Dexter - The Final Season (Spoiler Discussion)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Agent Richard07, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Showtime has released the first episode online.

But all the naked bums and boobs are pixilated, as a banner add runs across the bottom of the screen: "If you want to see more sign up to showtime now!" also the swearing is white noised out.

I assumed that Charlotte Rampling was some notorious actress from the 60s I probably used to lust after two ice ages ago... Once upon a time she played Irene Adler in Sherlock Holmes goes to New York opposite Roger Moore and Patrick McNee.

That's just INSANE casting.

Not sure if the season pilot indicates that the producers are righting the boat form the clusterfuckery of late, but I didn't hate what I saw... Is MaSuka dead on the inside? He's stopped trying to be funny, even for his own benefit and still "his friends" treat him like an asshole most of the time.

Someone civilised Vincent to the point that he might as well have stayed on Chuck.

3. Agent Richard07

Agent Richard07 Admiral Admiral

I love the promo pics for this season…

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

4. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And let's not forget ZARDOZ and THE NIGHT PORTER.

5. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Thought the first episode was OK... but after the shocking conclusion of last season I was kinda hoping for a bit more. Like last time, I think it would have been much more gripping to pick up immediately after the finale and watch Dex and Deb deal with the immediate aftermath of LaGuerta's killing, and then build to the conclusion from there.

But here, they jumped so far ahead in time that they undercut almost ALL of the momentum and suspense that had been built up previously. Which made it feel like just a standard season opener with nothing much at stake.

And I can't say I found the therapist/profiler character all that terribly interesting either. I suppose there's potential there for something good, but so far I'm just not feeling it.

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I immediately thought something was suspicious about Dr. Vogel, least of all because she was portrayed by the wonderful Charlotte Rampling. I initially thought she was the "Brain Scoop" Killer (the scoop being the trophy) and she performed the killing(s) as means to lure Dexter, but the final scene of the episode (and the next episode preview) seems to refute that notion. That being said, aside from Rampling's alluring performance, I'm not that interested in yet another person who is fascinated by Dexter and who he truly is. Hopefully they'll play with her character differently from her "predecessors."

I know I have a shitty memory but is this the first time we've seen Jamie and Quinn together?

7. Greg Cox

Last time we saw them, they were kinda flirting with each other at Angel's retirement party. Things have obviously progressed since then.

(He also made a drunken pass at her a few seasons ago, but that seems to be water under the bridge now.)

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Flirting? I'm sure the words "So when are you going to #### me?" where used with precision by that delicate ingénue.

Girl needs to eat a cookie. I was too busy counting ribs to admire her pint sized bust.

The brain scoop isn't a trophy.

The killer is obviously a cannibal.

But not because human beat tastes delicious, it's because the daft twat is trying to "eat" and "digest" empathy because s/he read a book alerting them to the fact that they have none, ergo they thought it a good idea to top up.

"Sociopaths don't have emotions so they cannot be angry and do not snap."

If so, then why was Dexter yelling at his kid?

Last edited: Jul 2, 2013
  9. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

I wonder if the big conclusion is Dexter finding out he isn't a sociopath.

10. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Pretty good season opener. Everything with Deb and Dex was gold as usual. I kinda groaned a bit at the prospect of yet another foil right in Dexter's trail, but the final scene completely turned that around and got me totally hooked on that plot.

Quinn and Jaime? That's just so random.

I don't think she's fascinated by him. Judging from the pictures and her mentioning Harry's Code, I get the feeling, that she was in on this from the beginning.
    Hell, maybe Harry went to her for help first and she put that entire damn idea in his head in the first place?
    So, if Harry was the Bay Harbor Butcher's father, she might be his mother (not in the literal sense, of course).

11. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I don't know. I have a hard time believing Harry would take the risk of going to a police consultant for advice on how to let his budding serial killer son get away with murdering people.

Seems like something you'd probably want to keep as secret as possible. Plus I kinda liked the idea that the code was something Harry came up with out of his own frustration at constantly seeing criminals go free and escape justice.

12. Ayelbourne

He wasn't murdering people back then, so it is reasonable to believe that Harry might have pursued other avenues first, one of them being to ask one of his friend's (Matthews) friend for help.
    That might be how she got hold of young Dexter's drawings.
    "Look, my son is drawing lot's of this creepy stuff. Got any advice what it might mean and what I can do about it?".

13. Greg Cox

Exactly. He's got a troubled, traumatized, little kid. He feels he's in over his head, so he discreetly consults an expert he trusts. He probably hadn't even come up with the idea of the Code at that point. He may have still been searching around desperately for some way to "treat" Dexter--only to have Vogel explain to him that psychopaths couldn't be cured?

14. Ayelbourne

And we actually know for a fact that he hadn't. Harry's first attempt to help Dex was to take him hunting.

15. Seven of Five

Seven of Five Stupid Sexy Flanders! Premium Member

That was a pretty good opener. I wish that they just picked up after LaGuerta's murder, as I would have enjoyed seeing Deb and Dexter cope with the fallout. It seems a bit of a cheat that it's six months later, especially since Batista won't be continuing with LaGuerta's case. He just obliviously ripped up those warrants, and didn't even seem bothered by Dexter's comments about how she died because she wouldn't leave things alone.

But then the police in Dexter have always been incompetent, as that would get in the way of him doing his thing. ;)

Despite this, I totally loved Deb's spiral into despair. For someone who has always been so uptight with her own moral code, I found it believable for her to be muddying the lines between being undercover and actually living in desperation. Her cries of her deserving to be in such a state were so sad.

I was immediately suspicious of the new Dr. Vogel, as her and Dexter kept glancing each other in an obviously subtle way. But then I was happy with the twist that she knows who Dexter really is. I imagine she has a big role to play in his final arc, and I eagerly await it.

Quinn remains as pointless as ever.

16. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

I'm surprised there isn't more activity in this thread. Anyway, watched the third episode last night and I am starting to suspect that Dexter was misdiagnosed by the doctor when he was a kid.

The shrink keeps marveling at how he is able to have such an emotional range for a psychopath and how unusual it is. She calls him a psychopath so frequently it's almost like she's trying to convince herself that he is one when in fact he may not be.

I wouldn't be surprised if the series winds up with Dexter discovering that he isn't a true psychopath and could have avoided his whole lifestyle if he hadn't been diagnosed as a psychopath and had instead been given proper treatment as a child. I can envision a scenario where Vogel is his last kill and he does it because she is the cause of so many deaths. I also wouldn't be surprised if Dexter was not Vogel's first foray into creating a functional psychopath.

Of course I could be totally off base here, but I'm enjoying what I'm seeing so far. I'm looking forward to see how it all (shrink)wraps up!

17. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

His hunger for the kill was there before he had a label put on him.

18. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Yes, but I'm just wondering if a different form of therapy might have allowed him to get past it.

19. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I think it's more that she's marveling at the fact that he's found a way to cure himself of being a complete psychopath more than she's worried that she misdiagnosed him. At the start of the series, he really fit the definition of one. It wasn't until he had Harrison that he genuinely started to change.

As for the doctor herself, I don't know what to make of her. Part of me thinks she may be the actual killer since they're going out of their way not to reveal who it is, and she's the only new significant character on the show, aside from the token black policewoman. So if its not someone we've met, why keep it such a secret from the audience?

20. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Because mysteries are more interesting when they're mysteries?