Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel, DVD

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Jul 18, 2011.

?

How do you rate Captain America: The First Avenger?

Poll closed Feb 28, 2012.
  1. A+

34 vote(s)
    19.2%
  2. A

51 vote(s)
    28.8%
  3. A-

34 vote(s)
    19.2%
  4. B+

27 vote(s)
    15.3%
  5. B

15 vote(s)
    8.5%
  6. B-

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  7. C+

5 vote(s)
    2.8%
  8. C

4 vote(s)
    2.3%
  9. C-

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

1 vote(s)
    0.6%
  1. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Captain America: The First Avenger-Review, Discuss, Grade, Sequel,

Or he knew him when Tony was a kid / teen.

2. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

They did indeed TRY this route first but it just wasn't working. It was so well publicized that it's no surprise people just didn't hear how they ended up going the above route. At best this actor was used as a fallback a "just in case" as the article says.[/QUOTE]

Not saying you're lying, but could you provide a source for that? Your link doesn't say anything about it not working.

3. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I'm surprised they didn't name Jones' character "Duffy", after Steve Rogers' more memorable Sgt. Carter-style drill sergeant in the comics.

4. CaptainCanada

CaptainCanada Admiral Admiral

I don't see how that's surprising. Phillips was the guy in charge of the program, and has always been mentioned as such.

5. jep316

jep316 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

One of my favorite little scenes was when The Red Skull and Arnim Zola were escaping to Skull's Focke-Wulf Triebflügel "thrust-wing fighter" and Zola pointed out it was one man and asked how he was going to get out,now at this point in any other movie is where the Skull would have killed him but instead gave him the keys to his car and told him not to get a scratch on it. :lol:

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

The Red Skull. A real stand-up kinda guy. :p

7. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, he did kill more Nazis than anyone else in the movie.

8. The Old Mixer

Hence the "more memorable" part. Phillips only figured into retellings of the origin. I'm a comics geek, and if you'd asked me before this movie what that character's name was, I couldn't have told you.

9. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

And in fact it seems it worked just fine. LOLA, the folks who actually did the effects work and so should know more than the other folks involved have this to say about Deeny:

If you watch the movie more than once you notice the many instances in which nothing more than body doubling was likely used.

10. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wonderful film til Captain America brings the prisoners back. Then it's not bad, but the only part you care about is Bucky's death. Sebastian Stan seems to really like Steve Rogers. He's a very good actor. But otherwise we know nothing about Barnes. I'm not sure who Winter Soldier is and don't care. The ritual face-off with Red Skull is okay at best. The advent into the present falls even flatter, because the character is truly tough and doesn't fall into a fit of histrionics.

Hayley Atwell seems to like Steve Rogers too but the unresolved sexual tension is as forced as most unresolved sexual tension. I don't really buy her as an agent. Dominic Cooper namechecks Stark and there's nothing else to say. Tommy Lee Jones is pleasant company but is just the guy who provides an artifical obstacle to Steve being a real soldier until it time to turn into the guy who turns him into his own little theater commander (HYDRA front.)

Alan Silvestri is never incompetent but he's not terribly distinguished in my view. This is actually one of the best scores because of Star Spangled Man. The musical montage is wonderful and it's the best big dance number I've seen in a movie since Enchanted. Which is high praise.

Hugo Weaving does his best with Red Skull, who at least has panache. How being a Nazi isn't evil enough and it has to be Fuehrer of the Clay Pigeons is a mystery to me.

But like most everyone else, I say it's Chris Evans performance that make the movie, just like Robert Downey's made Iron Man. It' superb.

A-, for the flat epilogue.

11. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

While he wasn't referred to by name, Duffy did make an appearance during the running exercise when Steve caused the pole to fall.

Also, the use of Phillips makes more sense as Duffy was nothing more than comic relief and had nothing to do with Captain America or Project Rebirth. Plus, outside of the very random appearance, the character has been gone from the comics since the Golden Age. Phillips, on the other hand, has had much more of a presence and importance in Cap's comics that Duffy ever had.

12. Chris3123

Chris3123 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, that's the article I quoted and linked to earlier in the thread. Thanks anyway. ;)

13. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston

I suppose it's possible Wagner would be right at home doing Hollywood style bombastic soundtracks.
    The Funeral March by Wagner
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8wHteSOwW4[/yt]

and Carmina Burana 'O Fortuna' by Orff
    [yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TI40OziM-LI&feature=related[/yt]

14. Admiral Buzzkill

You're welcome - anyway.

15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I have a feeling in a lot of the scenes where you don't see skinny Steve's face, it was probably the body double.

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Yeah, that's a safe bet.

17. The Old Mixer

Not true. He was a regular in the WWII-era Cap adventures that ran for a spell in Tales of Suspense in the '60s, which is how I knew of him in the first place. Are you telling me that this Phillips turns up all the time now? Wasn't the case back in the day, but I haven't actively followed new comics for well over a decade. In my reading experience, Phillips = origin retelling character, Duffy = regular supporting cast member in WWII-era adventures.

18. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

I thought this was great and voted A+.

Evans - who would not have been my first choice - played a blinder and just nailed this part so well. He totally got the compasssion, humanity, decency and courage of the character. He will be Cap for years, just like Reeve was Superman.

Johnston proved his ability with period movies and showed that The Rocketeer wasn't a one-off. This was a 40s cliffhanger to the Nth degree. Would it be too much to hope that every future period superhero movie - Phantom, The Shadow etc - was directed by him?

Not a cast member put a foot or line wrong. From Tommy Lee Jones, to Hayley Attwell, to Toby Jones. And all in between. It's worth pointing out that I recently sawLJ in No Country For Old Men, Toby in Frost/ Nixon, etc. These are heavyweight actors, putting as much into this movie as into any Oscar-botherer.

It just had a great feel-good, righteous feel to it that left you wanting more. A perfect cross between the best of recent superhero movies, cliffhangers and the likes of Where Eagles Dare. Ignore those who say there have been too many superhero movies this year. While I sadly missed Green Lantern in the cinema, I've seen all the rest. I thought Thor set the bar high, but X--Men and this movie passed it. I can't say which was better - CA is too fresh in my mind to be objective - but being second placed is no disgrace.

Roll on Avengers.

19. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I saw this for the third time yesterday afternoon and it continues to hold up.
    I must say that I think I experienced my first showing of a movie where the projectionist left on a 3-D lens filter that I've read about. The entire film felt dark, it was not as bright as my other two showings.

20. Broccoli

Broccoli Vice Admiral Admiral

Yes. Over the past twenty or so years since I've been reading, when they do flashbacks to the WWII era or have WWII era adventures, Phillips is usually involved as Cap's direct superior. Duffy, not so much.