Tuvoks Hair... ridiculous

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by StarTrekSlut, Mar 31, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tuvok is an awesome Vulcan. Wonderfully played by Russ.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tuvok was blind and still groomed himself with a straight razor in year of hell.

Tuvok spent two months in a subspace fold where his doo did not expand or bulge in the slightest.... And yes he continued to shave despite not having the correct tools for the job.

Slut, if you fight it, you'll just sink faster.

3. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Tuvok always struck me as more... cultured... than other regular Vulcans like say Spock or Soval. Definitely T'Pol.

And I like that they made him a security officer instead of the science stereotype that was happening.

4. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

Was the Albino from DS9's "Blood Oath" a Klingon?

5. R. Star

According to memory Beta he was. Of course we've seen Klingons with graying hair before so that doesn't mean much. He really didn't act very Klingon though and seemed to regard them quite disdainfully.

6. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

According to Memory Alpha we don't know if he was a Klingon or not.

7. Guy Gardener

Tuvok was also old.

Approaching 100.

Solok was at the Academy at the same time as Sisko, and why would he select a team of crotchety old men to crush humanity? Old people have different fashion to young people. Old people usually stick to the fashion they think is best from when they were prime. My grammy wore the same clothes, and/or identical replacements of those clothes for 50 years. After 1954 is just something that happened to other people.

Tuvok's "prime" period was the 2290s.

It's possible that Tuvok looks exactly like all the other Vulcans who were young and hip in their mid 20s during the 2290s?

8. exodus

He was an albino.
    His hair wasn't graying, it was genetically white just as was his skin. The point I'm getting at is like the Albino, Tuvok's hair could also be explained as a genetic mutation or defect. We also should take into account that Tuvok is not from Vulcan but rather a Vulcan colony where over time this mutation could have evolved over time due to climate and environmental differences compared. While yet still, if there is diversity amoung humans, Klingons(as even Dax has mentioned) and we've even seen it with Hirogen, then why even question diversity in Vulcans?

9. exodus

No, because we saw Tuvok as a young man and his hair was the same.

10. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think the most logical conclusion is that not all Vulcans are alike. Just like with Humans, there are a variety of different ethnicities among Vulcans, and Tuvok represents one of them.

11. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Tuvok's hairline is a betrayal of Gene's Vision(TM) and everything Star Trek stands for.

12. R. Star

Given Wesley Mary Sue Crusher was a big part of Gene's vision, I think we could've used more deviation from it.

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Wesley was insufferable during the first two seasons of TNG, but he started getting much better once better writers got hold of him. I really wish that he had started out as a fresh young Ensign when the show started though.

14. Guy Gardener

I did the math and realized that it would be at least 10 months before Flashback aired on Terrestrial TV first run, so I did the only thing I could... For approximately half the price of the VHS tape that wouldn't be available for a year and a half, I brought the adaptation novel from pocket books for 11 dollars because I could not live without knowing how this story was going to play out.

**Sigh**

It's Tuvok's contemporaries that are the unknown factors not Tuvok. We don't know if they look uniformly like he does clinging to their unilateral perception of "cool" because Vulcan fashion is like a herd of lemmings throwing themselves off a cliff face or if Voyager's tactical officer's look is flying in the face of convention unique.

Or are you talking about when he was a really young man in Gravity ranting about his sex drive for the Andorian Ambassadors daughter or did we see him as a boy on the cliff face losing his friend?

Children are dressed and groomed by their mothers to one degree or another, so these very young versions of Tuvok do not specifically indicate his own choices.

15. R. Star

It didn't hurt he was also two years less bratty by season 3. If Wesley was a fresh ensign from the Academy he'd have to be at least 21 or 22. Which yeah, would mean he's not a 15 year old brat.

The fundamental flaw in Wesley was he's a kid playing on a starship. At least Voyager didn't have Naomi or Icheb parading around the bridge that often.

I always wondered how he'd have turned out if that mumbo jumbo with the Traveller never happened, he graduated from the Academy and ended up on Voyager.

16. SchwEnt

SchwEnt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Maybe part of the Tuvok/Black Guy/Vulcan problem is that ST does show aliens fairly generically.

When we see Vulcans and Cardassians and Ferengi and Andorians and Romulans, each species is shown with broadly similar generic features in each appearance, again and again.

Then later, when something different shows up (black Vulcan, blonde Romulan) it's a big stir.

I know it's a television production and they're trying to create alien life on a budget. But maybe if Vulcans and others were more different from the start, there'd be less fuss later on when black guy Tuvok shows up.

17. C.E. Evans

It's really only a fuss to those that can't get behind the idea that, as with Humans, there can be diversity among some humanoid races too. Tuvok may share physical traits with a Human from (or descended from) Africa, but I bet the region of Vulcan where his ancestors came from wasn't Africa.
    :vulcan:

18. R. Star

Imagine the Klingons surprise at seeing Sisko when they're used to dealing with white people.

19. C.E. Evans

^^^
    True dat. Many people develop impressions based on what they regularly deal with, so if they encounter something different, it can throw 'em for a loop.

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Funny, I don't remember any outcry when we first saw a Klingon played by "some ghetto dude".

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.