DC's New 52: Reviews and Discussion (Spoilers welcolme and likely)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JD, Aug 30, 2011.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Kinda bummed about the new Green Lantern. I really wanted to get into it fresh, but it appears to just be picking up from some earlier storyline that I don't know or care about. And the Guardians suddenly making Sinestro a corp member again?? Even with what little I know, that seems like WAY too big a stretch with all the shit that character's done over the years.

And who the hell is this Damian kid in the Batman and Robin title? Wish DC would have thought some of this stuff through more for newbies like me, who don't want to spend hours researching everything on wikipedia beforehand just to undersand what's going on. lol

2. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

He's what the book said he was. Batman's son.

3. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

If you want to know:

At the conclusion of the last big Green Lantern story, John Stewart was forced to destroy Mogo, the living planet Green Lantern. Mogo acted as the "moral compass" if you will for guiding rings to new recruits.In the aftermath of this, a power ring found its way to Sinestro. Sinestro is probably the person least happy about this. The Guardians aren't thrilled wither, but they've decided to just let this play out and see what happens. At the same time, the Guardians cast Hal out of the corps for his record of being reckless and insubordinate. The final straw was him ending the latest big threat by killing Krona, the mad guardian.

I agree though, that it's a shame the titles didn't create a jumping on point for new readers. Between the movie, and the reboot, I would imagine there would be several new people interested in the title. Instead, they're coming in during the middle of a story that requires several years of back story for.

4. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

Amanda loses a team on a mission. Turns to food to bury her feelings of guilt.

I don't think that's a book. that's the next Mutha Fucking Summer Cross Over Event!

All the Heroes! Consumed with Guilt! Turn to FOOD!

They should totally get Ben and Jerry's to sponsor the cross over event.

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Uh davejames it's been mentioned many times in this thread that Damian is Bruce's son and has been since Morrison introduced him in Batman and Son. Also I don't know if you read Green Lantern #1 properly because Gauntlet was most definitely against Sinestro being in the Corp and the rest of the Guardians made it quite clear that it was the ring that chose Thaal not them. Green Lantern is not a fresh start, it has been known for months that it was taking place after the current story line which was War of the Green Lanterns.

6. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Fixed that for you.

7. Professor Zoom

But for those who are starting or rejoining, the new 52 was advertised as a great time to jump on. They should've made it so. I'm not saying they had to start GL over... but help identify key things for new readers. One method was in Animal Man--the interview at the beginning of the book.

8. Admiral_Young

^ Indeed which has been my problem with the relaunch from the start. They've claimed it was to bring in new readers but like I have stated it seems they didn't want to totally alienate their long time fans either so they tried to have their cake and eat too. It has a forced mentality to it that I don't like.

Gene Ha is going to be drawing a few pages of Action #3 which deals with the last days of Krypton...

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2011/09...ool+Comic+News+&+Rumors)&utm_content=FaceBook

9. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

23 inch waist. Fun fact: Prada, Versace, and Armani have all banned size zeros from modeling their clothes. Well, it's not that fun, since I like size zeros, although I understand it's a dangerous size for 95% of the population.

In comics, really tiny waists but gargantua tits isn't out of the norm. Maybe that's why they all wear costumes; if you've got to get something specially tailored, might as well go all out. Another fun fact: when you google "small waist large breasts clothing" google knows that "tits" is a synonym for breasts! Judgment Day is coming.

P.S.: speaking of tits, there's a scene in Batwoman that bugs me, when Bette Kane is putting on a relatively slack training outfit. She's not wearing a bra. Maybe I'm off-base--not having boobs myself I can not speak with final authority--but I find this somewhat unlikely, or at least unwise.

10. Professor Zoom

I understand why they wouldn't want to alienate their current fans. That makes sense--as they will most likely continue to be the biggest part of the readership.

But, it doesn't have to be an either/or situation--either a hard reboot or just continue on.

It looks like what they are doing is we're stepping into the story already in progress. (The story meaning the DCU). For everyone, some stuff has already happened. They don't need to start over, they just need, as writers and artists, find an efficient and easy way to get the new readers up to speed.

Like that 1 page synopsis of Supes origins in All Star Superman. Or Buddy's interview in Animal Man.

For decades comics brought in new readers without having to reboot--because the writers and the artists were conscience that any issue might be the one to bring people in.

11. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yep.

The books with the biggest established readership change least. That makes sense.

12. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Well, only the ones drawn by Rob Liefeld.

13. Admiral_Young

@Dennis That doesn't explain Superman though...unless DC thought his readership base was down of course :) Out of all DC's characters Supes seems to get the most tinkering done to him. I could understand how that would annoy fans. For the most part though I've had no problem with the tinkering done to him over the last few years, and I'll get over no more Lois and Clark (fictional wedding or not ;) )

14. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

And wasn't it?

No, most of them.

15. Professor Zoom

I don't think they THOUGHT his readership was down... it WAS down... compared to Batman and Green Lantern.

16. Admiral_Young

^^I have no idea. Don't have the figures for the last five or six years...I've of course stated that the whole Johns/New Krypton run stuff got me back reading the character for the first time since the late 90's. I'm not sure how other Superman fans felt about the run...I loved all the retconning and reconnection to the Legion past stuff as well as the connection to the DonnerVerse.

@Zoom Lantern and Batman have enjoyed successful readerships since popular writers have been guiding their books. I wouldn't be surprised if there was a dip when Johns decided to leave Action Comics in the middle of his run to concentrate on Blackest Night. I think it hurt the latter half of the run.

17. Professor Zoom

That's why Lantern and Batman haven't had a lot of changing, unlike the others.

Edited to add a question:

So.... how long do you think it will take for DC to decide which to dump? With TV you can see your numbers pretty quickly, you're putting something out once a week. But in the publishing world, once a month... Will they wait until issue 5? 10?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2011
  18. theenglish

theenglish Vice Admiral Admiral

19. Professor Zoom

20. Servo

Servo Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Red Lanterns intrigued me a lot more than Green Lantern.