Homeward

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by WesleysDisciple, Mar 2, 2013.

1. WesleysDisciple

WesleysDisciple Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I find the invocation of the prime directive in this episode DISGUSTING.

And this comes from someone who likes Dear doctor.

In dear doctor, they refuse to cure a disease, afflicting one sapient race, so another sapient race on the planet can come into its own.

If worfs Foster Brother handt have interfered in this episode... A sentient race would have died out to achieve ABSOLUTELY NOTHING.

At least letting people fight their own wars can help give them a history, a culture...

Letting The people overthrow a dictator and establish a democracy, gives tehm a since of accomplishment, a pride to pass on to their heirs.

But this whats it accomplish other then communicate an abstract?

2. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's a pretty dumb premise for an episode, One would think that the underlying principles of any intergalactic governing body would be to at least preserve, if not fully aid the existence of intelligent life

Is sentient life so abundant that you are just willing to let it perish? That's not only damn heartless, it's also incredibly shortsighted, & contradicts what we know of modern Human behavior, which is to aid a species close to extinction

3. The Librarian

The Librarian Commodore Commodore

Really, a lot about the episode could have been saved if it had been changed from Nikolai wanting to save some of the people versus everyone else wanting to leave them all to die, to Nikolai wanting his particular group of friends saved versus everyone else considering some other option (based on genetic variety, cultural ability to adapt, whatever). Realistically the Enterprise could have saved only a handful of people from the planet anyways and you still could have tried to keep the minimal-intervention mission using the holodeck (or better yet multiple holodecks linked together) so that the basic story remains.

4. WesleysDisciple

WesleysDisciple Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Another curious question.. ideas on how the community evolved, since presumably they eventualy split into multiple tribes...

5. heavy lids

heavy lids Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I can't watch this without seeing Paulie from Goodfella's as Worf's brother. Only good thing about this episode.

6. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination

it also contradicts the TOS Prime Directive, as seen in "the paradise syndrome."

7. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Badly written episode, which was a big problem with many episodes in season seven.

It's inconsistent with the Picard from "Pen Pals" and the one that broke the PD nine times if it meant doing the right thing.

8. Jonas Grumby

Jonas Grumby Vice Admiral Admiral

I was a big fan of TNG first time around. Occasionally, I get the urge to re-watch the entire series (an endeavor for which I, realistically, do not have the time). I dissuade myself by remembering that doing so would eventually bring me back to this episode. :D

9. black_dranzer

black_dranzer Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Whenever I see this episode now, I always flash back to Donna from Doctor Who begging the Doctor to just save *someone*, even if he can't save an entire town.

10. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Admiral

Death is better than change? Couldn't believe the bullshit this episode was pitching. :lol:

11. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It was Season 7, what did fans expect?:sigh:

12. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Awful episode, but par for the course in season 7. After all, it's the same season that shoves a "warp drive is bad for the environment" message down our throats only to realize it was a stupid idea, and then ignore it faster than Voyager's Threshold. :lol:

Another good example is how Insurrection completely contradicts the message in Journey's End.

I bet if Trek was still on TV today, there would have been a preachy episode drawing a comparison between replicator food and GMOs. :lol:

13. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

:techman:

14. Mott the barber

Mott the barber Commodore Commodore

This ep. reminds me of Insurrection the way they transported the society from one place to another via the holodeck.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Kind of sad that they stole the plot from one of the worst episodes for a movie.:lol:

16. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Insurrection recycled elements from at least three episodes: Who Watches the Watchers?, Homeward, and Journey's End.