AVENGERS: Grade, Reviews, Discuss, DVD & Sequel **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Captain Craig, Apr 20, 2012.

?

How do you grade The Avengers?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2012.
  1. A+

46.4%
  2. A

31.8%
  3. A-

9.3%
  4. B+

5.3%
  5. B

3.4%
  6. B-

1.6%
  7. C+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. C

1.2%
  9. C-

0.3%
  10. D+

0.3%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0.3%
  1. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

I'll spare you the details. Here's the Cliff Notes version of my review:

Loki: I wouldn't kick him out of bed. :techman::devil::bolian:

2. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Mmmmm. quesadas, with cheddar and pepper jack cheeses and grilled chicken. Yummy!

I'm not sure Loki can fly given that, well, we never see him do it. Even Thor can't fly without the use of Mjolnir. He might be able to jump great distances or something (sort of like very-early Superman) but I don't think he can fly. It also seemed during this movie Loki was pretty much without power unless he had the scepter beyond maybe the illusions. I dunno, I wasn't very clear on what Loki could and could not do, when and why.

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

4. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Loki still had that Quinjet they escaped the Helicarrier in, so I imagine they could have just landed with the machine already intact, pushed it onto the Stark Tower platform, and took off.

Jarvis might have called Tony offscreen as soon as it happened but after Tony had already guessed where they would be going.

5. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Either that, or the very first thing they did was lock Jarvis out of Stark Tower's systems.

6. Locutus of Bored

He still had control of the systems when he removed Tony's old suit and launched the new Iron Man suit as he fell from the building.

7. Trekker4747

It also seemed odd that it took Tony so long to figure out Stark tower is where they would be going. "Well he's going to need a huge power source to open the portal but where is he going to get that kind of energy? Hey, Banner! You should come to my new tower and see the awesome self-sustaining massive power source I've built!"

8. Locutus of Bored

Was it that long, though? They were dealing with the death of Coulson, the Helicarrier being f'd up, Hawkeye's mental recovery, and the separation of two team members, so they had a lot on their plate at that moment. But it didn't seem that long between finding out Loki's true plan to bring through an alien army and determining where he would go, if I'm remembering things right.

9. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^
    You are exactly right. I'd say from the time Coulson dies to the point Tony utters "He's a full tilt diva.....wants attention....tower with his name on it....son of a bitch", it's probably less than 10min screen time and "real time" within the film very short, within an hour or so I'd wager.

10. Trekker4747

Well, they spent a good deal of time trying to figure out where the Tesseract was which is fair enough but at the same time it should have been very easy to figure out where they were going with it. Why not cut them off at the pass, get to Stark Tower first?

11. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

To be fair, it makes more sense to us than to them because we know it's a movie. Before they narrowed it to New York, Stark Tower would be, at best, a lucky guess.

12. Trekker4747

I guess... But... Stark is boasting about this nearly limitless power source that will make his building self-sufficient for at least a year and then they determine Loki is trying to open a portal to the Chitauri and he'd need a massive amount of energy to do it with. It seems like it shouldn't be too hard to draw the line between "guy needs a massive amount of energy" and "building with a nearly limitless source of energy."

Heck, just knowing the level of energy he'd need should narrow down the places to look greatly. How many places in the world could there be that generate extremely high levels of energy?

13. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I'm sure Loki knew all of this and it was why he allowed himself to get caught and he even planned on using the Hulk as a futher destraction.

14. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Exactly. Loki allowed himself to be captured in order to distract the heroes and keep them off balance while Hawkeye and Selvig continued their tasks. They would have figured out things faster if it weren't for Loki's manipulations.

15. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I think Alidor's point is that the direct line from Stark Tower to Loki's use of said tower is clear to us because we see it as a linear narrative progression: Chekhov's rule about the gun in Act 1 being used by Act 3. In real life, there are always other possibilities and nothing is linear. Guessing he was going for the very recent power source rather than, say, the Hadron Super-Collider would be lucky in our world, which doesn't follow narrative rules.

16. superdeluxe

superdeluxe Captain Captain

Chances we see a Cameo from GOTG to start off that film franchise?

17. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^
    You mean in an Avengers sequel?
    Possibly one of them as a tease. I doubt you'd see the whole team in a cameo teaser.

18. Trekker4747

I still say when you determine your foe needs a very large source of energy to accomplish his plan your first place to look for him to be going are the few places in the world where generating that amount of energy is possible. One of those places being Stark Tower.

19. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^^
    Stark's reactor can satisfy the energy needs of one building for a year. I'm sure there are one or two nuclear power plants in the area that would satisfy the power needs for all of New York City.

20. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

to say nothing of several other nuclear reactors across the world.