Carol Marcus' British accent

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Noddy, Aug 5, 2013.

1. Noddy

Noddy Captain

Was any explanation given as to why Carol has a British accent in STID, whereas in TWOK, she was definitely American?

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^We were shown that Admiral Marcus worked for Section 31, which had an office in London. It's simple to assume he thus lived in England when his daughter was born and raised. Clearly the Prime universe's Marcus family did not live in England. Carol was born after the timeline split, so there's no reason she couldn't have had a different upbringing from day one. After all, this Carol is in Starfleet while Carol Prime is a civilian. So clearly her life is different.

The real-world reason is that, although the filmmakers tested Eve with an American accent, they decided to go with her natural accent because they felt it helped sell her as a scientist. To Americans, English accent = smart.

3. LOKAI of CHERON

LOKAI of CHERON Commodore Commodore

And to me, her accent is damn sexy!

4. Smellmet

Smellmet Commodore Commodore

Excellent explanation - couldn't have worded it better myself

5. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The same reason Khan had a British accent, I guess?

6. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

How do we know she was definitely American in TWOK? (For that matter, how do you know she's British in STID? ;) )

The teenage children of several Brits I know here in the US have lived here so long they've completely lost their British accents.

7. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

That is so sad.

Did Americans become dumber between the 1980s and 2010s?

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I just assumed that in the Abramsverse she spent more time around her British mother growing up and in the Prime Universe her father had more of a presence in her life. Hell without the looming threat of a Romulan space octopus that could destroy planets, maybe Alex Marcus Prime wasn't as career driven and eventually retired from Starfleet to focus on a family life?

9. Christopher

It makes far more sense for a man from India to speak English with a British accent than it does for him to speak it with a Mexican accent.

10. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

There are myriad reasons why she might have a different accent, non really needing an explanation.

And, yeah, Eve's accent is sexy as hell.

Actually...

11. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Quite true. She could have been British in TWOK just she was rasied say in the USA.

But as someone has already the changed timeline could have any number of consequences. After all Kirk was born in Iowa in the Prime universe on a starhip in the JJverse. No reason as to why someone could be born in the US in the prime universe and the UK in the JJVerse.

Besides she has a nice voice.

12. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

YES! :vulcan:

13. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I read somewhere that there was a deleted scene where she says she was raised in London. It's probably still in the novelization, if anyone's read it.

EDIT: He we go!

Still, there are major differences in the two versions of the character – most notably the addition of Eve’s English accent. In fact, Abrams was so concerned that the change would be a sticking point (Marcus had an American accent in the original series), he actually shot an expository scene where the character explains her own backstory – a scene that was eventually cut:

Alice Eve: There was one scene that we shot that didn’t
    make it into the film. That was about me explaining why I had an English accent; my mother moved to England when my father stayed in San Francisco to run Starfleet. I think that JJ felt that plot point wasn’t necessary and that you didn’t question it beyond the first moment. I think that made sense and we had a certain license with the split timeline.

http://screenrant.com/star-trek-into-darkness-interviews-alice-eve/all/1/

14. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

I love alternate takes and liberties found in novelizations..
    i wonder if she grew up near a blue police box ;)

15. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Alice Eve as a compainion of the Doctor could work.

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

This has been the case since well before the 1980s. In film certain accents equal "scientist". British English (of a certain type) and German are two of them.

17. Infern0

Infern0 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The real reason is because Khan was english they had to have an english person on the goodies side too

18. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

False.

19. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Not necessarily false, just not specified beyond a shadow of a doubt.

20. Christopher

Kirk Prime was "from Iowa," but that doesn't necessarily mean he was born there, just that he mostly lived there. The interpretation that he was born there comes mainly from the city of Riverside's decision to declare themselves Kirk's future birthplace as a draw for tourists. Which the new movie acknowledged by making Kirk a resident of Riverside, but which is not part of the canon.