That Vulcan in Engineering?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Garak007, Aug 22, 2010.

1. Garak007

Garak007 Lieutenant Red Shirt

He has been in a few episodes working along side with B'Elanna Torres in engineering. I can't remember what happened to him or did he just disappeared?

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

3. Garak007

Garak007 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Ah thanks I could not remember his name:

That's cool that they continued his arc through the books where he became chief engineer on Voyager and then Hawking.

It was kind of strange having a character to appear more regularly on a series and all of a sudden you don't see them again.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

He was in the last few episodes too. So Vorrik only vanished mostly for a long a while and not completely.

5. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So any reason why they changed his character's name? I understand the Paris/Locarno thing because they were different enough (sort of) but Vorik was a very secondary character, I don't see any reason to change him.

6. exodus

exodus Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't think they were supposed to be the same character. Plus, that would be some hell of a harsh demotion to go from the Enterprise to Voyager.

7. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

Why? Wouldn't it be a promotion to go from an entry-level fix-it on the Enterprise to second in charge of the engineering section of a smaller ship, for example? And it's not like Voyager was a garbage scow, at the time it was among the fastest and most advanced ships in Starfleet.

8. exodus

But the Enterprise is the flagship and only the top graduates get to serve on it. Any other ship would be a step down regardless of rank.

9. Lynx

Lynx Vice Admiral Admiral

Maybe he tried to make love with Troi the same way as he did with B'Elanna and Riker got him shoved out the back door from the Enterprise and then he ended up on Voyager.

As for his career on Voyager, he did end up being a dignified and skilled member of the Shuttle and Torpedo Building Team. :techman:

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

It's all because of royalties. The character of Tom Paris exists because if they had used Locarno, the writer of "The First Duty" would be entitled to get paid every time the character was mentioned.

So it is with Vorik. That character only exists because otherwise whoever wrote the first TNG episode with Taurik would need to get paid.

11. FordSVT

FordSVT Vice Admiral Admiral

That's just stupid. People get transferred in Starfleet all the time. Do you think that everyone who gets on the Enterprise stays there until they retire? Of course only the best graduates get on the flagship, but that's just because every ship needs low ranking members in order to have a functioning chain of command.

Again, to use a hypothetical, why would it be a demotion to go from being a Lt. in charge of transporters on the Enterprise to a Lt. Commander in charge of the engine room on an Akira class ship?

12. exodus

Again, I'm going to give you the same answer. ;)
    A Lt. Commander on a Akira class IMO just makes you the same as every other LT. Commander on every other ship or post.
    I don't find it impressive as someone serving on the flagship.
    I would think on a service record, that would stand out.
    If you find it stupid, then so be it.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2010
  13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't it hilarious that it is Ron Moore who wrote the First Duty and it is Ron Moore they played the shell game with for seven years thieving food out of his children's faces and clothes off his wifes back?

Out of the Gate Voyager fucked Ronald D. Moore, and not gently.

Rene contributed to Lower Decks.

It's like there was some sort of cold war raging between the DS9 and Voyager production staffs which we barely saw the tip of.

14. Starbreaker

Starbreaker Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wonder whose idea it was to bring Vorik and Carey back for the last few episodes. They could have been useful for uh... a bunch of other episodes.

15. exodus

I know I've seen the actor that plays Carey in several other show & films, so he might not have been available to be continiously reaccuring. I do the actress that plays Sam Wildmen also writes & produces. I believe TBS' "My Boys" is her production.

16. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It is a shame that they didn't have more revolving guest stars. Apart from Vorik, it seemed that it was only in the final series that we had minor recurring characters like Chell and Carey returning and Wildman appeared once per season in episodes relating to motherhood, which is annoying as she was the only science officer we ever really saw. I think the show would have been stronger if we'd had all the rebel maquis appearing occasionally in addition to Chell, Carey occasionally, Wildman appearing twice per season instead of once so she could actually do some science officer stuff, and the twins as proper characters in a couple of shows so that Harry's angst could have been part of a wider plot.

17. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

Well, we did get Ayala. He even got six lines over the course of seven seasons :techman:

18. exodus

Icheb.:)

There was a black crewman with kinda bulgy eyes that kept popping up from time to time. I can't recall the ep. exactly but it's one where they turn the mess hall into a sickbay & Janeway sits down next to him and comforts him. Does anyone know who I'm talking about? He wears a security/engineering uniform.

On a side note, I'm kinda glad they didn't focus on side characters too much because if you couldn't give enough development to your main members like Tuvok, Neelix, Harry & Chakotay. Then IMO you're stealing screne time from actors that deserved it far more. But that's just a behind the scenes comment. If we didn't have to worry about such things..............then yes. For a ship of only 150, we should have been bumping into Chell or Tal Celest every other episode.

19. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lol - that sounds like Ayala in fact. I actually find that the main characters can develop in more interesting ways if they are put into situations with different, fresh characters. Harry's arc would have been more fun to me if we'd actually had a few episodes where could see the love triangle with the twins developing as part of the plots of other stories rather than an awkward add-on. We might even have developed as much sympathy for the twin with the crush on him if she'd been allowed to develop fully. Plus we'd have got some spare characters to bump off - killing one of the twins would have made a great story.

20. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

^ Yeah, I know him. He remained unnamed AFAIR.