Wiped Episode Discoveries

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Allyn Gibson, Jun 13, 2013.

1. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I don't doubt it's possible. In fact, it's been rumored that episode 3 of The Web of Fear is in the hands of a greedy collector.

I just find your claims with their lack of evidence (links, articles, etc.) dubious.

Last edited: Dec 13, 2016
    The Wormhole and Turtletrekker like this.
  2. Nightowl1701

Nightowl1701 Commodore Commodore

Current rumours out there in the Vortex as we head into 2017:

- A complete missing First Doctor story, plus two orphaned episodes, have returned. Word of this comes from a source who correctly foretold the Enemy/Web finds and the Power animation. The title most commonly mentioned is Part 4 of Galaxy 4, the third season opener (the one with the psychotic blond Drahvins and the too-cute-to-be-menacing Chumblies). As this would put Galaxy 4 at 50% complete, animation may be an option to complete it.
    - The complete story, title not given, was not returned by Philip Morris.
    - Dan Hall, Head of Licensing at Simply Media, recently congratulated Mark Ayers & Crocman for completing restoration work on a 'lost BBC title' soon to make its online debut. Simply Media posted a WIP end slate of this coming 'classic.' (I personally suspect this isn't DW-related. May be from Out of the Unknown.)
    - Morris has tracked down the private collector who snagged The Web of Fear Part 3, and negotiations are in progress to get it back.

3. N-121973

N-121973 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm guessing the missing 1st Doctor story is Marco Polo, because that's the one that was mentioned in connection with the Enemy of the World/Web of Fear finds?

4. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ah yes, I remember. It was all back at the BBC, fully restored and just waiting to be released.

THREE YEARS AGO!

Nothing is impossible but I certainly don't put any store in specific rumours anymore.

5. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

This thread continues to provide as much entertainment as the Axanar thread.

It'll probably last as long too...

Pindar likes this.
  6. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Reminds me of a running gag on a radio comedy talk show my father was the co-host for way back when: "We can confirm that this rumor definitely is a rumor!"

Emperor-Tiberius likes this.
  7. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know, this whole missing episodes debacle when it was in its prime was an amusing diversion. Axanar is just scary.

8. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

As unlikely as these rumors are to become true, I would like to hope 2017 will start off on a very happy note.

Probably too much to hope for...

9. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It would be nice if something turns up. Currently, I'm getting two strong, but contradictory, rumours, without any second source to make either convincing.

10. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

There better be something...

11. N-121973

I'll bite :drool:, what are the rumours?

12. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

The usual - that Marco Polo has turned up complete, with a coupleof other loose episodes.

13. diankra

No, not th a one. But the others are so lacking in support that there's no point spreading them with a bit more evidence.

14. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I heard something about "The Massacre" maybe a year ago, that it was found but had degraded so much that it was unusable.

15. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hate to eat the bait, but... when can we have any kind of confirmation?

16. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Confirmation will come on a day of the week that ends in "y".

Emperor-Tiberius likes this.
  17. N-121973

And the episodes will feature as extras on the 'Star Trek: Axanar' special edition Blu-Ray that Alex Peters still thinks he'll be able to produce :lol:.

Pindar and Turtletrekker like this.
  18. The Four Doctor

The Four Doctor Commander Red Shirt

Simpson Park, Mitcham, Melbourne, Australia
    Marco Polo is only hyped because it was the most widely sold story yet sod's law meant that none of it survived.

19. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, I think the story's own merits play a role too. It was the first real historical serial in the series (prehistory doesn't count), photos of its beautiful sets survive, and it reads and sounds like a pretty good story. Plus it's the longest and most epic of the completely missing historicals (the others being "The Myth Makers," "The Massacre of St. Bartholomew's Eve," "The Smugglers," and "The Highlanders," all 4-parters).

20. diankra

But also because it was the most widely sold 1960s story. People assume that means more prints, so it must be out there somewhere, whereas it really just means the prints went through more places (Though there do we to have been more prints in circulation than for any other one. But not many more).