Fantastic Four reboot-- Casting, Rumors, Pix, ect;

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Turtletrekker, Dec 8, 2012.

1. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

She's NBC nightly news anchor Brian William's daughter

2. Joerib

Joerib Lieutenant Red Shirt

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Interesting choice, though if he did get the part, then it's unlikely Williams would be cast as his sister -- or vice-versa. But it's good that they're open to different options rather than defaulting to white.

I had to look up "SMH," but apparently means "shake my head" as if in disapproval. I don't see any reason to object to Jordan being considered. He was good in Chronicle, and he has the right kind of charisma and attitude for Johnny.

4. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

It could still work if he was her adopted brother in this new incarnation, IMO. It could even wind up making them even closer as siblings than in the previous movies if one was over-protective of the other because of the adoptive status.
    Agreed. I really hope they go with him.

5. Joerib

Yes Shaking my head lol!! Jordan was excellent in Chronicle and I don't mind some changes here or there, but the Torch is white! How about a white guy for the Black Panther lol?? I cant think of any alternate story's that featured him as a black guy as far as I remember!

6. Christopher

Seriously? That's what this is about?! Where have you been for the past few decades? We've had Billy Dee Williams as Harvey Dent. We've had Michael Clarke Duncan as Kingpin. We've had Samuel L. Jackson as Nick Fury. We've had Bill Duke as Bolivar Trask. We've had Dania Ramirez as Callisto. We've had Sam J. Jones as Pete Ross (not to mention the half-Chinese Kristin Kreuk as Lana Lang). We're about to have Laurence Fishburne as Perry White. It's not the 1960s anymore, so get the hell over it.

7. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

We even had a black Alicia Masters in the last FF movies!

8. Joerib

Actually I don't need to get "the hell over it" lol!!! Thanks for reminding me about these secondary characters that were changed for film! Sam Jackson was the model they chose for Marvels Ultimate Universe and I like his Fury! Duncan's Kingpin was awful! Maybe they actually want him for H.E.R.B.I.E. that could work..lol

9. Joerib

I love Kerry Washington, she is hot!!! :drool:

10. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

All the comic fanboys are already whining about this news! :lol:

Whoever they pick to be Johnny, they will have a tough time doing better than Chris Evans.

11. Christopher

Oh, good catch. Can't believe I forgot her.

And of course Black Panther is the hereditary monarch of a sub-Saharan African kingdom, so there's a specific reason for his ethnicity. There's absolutely no reason why Johnny Storm or Kingpin or any of the others have to be white. Sure, that's the way it was originally done, but then, Sue Storm was originally weak and passive and the men were condescending to her, because that's how women were seen in the '60s. Should we be slavishly faithful to that as well? The good thing about modern adaptations is that they're reinventions, so they can correct the mistakes and avoid the prejudices of the original works.

12. Joerib

He was really the only thing I liked about the movies, with Michael Chiklis a close 2nd!!

13. Christopher

Evans never worked for me as Johnny. He's a really good Captain America, but I didn't like him in the FF movies. I liked Chiklis, though, and I think Gruffudd could've been a very good Reed if he'd had better material.

14. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Evans and Chiklis were my favorites.

Gruffudd was okay.

Alba and the guy that played Doom were completely miscast.

15. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I haven't seen Chronicle so I can't comment on this guy's acting chops. In my own little narrow minded world (and as a huge FF fan) I literally want to see the characters from the comics made flesh (I wasn't sold on ANY of the casting choices of the previous FF movies. but I am all for getting the best actor for the part and if the rumblings I hear about his talent are correct, Jordon could knock this one out of the park.

16. Christopher

No argument there whatsoever. Alba seemed to be cast based exclusively on how good she looked in her underwear (which is pretty much the extent of her qualifications as an actress). Maybe that would've been okay for Sue as she was portrayed in the early '60s, but the modern Susan Storm-Richards is just so much more than that -- a gifted superheroine, a superb mother, the heart and soul of the Fantastic Four, an intergalactic diplomat of great renown, etc.

I'd kind of like to see Fringe's Anna Torv as Sue. She has the combination of strength, intelligence, dignity, and warmth that the character needs. Let's not do another origin story with a young Reed and Sue -- let's see the team already established as the royal family of the Marvel Universe, with Reed and Sue as accomplished, globally important figures balancing their responsibilities to the world and the universe with their efforts to raise the two most gifted children on the planet.

17. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Oooh. I like Anna Torv as Sue. Good call!

18. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have no problem with this if it happens, but I think the key word in the article is that they're considering Jordan for the role. I think what we can obviously take from this and the Allison Williams rumour is that they're finally holding auditions right now. This is exciting :)

Jessica Alba was the "It" actress at the time she was cast in "Fantastic Four" IIRC, and she wasn't horrible in the role, but I would argue that she wasn't the ideal Sue Storm either. My pick for the remake has always been Alice Eve and this is before her recent blockbusters "MIB III" and "Star Trek: Into Darkness".

19. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm still waiting for the announcement that roles like the Black Panther and Luke Cage have been given to a white actor because he had superior acting ability and was better suited for the part.

20. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

^^ In the past, Asian characters like Charlie Chan were portrayed by White actors, a practice that is now considered racist-- by the same political demographic that wants historically White characters to become "Black Like Me."

I have no patience with the trend of re-casting White characters as Black or Asian or female or whatever. It's not just politically correct, it's condescending. Women and minorities are not second-class citizens. The powers that be should be adding diversity to their fictional universe, not making shallow cosmetic changes.