Benicio Del Toro to be the villain in the Star Trek sequel?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Hythlodeus, Nov 5, 2011.

1. Hythlodeus

Hythlodeus Commodore Commodore

http://www.moviehole.net/201148472-benicio-del-toro-to-be-the-villain-in-the-star-trek-sequel

2. Vulagr

Vulagr Commander

FRA #190]

Hear all, trust nothing.

3. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

A clone of kirk that grew up in the shadow of a romulan planet and now... etc etc...

4. Procutus

Procutus Admiral Admiral

And just when can we expect this extravaganza to hit the screen if they're not starting work until after the first of the year?

5. Mr Silver

Mr Silver Commodore Newbie

I am 100% in favour of Benicio Del Toro playing the villain in the next Star Trek movie. He's one of my favourite actors and he is one of the most versatile of this generation in Hollywood.

If this is true, I have absolutely no problems!

6. Kelso

Kelso Vice Admiral Admiral

On the destruct button until the last minute!
    He'd be great... as Khan. :devil:

7. Mr Silver

You know, I really don't think that in this day and age a Latin-American actor should be playing a Indian-Sikh character...

8. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

Beginning of shooting to production lock for the last one was a little under fourteen months. I can't think of any reason to expect this one to differ much in that respect.

9. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Hey, why not? We've already got a Latin American actress playing an African character. ;)

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, that was continuing the tradition of having Nichelle Nichols play an African character.

del Toro would be awesome.

11. Mr Silver

But Zoe Saldana is of mixed ethnicity and it was never really stated where Uhura was from on screen.

My biggest problem is when Hollywood continues to cast say Korean or Chinese actors as Japanese or Taiwanese characters or vice versa.

12. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Agreed. :techman:

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm sick and tired of humans playing most of the aliens.

14. Mr Silver

Then I suppose we can find an actor who is willing to absorb a harmless element collected from the moon into their bloodstream so they can declare themselves of extraterrestrial blood! ;)

But seriously, if they were planning to use Khan at some point would it be such a big stretch to find an Indian-Sikh actor to go along with Khan's established origin? After all, there aren't that many Asian actors in big budget western movies. Faran Tahir was the closest they got in Star Trek and he was American born and raised playing a Cuban Captain!

15. PlainSimpleJoel

PlainSimpleJoel Fleet Admiral Premium Member

That was my first thought when I saw it.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I imagine del Toro would be a Klingon. He'd make a good Kor.

17. Mr Silver

This is perfect!

18. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

By this logic, no actor would be allowed to play any character differing appreciably from themself. No Jewish actor could ever portray the role of a character who wasn't a Jew. Anthony Quinn would have been permitted to play neither Zorba the Greek nor Auda Abu Tayi, and Khigh Dhiegh could never have been Wo Fat.

It's called acting, not matching the ethnicity of the actor to that of the character.

Name a Taiwanese character. Go ahead - name just one.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2011
  19. Mr Silver

I have no real issues with an actor of a different ethnicty playing a character of another if they do it well. It's things like an English speaking actor not really bothering to learn the proper accent of the character they are playing that gets to me.

The biggest problem I have is with the stereotyping of Oriental actors that seems to continue. The old mentality was that "all people of the Orient lookalike and therefore can play any Oriental role". But why is it still happening? Do you see any Oriental actors playing non-Oriental characters (by that I mean characters that aren't of any clear Oriental descent)?

There are just some ethnicities that aren't universal to any actor. It's like a white man playing a black character or vice versa - it just doesn't work (unless the black character was born looking white - a'la The Human Stain). Does anyone think that a blonde haired caucasian male with blue eyes could portray Emperor Hirohito in a war epic? Maybe, but with pretty intensive makeup effects which could be considered pretty offensive. It could be compared to a white person going blackface...

I have a deep respect for people of the Orient and I feel it's unfair for western producers to continue to cast them in any Oriental role, just because they bare a few physical similarities. It's like expecting a Caucasian to play a Hispanic character...

Jay Chou - Kato in The Green Hornet (playing a Japanese character)

20. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I was hoping there wouldn't be a mad villain in the film. I wanted something idea based