The Dashcam Chronicles

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Tiberius Jim, Mar 28, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

And this is a text-book example of how not to drive. Testosterone is not a good co-driver.

2. Tora Ziyal

Tora Ziyal Vice Admiral Admiral

With occasional exceptions, I find this board's population to be far more civil than the internet at large.

3. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Sadly, that's true.

Anyway, I agree with Flux. The woman, essentially, changed lanes in an intersection. Where I am doing that is illegal, I've gathered from Flux that that is okay where he is so long as the lane you're going into isn't occupied/about to be occupied.

Which in this case the lane clearly would've been Flux's since he has his signal on and was in the process of turning into his lane when the van changed lanes in the intersection.

Also, Flux had a green light, I assume the van would've then had a "Yield on Green" light, meaning Flux has the right-of-way in this case. Had there been an accident it would have maybe been declared the van's fault. Failure to Yield.

The pedestrians are a non-factor in this case as Pedestrians ALWAYS have the right-of-way no matter what is going on and the van should of yielded to them as well instead of trying to go around them. (The pedestrians also could have shown a degree or two of self-awareness and not entered the intersection when the van was going to turn or walked faster or something.)

I dunno, again, I don't begrudge Flux for posting these videos, do enough commuting in the suburbs little incidences like this can really tick you off. Flux is just unloading a bit by posting and commenting on these videos. A few years ago there used to be someone whose blog I followed who did the same thing (though still photos rather than a dashcam) during his morning commute somewhere around LA. Mostly petty stuff like people not accelerating to get on the highway (leading to a "Test Drive" of the repeat-offender car he saw doing this to ensure it was capable of accelerating to freeway speeds inside of the quarter-mile long ramp) people slowing down to gawk and construction equipment or an accident on the opposite side of the highway or a piece of trash in the shoulder.

Again, mostly petty stuff. Still, entertaining enough, though.

4. Roshi

Roshi Admiral Admiral

Wow, that post screams "friend me on Facebook!"

5. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

no, it screams ''i am also easily amused!''

6. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Unless you've got a couple of pedestrians on video making jokes about their dongles you've got no traction here.

7. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    I'm shocked you'd break the flow of traffic with this avenue of shocks, and retreaded jokes. It's tired and worn.

8. Tiberius Jim

Tiberius Jim Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, if you guys aren't fans of my videos you'll pretty much hate this guy's channel. Not only are his videos about 10-15 minutes long on average comprised of short clips, he's on the horn in just about every situation, most of the time unnecessarily. What makes matters worse is one of his cars has a horn that sounds like a dying mountain goat. I agree with the idea of what he's doing, obviously, but he goes a bit overboard with the horn and some of the incidents don't require it.

I'm not saying that you'll like mine after seeing his, but it is an example of how there's far worse out there on the ol' Tube. I'll be limiting mine to the most egregious violations or just funny/weird stuff I come across. I admit clips of me coming across ridiculously slow drivers probably doesn't amount to the most entertaining channel. I passed a car today that had an entire (and gigantic) tumbleweed lodged under its front bumper, and they were just driving along like everything was cool. They were just outside of my camera's range or I'd have posted it.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  9. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Some of those videos, the guy doing those dashcams is definitely in the wrong.

I'm not sure what you are trying to do here. Are you trying to make yourself look good by showing us someone who does it worse?

You don't like how we have been responding to your videos? Fine. Ignore us. You don't have to win our approval. Doing this is really your business.

Last edited: Apr 1, 2013
  10. Yoda

Yoda Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't quite make it all the way through that guy's video. Too long for what it is. I'd say there's a happy medium where you're not posting just single clips, but it's nowhere near 15 minutes either.

There was one clip in there that I did laugh. When the dude in front of him at a red light just starts backing up.

The one where he captioned WTF WTF WTF WTF at the car stopped at the green light... seemed pretty obvious... there was a bag lady in the intersection and he apparently decided to let her cross in front. Though she was just camping out at the median waiting her opportunity I think.

Having watched a good chunk of that guy's video, and a few of yours... this is what I got for constructive criticism:

Most of the clips just aren't interesting enough. For it to be interesting you need gems of clips that depict events that don't happen to every single one of us every single day. I mean c'mon... how many 'old man turns onto my lane in front of me and doesn't accelerate quickly while I wait till I've closed the gap to his car before I decelerate at all to emphasize just how much he's inconvenienced me!' can you watch? Well I didn't count but I'm surely at my limit.

The other major problem I have with these clips is I'm stuck listening to someone's shitty music, followed by them honking, and maybe throwing out an expletive. The expletives are really the only thing in there with entertainment potential IMO. You need some quality wit and have funny reactions to shit you're seeing. Barring that, maybe reviewing the drivers, recording your audio after the fact... channel AVGN or something.

