"Thrusters on full" ~Spock

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by RoJoHen, May 17, 2009.

1. BenRoethig

BenRoethig Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It was Spock basically admiring the ability of Kirk to get the job done by throwing the rule book out the airlock and giving it few phaser blasts.

2. EnsignRicky

EnsignRicky Commodore Commodore

Throughout the whole movie it had been bugging him what Pike could have said other than "punch it" that the fans wouldn't have considered too 'Star Warsy'. In the closing moments it finally came to him.

3. Vicki

Vicki Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I thought it was perfect. He was very quietly noting to himself that this Kirk ~is~ his Kirk. And the grand adventure is just beginning.

All out effort, pedel to the metal, balls to the wall, that was and is Kirk.

4. Bishbot

Bishbot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

As did I. If not an actual reference to that line, but a reference to the fact that is the sort of thing that these future space people have been shown to say in the past.

5. Lightbulb Sun

Lightbulb Sun Ensign Newbie

"second star to the right, and straight on 'till morning."

*Shrug* Kirk's last command line... maybe?

6. Jeri

Jeri Vice Admiral Admiral

This made me think that of all the hell the black-hole brought Spock, one bright spot must have been seeing Kirk again, as he knew him as a young man.

7. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

yep, and Nimoy struck just the right note. he showed the effect the meeting with young Kirk had on Prime Spock to great effect. he almost gave an emotional scene that would have brought the house down ;)

8. Jeri

Well, there's not much that can beat thinking he killed him, I guess.

9. indranee

see, Jeri, that's why I love ya... you always, ALWAYS, get my TOS references :adore:

10. Jeri

I do appreciate your effort! :D

11. indranee

oh, it's no effort :D

12. aristotle9

aristotle9 Cadet Newbie

I think you all have missed the point, although often coming close.
    Abrams loves easter eggs right? No coincidence that the Corvette was a '66. Indeed, I think he meant for people to be talking this line over and phrased it as a riddle, intending complicated reasoning.

Everyone knows that "Ahead 1/4 impulse" was Kirk's phrase. He used it, as already noted, at times when thrusters were the correct method. One of Spock's primary character points is that he is the rational counterpoint to Kirks 'seat of the pants' behavior. It ties into Pike saying "be carefull with the ship Spock, she's brand new." For someone to say that to Spock is humorous because he is careful by nature.

With this line, Spock is delivering the '1/4 impulse' line but in the way HE would have delivered it - the regulation based, correct way. Its like saying "...and let the adventure begin again, but this time please be careful." And indeed he gets his wish when Kirk orders thrusters and not impulse when leaving space dock.

Its complicated, and in complete keeping with Spock's character. The line is bad at first, and good when you think about it. Spock likes metaphor, but he does not like carelessness.

13. Anticitizen

Anticitizen Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I've racked my brain to think of a better line, and the conclusion I've come to is that it would've been best if his last line had been the 'good luck' he delivered to NuSpock.

14. Edge of Forever

Edge of Forever Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I didn't mind the line, I loved the delivery and the meaning but it could have been better. "Thrusters on Full" was not enough really.

Just to throw it out there, Technically NimoySpocks final line wasn't that but more so:

"Space: the final frontier. These are the voyages of the starship Enterprise. Her ongoing mission: to explore strange new worlds, to seek out new life-forms and new civilizations; to boldly go where no one has gone... before."

15. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm too lazy to go through the thread, but according to the Star Trek magazine, Nimoy didn't have a line in that final scene, and decided he would add that line as a way of sending the new crew on their journey. He liked how it ended up tying into Sulu's next line, which he didn't know at the time.

16. Rackon

Rackon Commander Red Shirt

Yup - it was a Nimoy improv. No line at all over the pullback in the script, or the forst few takes - nimoy asked Abrams if he could do it one moer time with the line. Abrams liked it and used the take with the adlib in the film.

And I thought it worked great. Spock's blessing on Kirj and the NuCrew, freighted with a lifetime of memories.

17. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked the idea behind the line, but I think something like "Warp Speed, Mr Sulu" would have had a little more power behind it, and plus it's more of an iconic phrase.

Although obviously it wouldn't have flowed as well into the next scene...

18. MvRojo

MvRojo Vice Admiral Admiral

Nah, that's too specific to one character. I think it was better the way it was.

19. DaveyNY

DaveyNY Admiral Admiral

DaveyNY from Skin-Neck-Ta-Dee (Schenectady)
    How about... "Warp speed..., (dramatic pause) My Friends..."

I think if Spock had said softly..., "May the wind always be at your back..." it would have been a great reference to Kirk's love of sailing through the stars and the whole Horatio Hornblower thing.

20. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

That's cool - I didn't know that.