love the character of Castiel. But I also really, really had hoped that with the end of season 5 that the character would never, never appear on Supernatural again.

2nd: As many posters might remember I have been extremely upset that Dean really gets to see the bad that Sam has done, but as far as we know Dean doesn't know that Castiel is the one who set Sam free to lose Lucifer on the world (Yeah still a bit pissed about that).

SO here we are at the first appearance of Castiel, and how shall I put it. I was really, really not getting my hopes up. First I haven't been terrible impressed with the episodes (C+ and for me the 2nd a B (which generally an average episode of SN for me) and 2nd its about a character that I thought had served its purpose.

Well, I liked this episode, I liked it a lot. Its not A material, but its B+ material in my book.

First Castiel appears because it suited him. He is more like early 4th season Castiel in some ways then the humanized Castiel that was through much of the 5th season (after all why should Dean and Sam be the only ones who get to change).

We see that Castiel is a cold blooded son of a bitch. Which Dean, you really should understand. He might have been a comrade in arms (and that does form strong bonds), but he shouldn't really be your friend. His reasons for doing things are not yours and often aren't even close. We rarely get to really see that, and I always love seeing that.

Nice use of still showing Dean's connection to Lisa and Ben and also showing how much Sam is different (more of that towards the end).

Nice to see Rapheal again (I really enjoyed the menace the actor brought to the role, in his previous appearance). Nice to see Heaven's a mess.

Souls. Souls as currency, and Crowley is certain to be upping his standing in the world. assume we will have Bobby's deal come up soon. But we don't know if given the soul back was part of the original deal or Crowley just chatting about his intentions. I expect that will be covered.

Atmosphere. OK, here is what I found to be the weakest aspect of the episode. And what in my mind prevents an A- score. The show's teaser and early horror elements lacked any sort of tension or atmosphere. And this isn't the first time this has occurred. I haven't made attention to the directors or the editor, but its also possible ( I would need to see how specific the script is some are quite general on this element some are very detailed in notes ). I also need to check the DP credits to see if this is an issue.

Sam, ok I have been posting that I thought Sam might just be turning into the person we saw in his trickster induced 6 months (cold, unemotional, meticulous hunter and lacking any real feelings of empathy). I think his time in hell, his sense of responsibility for the actions he set in motion and isolating himself form Dean for a year could explain it. I still think its possible But I don't think the writers are going there. Clearly the preview is implying that Dean soon (probably in the next three or four episodes) learns some truth aspect of Sam and it freaks him out. So I think my hypothesis is clearly not the way the writers are moving the story. The question then becomes what has happened to Sam. The writers have said yes this is Sam. And I hope they weren't deliberately lying. I really don't want any bit of Lucifer tied to Sam. And clearly I don't want to see that Sam doesn't have a soul (which seems opposite of what we know about souls in SN universe). Clearly he can feel humor, and has base needs. But we have yet to see Sam experience strong emotions. From hate to love, ect.

Color me intrigued but worried as well.

17. Mr. Adventure

I'm afraid I have to agree with startrekwatcher to a large extent. While I enjoyed Cas this episode for the most part this season hasn't done much for me. I'm hoping it will kick it into gear at some point.

18. Dorian Thompson

Sam acts as if he can't feel anything--literally. He's numb, like his emotions are completely turned off. It's Sam all right. He's not possessed and he's not altered. He's detached and empty. That's what's got me hooked. Even the prostitute fits in with the characterization. You pay prostitutes to leave when it's over. It's fascinating and it has me hooked. The monsters of the week are secondary.

It figures that this was a Ben Edlund episode. I always seem to love his stuff. Didn't he create the cold, alternate Sam of "Mystery Spot"?

19. Snaploud

Snaploud Admiral Admiral

This is the best season six episode so far, and it's the first indication that season six might actually be worth our time.

The heaven stuff is much more interesting than whatever the hell is happening with the Campbells (so far), and I love the dynamic Castiel brings to the Sam/Dean interactions. Dean's always at his best when he's the moral center of the story, so it's great that we're once again getting the chance to see him in all his righteous/self-righteous glory.

20. Othello

Othello Commodore Commodore

Yup. I REALLY enjoyed this episode. An easy A from me.