Of course, the dashcam stuff out of Russia depicts far crazier driving, so if I ever decide that I just need to sit down and watch dashcam footage, it'd probably be that.

11. Tiberius Jim

That's another thing I'm going to be more conscious of: the things I say when these incidents happen. I know I should watch the language...I mean my mother does see these after all and there are far more clever and witty ways to express my displeasure. I may just cut audio out altogether and either dub in commentary after or just leave it mute to then also avoid the music issue. I realize not everyone appreciates The Used or Sevendust. :p We'll see.

As for the other guy's videos..yeah, there do appear to be quite a few instances where he could have avoided a situation but chose not to, either in order to make for a better video clip or just out of aggression. I can see where that might come across in some of my clips and will try to chill out on that front (although I still remain that I was not at all in the wrong in that Mazda van clip, but I digress...) and let the dumb people come to me and not try to manufacture an incident.

And if I do use my horn, at least it sounds good and not like a tortured sheep.

12. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

The point you keep missing is that you were NOT in the wrong, exactly (we agree), but that you had an easy opportunity to HELP the situation, and you chose not to do that in favor of drivng more aggressively to make your point. Legally, you're fine. Doesn't help prevent accidents, but you won't get cited when the cops get there, I guess...

13. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seriously, after this embarrassment of a thread had played out and was about to fade into the annals of TBBS history, you came back for more?

I hope you get another 100 post drubbing Flux, you'll deserve it.

14. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

Hitler was also a terrible driver.

15. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

And I'm sure all the "bitches" out there are so relieved to hear this. Good on you, Flux!

You might well achieve the impossible if you go that route and make these videos even more boring.

...which, as we all know, makes all the difference. Thank goodness in this epic struggle you have that last ace up your sleeve!

16. Tiberius Jim

I still do not see where I failed to help the situation. Do you not see me roll to nearly a complete stop, partially so I can let the pedestrians clear my path and then when I realize the woman is swinging wide? I didn't try to shove my way through the intersection. Had I done that, there would have been an accident. Yeah, so I honked...not sure how that makes the situation worse. She was driving as if she didn't even see me...so I made sure she knew I was there with the horn.

Simply put, I'm not embarrassed. I don't see anything embarrassing about this thread. Just because a group of people don't like something I've done is no reason for embarrassment. I'll simply take the feedback and apply it to the future as I stated I would do in my previous post. If people think that I'm going to be shamed and embarrassed just because they don't approve of what I've done, they need to get over themselves. I'm sure everyone can think of a time when they did something, created something that some people (not all people, just some) did not like and they carried on anyway.

I should have known that for one post where you're actually decent and polite to me there would be another one just as equally sarcastic and derisive as well. I guess it's that whole "for every action there is an equal and opposite..." deal. I love how I actually accept some of the feedback I've gotten yet that's still not good enough. Unbelieveable.

17. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Yes, that is kind of the problem.

18. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

One need not necessarily preclude the possibility of the other, you know.

19. Pingfah

Pingfah Fleet Admiral Admiral

Oh really. Because the general thrust of the feedback is "don't be a petty minded egomaniac who films people from his car and posts it on Youtube".

But I'll go out on a limb and say you probably won't be applying anything from that.

No of course not. You should be shamed and embarrassed by the actual things you have done.

20. Tiberius Jim

The feedback I'm getting is to make sure there's actually something interesting going on in the videos and to not try to manufacture something that wouldn't have happened otherwise. It's been stated by several people that they don't mind that I record the videos (the core purpose of recording being for evidence in the event of an incident) as long as what I'm posting has some form of entertainment value.

I didn't setup a camera with the sole purpose of filming bad drivers. The evolution of the idea went something like this: I put my phone on a mount when I drive for the purpose of using it hands free (it's illegal in California to drive while talking on the phone with the phone in your hand) should I receive a call. I happen to put the mount somewhere where the camera has a line of sight out the windshield. I think to myself...hey, dual purpose. I put my phone there anyway, I have 32GB of memory and 1080p camera...why not record in case something happens? I start coming across shitty drivers and I post them to Facebook. It becomes something I do every now and then and people seem to like them. I figure I might as well upload them to their own specific channel on YouTube as I have seen many similar channels. I then share said channel with the Trek BBS and am told I should be ashamed and embarrassed.

Shamed and embarrassed. For posting some harmless videos on YouTube? Something a lot of others also do on YouTube. Should all of those people be shamed and embarrassed, too? For doing something they feel is entertaining to people (many of those channels have many, many subscribers and views so *somebody* is entertained by these things)? Should the producers of a TV show that you don't happen to like be shamed and embarrassed simply because you don't like it? Who the hell are you to be so judgemental? Hell, I'm simply posting some videos from inside my car. You're practically telling me I should hate myself and be ashamed of my very existence because of it. Yet somehow I'm the judgemental one? :confused:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.