Does It Get Better???

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by AdmiralScreed, Dec 4, 2011.

1. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

"Dark Frontier" kicks ass in surround sound, especially when the Borg speak. I highly recommended rewatching it that way if you can.

I don't mind "The Disease" either.
    The protocol seems like a sound one being you're now on the other side of the galaxy. New species, new STD's.
    However, it might have been a little more interesting if Harry Kim being the foreigner in the DQ was the one that introduced the STD into their culture instead.

2. AdmiralScreed

AdmiralScreed Captain Captain

I don't think I'll be rewatching Dark Frontier anytime soon since I have a lot of other Trek that I still have to watch, but someday when I do rewatch Voyager (hopefully if it ever comes to blu ray) I'll make sure to watch it at home on my TV with surround sound.

And I agree with you about The Disease. I have to wonder what happened to Harry's girl. They said in the episode that after their species bonded if they were separated it could cause illness, sometimes fatal. Hopefully that didn't happen to Harry's gal. :(

3. exodus

She was pretty hot too.:bolian:

4. AdmiralScreed

Haha, yeah she was kind of pretty. :)

Also, just watched a couple more episodes:

Course: Oblivion: This is what I would call an unnecessary sequel. Demon, the precursor to this episode, was decent and kind of cool but not much more. Of all the episodes that they could have written a sequel to I am very surprised that they chose this one.
    If this episode deserves an award for anything, it's for the most disgusting make-up I've ever seen. The crew looked absolutely hideous after they became infected.
    Notice I'm not commenting much on the actual story. There's a reason for that......it wasn't particularly interesting. Still, it had its moments. The wedding at the beginning was nice, even though it technically never happened.
    4/10

The Fight: What a bizarre episode. I'm not entirely sure what I just watched. This episode was so strange, in fact, that it was actually able to hold my interest.
    5/10

5. exodus

I found "The Fight" is the only ep. of the entire series I can't watch again.
    I liked the Chakotay fear of Alzhiemers plot, I just didn't like how they tried to relate it to "Kid Chaos".

I thought "Course:..." ok in the fact that is was sad.
    They had been given life and they wasted it without anybody ever knowing their story.
    However, I was tired of psudo-Janeway being stubborn to the point of stupidity. For someone with the smarts of a science officer, how come she couldn't except the logic they were going in the wrong direction?

6. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

The one I can't choke down is "The Thaw". I have not rewatched that one in years. In fact it will be just about new to me it's been so long, when I finally make myself do it.

7. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

But it's Michael McKean!

From SPINALTAP!

(TV's Perry White.)

He's so cool in almost anything he does.

then there's one of Kate's best moments ever.

She kills a clown.

And likes it.

8. AdmiralScreed

It's too bad you feel that way. I personally think that The Thaw is a classic. If I made a top 10 list for Voyager it would definitely be on it.

9. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

Actually we do see it later in PROPHECY when the Doc gives his OK for Kim to mate with the Klingon. :klingon:

10. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

"The Thaw" is an amazing episode well liked by most, surprised you don't like it.
    Regarding "The Fight", I'm slightly baffled by your score of 5/10. That episode was incomprehensible trash of the highest degree, I don't think I've ever seen anyone on here say they like it.

11. AdmiralScreed

I didn't love it, I just thought it was merely average. Sure, it had plenty of WTF moments, but at the same I think that was part of this episode's charm. It felt in some ways like Masks from TNG, although I'll admit that I can't sit through Masks without falling asleep. Still, I give Masks and The Fight credit for at least trying something different, even if in both cases they weren't entirely successful. Of all the "bizarre", odd one out episodes, The Thaw is the only one that I've really loved, hence why I gave The Thaw a 9 out of 10 stars.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2012
  12. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

"Drat."

I LOVE "The Thaw"... for a myriad of reasons, the greatest being that final scene between the clown and Janeway which she ends with that throaty...

"I know."

:drool:

13. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Sure you have.

:)

14. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

My guess is that the writers know perfectly well that there isn't really a plausibe hope for Voyager to survive the endless battles on the journey home. Merely continuing on the journey is every bit as senselessly stupid as Janeway is in this episode. I think a lot of them accept the idea that the power of positive thinking can overcome all obstacle. Why not? They see no talent people in creative jobs every day, after all. But this episode is about the tragedy of failure and the triumph of death, so Janeway's cockeyed optimism doesn't get validated by the power of script.

15. You_Will_Fail

You_Will_Fail Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Really? Who?

16. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I would consider "The Thaw" to be a good episode as well. It was different from the usual fare we got.

17. teacake

I will rewatch The Thaw. I think the clowns put me off.

18. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Which one is The Thaw? I think I remmeber that one, but not too vividly.

19. teacake

20 seconds of the Thaw.. pretty much what I remember as far as not liking it. Going to hopefully prove myself wrong on a rewatch though.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bu5cZ4gjFng[/yt]

20. AdmiralScreed

Hahaha, that clip was great.

I think in order to appreciate The Thaw you need to have a somewhat perverse sense of humor. Because that's really what The Thaw is, a comedy. :lol: