Spoilers TTN: Fallen Gods by Michael A. Martin Review Thread

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Sho, Jul 21, 2012.

?

Rate Fallen Gods.

1. Outstanding

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  2. Above Average

15 vote(s)
    15.6%
  3. Average

40 vote(s)
    41.7%
  4. Below Average

26 vote(s)
    27.1%
  5. Poor

12 vote(s)
    12.5%
  1. tenmei

tenmei Commodore Commodore

It's on my Treat List for next month - got to plug my way through Seize the Fire first!

2. timothy

timothy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was wondering why this book is listed #3?

3. Sho

Sho Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^ Where?

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I noticed that too. It's at Barnes & Noble. They've had it that way since the book first popped up on the site. I'd been assuming it was a typo they'd fix, but it's still listed that way.

5. NotLKH

NotLKH Lieutenant Red Shirt

Why does your Barnes&Noble link direct us back to this thread?

6. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

7. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Congratulations!

8. DEWLine

Next question:
    Now...does the Andorian Imperial Guard Fleet have a registry ID code for its ships?

And likewise for Andor's merchant service, come to think of it.

9. DEWLine

Trying to nail down a rough estimate of the distance from Iota Leonis to Vela Pulsar. Direct distance between the two...? Celestia is not providing for me here, and I don't know which extra database to plug into that program.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

According to my spreadsheet program for that, and using the positions and distances given in Wikipedia, I get a distance of 931.5 light years (give or take a few).

11. DEWLine

I remember you going to some effort to explain the route past the "local" powers out to the Gum Nebula to begin with in Orion's Hounds. Definitely appreciated, then and now.

12. j3067

j3067 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

That is about as crazy as a Mugato in starfleet...hmm, wait a minute...

I'd Like to see the Vidiians revisited in the Voyager series. I'd like to see what became of them after the 'Think Tank' reference. They were like bizarro Borg... 'Your biological likeness will adapt to service us so that we don't melt into goo'

13. Patrick O'Brien

Patrick O'Brien Captain Captain

Got my copy today. I need to catch up on the Titan series before I read it though.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

This is probably one of the threads I would most like to see picked up in the Trek novels. It was a brief throwaway line, but it's a total game changer for what was briefly a fairly major race in the series.

15. starri

starri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Well, it was on my Kindle this morning, and I had it finished before noon.

It was definitely an improvement on Seize the Fire, but that's really the only positive thing I can say about it. It wasn't a bad book, per se, but compared to the stuff most of the other authors have been putting out, it can't really hold up.

Between this and StF, I wish an editor would encourage Martin not to indulge in starting the story with the aliens. Frankly, if I hadn't forced myself to get through that first chapter to get to the Titan's crew, I could have set it down and not regretted it later. I might be the only one that feels that way, but I think if someone is going to start the story with a more-or-less unfamiliar alien culture instead of the familiar characters, the writing needs to be extraordinarily strong, and this, IMHO, was not.

16. Ronald Held

Ronald Held Vice Admiral Admiral

My copy should appear today. I expect to start it by Friday.

17. Warp Coil

Warp Coil Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was afraid of that. My copy delivered from Amazon today. Once I finish the book I'm currently reading, I'll dive into this one. I'm glad to hear that it's at least better than Seize the Fire.

18. starri

starri Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Having spent a little time turning over the events in my head, I find myself troubled by one thing.

Perhaps I'm just being too "pie in the sky" about it, but even given everything the Federation has been through post-Destiny, I could never, EVER believe that the higher ups would force any Andorian who chose to stay to stay out of his/her job. Especially since, given that I believe this takes place prior to Plagues of Night/Raise the Dawn, there isn't any actual threat. And certainly I don't think anyone would expect any captain to just blithely enforce the order. I get the parellel Martin is going for, especially since it's spelled out overtly in the text, but I just can't buy that as something that the touchy-feely Federation we all know and love would do that.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012
  19. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

A third of the way through and... sigh.

You'll never guess. Riker has made an inadvertent mistake, and an entire civilization is now going to perish unless he fixes it. AND he has to make tricky moral decisions about the Prime Directive and the complications that arise from his diverse crew.
    Just ONE TIME, I want someone to write a Titan book that demonstrates the characters on the ship having some sort of fun. This series is so damn grim. This is arguably the most interesting crew in the ongoing 24th century novels; give them ONE NOVEL without the weight of some tragedy hanging on them the whole entire time.

You have no idea how happy I'd be if the next Titan book was by KRAD. Is all I'm saying.

20. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Just got mine last night on the kindle, will start it tonight. Ahh, the smell of a brand new ebook..