What should be the next musical adapted for the movies?

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Vanyel, Apr 13, 2013.

1. Vanyel

Vanyel The Imperious Leader Premium Member

To be fair, radio back then had actual DJ's who picked what music they played. Some stations were just radio stations meaning they played the popular music of the time and had time slots where older music was played and different genre's.

There were no predetermined robot play lists. A guy who got a studio recording could get his music played along side the big name acts of the time. Where it would, if successful spread from one station to another.

I was listening to JACK 97 FM here in town one day while rearranging my room and cleaning out my closet and drawers and filling boxes with old clothes to give to the St. Vincent de Paul Society and I noticed that the song rotation had begun again, same songs same order as before.

Radio today is a shadow of what it was in the 60's. Radio, except for specialized stations found on satellite radio or your cable music channels (Not MTV, but where music is played and a picture of the band and the name of the song appear.) play music of different genres. Those too are on a play list but it seems much longer than the ones on radio. For a week I could tune into JACK 97 at about 9:15PM and hear Pat Benatar's "Heart Breaker."

Sorry for hijacking my own thread. If someone wants to start a thread about Radio, be my guest.

2. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

"Spiderman: Turn off the Dark." ;)

3. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

This is what's been said about radio in North America for years; you're not the first. That's why (with a possible future exception) I don't listen to commercial radio that much anymore (there are a few listener-supported and college stations that I listen to occasionally on-line, but that's it.)

Ever since that sex-mad neocon dumbass in progressive clothing passed his 1996 law allowing one media company to own all stations in a given city or town, radio became a joke in the USA, with the same effects happening here in Canada as well.

I have an article that goes into this at a large length:

No Competition: How Radio Consolidation Has Diminished Diversity and Sacrificed
    Localism

This should be (I hope) enough for people to get really angry and start writing their state reps to tell them to get rid of this law and start regulating radio again.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  4. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Bill Clinton never pretended to be a progressive. His main policy/platform vehicle on his road to power was the Democratic Leadership Council, which was dedicated to fighting the supposed excess of progressivism in the party.
    There are people who profess to believe (sometimes sincerely I suppose, it being a wonderful world where the most amazing things happen) that social tolerance is, in and of itself shorn of any progressive policies, "progressive." Niceness is not a policy. Politics is about policy, not about sermons for or against cultural values.

5. Vanyel

I was thinking about a much older musical, Purlie. Think it might be a good idea to adapt that or might it be to outdated? It does have great musical number, New Fangled Preacher Man, Skinnin' A Cat and I Got Love.

6. Shaka Zulu

^Already adapted as the 1963 film Gone Are the Days!, and as a 1981 made-for-TV movie version of the musical.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2013
  7. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

Wait, there was a made for T.V. version of Purlie? Who was in it, if you can recall.

8. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

^ Robert Guillaume. I remember seeing that on Showtime a lot, back in the day.

9. Vanyel

I thought Gone Are The Days! was the movie version of the play Purlie Victorious. Purlie premiered in 1970 while Gone Are The Days! was in 1963.

I do remember the 1981 filming of the musical that Showtime did, but it could still be a full movie instead of a recorded play.

There was a 2006 revival of Purlie on Broadway, so maybe it can be made into a movie musical.

10. gblews

gblews Vice Admiral Admiral

That's correct. I've never seen Purlie (would sure like too) but I have seen "Gone Are the Days" and it is one funny ass movie.

11. Shaka Zulu

My bad, you're right on that one.

12. Vanyel

Couldn't find anything by Robert Guillamue, specifically Newfangled Preacher Man. But I did find two by Melba Moore as Lutiebelle singing Purlie and I Got Love from that Showtime adaptation.

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nvj2zYxSvlE[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fG3BUyvkxbg[/yt]

13. Kira's Mom

Kira's Mom Fleet Admiral Admiral

Into the Woods is long overdue, and I'm glad it appears that it's going to be made. Company would be great, too.

Shenandoah would be an excellent musical on the big screen. I though it was going to be revived on Broadway a few years ago, but it fell through.

I would love to see A Chorus Line remade. The 1985 film SUCKED. They cut out some of the best songs (Hello 12, Hello 13, Hello Love and The Music and the Mirror). It should be done in its original time period (1970's) and leave the score intact!

ETA- I actually enjoyed the musical version of The Full Monty better than than movie, despite the change in location (Buffalo, NY instead of northern England). I wouldn't mind if it ended up on the big screen.

14. Shaka Zulu

I still want to see Hugh Jackman as King Arthur in a remake of Camelot-hurry up Hollywood, before he gets too old!

He can also play Miguel de Cervantes/Don Quixote in a new movie version of Man of La Mancha.

15. Mr Pointy Ears

Mr Pointy Ears Captain Captain

star trek the musical

16. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'd love to see Wicked as a movie, despite knowing that it's destined to disappoint in that medium. :lol:

17. acappellasaurus

acappellasaurus Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'll toss in a vote for "Into The Woods". What about "Avenue Q"?

18. Vanyel

Into The Woods seems to be the favorite. It also seems to be the one with a shooting date of October 2013. So maybe, we'll be seeing it in Summer of 2014.

19. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Though I like Camelot, if I had to pick one movie to be made, it would be your second suggestion--Man of La Mancha with Jackman. Or maybe Alfie Boe, though he's stockier than the traditionally lean DQ.

20. Vanyel

A Chorus Line is the one needing a remake, followed by The Phantom of the Opera. Annie could probably do with a remake where Ms. Hannigan doesn't see the light. Jesus Christ, Superstar might also benefit from a remake but songs like What's The Buzz might show the musical's age too much; but maybe with a strong Judas, Jesus and Mary Magdalene it might work.