Star Trek: TNG film era reboot?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by CommanderRyan, May 23, 2013.

1. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Having a direct remake of Next Gen doesn't make sense considering the alternate timeline has technology equal to or even better than the TNG era.

Here's a thought: maybe Next Generation literally means the NEXT Generation. And make it a TV series instead of a film series. Like 30 years later, instead of 78. Maybe the 1701 isn't blown up near Genesis, but just decommissioned and the new 1701-A, the Abrams universe equivalent to an Excelsior Class, with a completely new crew that doesn't try to have a Kirk-like character, Spock like character, or Picard, Riker, Data,etc for that matter. I want to see completely new characters, and new races.

2. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

Stick with TOS.

3. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

I think we can't truly rule out a TNG reboot sometime in the future because reruns of the show are still running today in quite a few television markets (I can catch the show several times a week myself). We do have a literal next generation of Trek fans who grew up with TNG rather than TOS. And given how successful the show was during its run, I do think there will come a time in which there may be an audience who is more familiar with Picard and Data than Kirk and Spock. It may not come for awhile, but I do think it'll happen, IMO.

4. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

That didn't stop every alternate universe story.

Also, based on Enterprise, Data ought to still exist regardless.

@Gaith

I think if they did have TNG characters show up in the Abrams-verse it'd more or less be the Picard-Data-Worf show.

Which, given the way they established Klingons in Into Darkness as the merciless killers referred to in DS9 Klingon lore, might actually be pretty awesome.

I don't think Picard's personality necessarily keeps him from being interesting to new audiences. His cerebral 'think it out' tendencies can be played against the more impulsive tendencies, only in the context of somebody Kirk does not have authority over and has to work together with as equals. Also Picard used to be more like Kirk, so he would be naturally annoyed at somebody who has all the personality characteristics he sees in his former self he's not proud of.

A young Picard/Data/Worf coming back in time might make a damn good movie.

Last edited: May 24, 2013
  5. I am not Spock

I am not Spock Commodore Commodore

Since I like to think of these films as a total reboot, set in another universe, there's no reason Picard can't show up in the next movie, and clash with Kirk. He can clash with Kirk's more cowboy diplomacy style

6. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Did we learn nothing from the last time we had Kirk and Picard in the same movie? :rofl:

7. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    TNG-era ? Why not ? But not before we get a new Reboot TOS series and a few other movies. Let's wait in 2022-23. ;)

8. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well said. I'd love to see something original instead of the same thing with a different face like the JJverse seems to be doing.

9. Elder Knight

Elder Knight Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If we're talking about establishing -- once again -- a future time line with two separate focal points, I don't like the idea very much.

That situation was forced by the decision to create TNG while the original series crew remained viable in the movies. It did lead to some interesting complications, but it must have constrained the script development.

I don't suspect they'll be able to keep this new cast together for 20+ years, so they'll have to move on with new characters and story lines if the franchise continues. No need to jump ahead a century to do so.

10. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

TNG shouldn't be rebooted. It's characters were too old for the "Action Movie" Camp.

11. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I thought they were all fairly young outside Picard and Mama Crusher?

12. marsomthing

marsomthing Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

What was bad about TNG films? they made enough of them that they had to be in demand from somebody. I am not a TNG nut but I enjoy the show and the movies occasionally, never remember thinking to myself .... Wow this is awful

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

So were the original TOS cast in movies 1-6. :p

14. CaptainMurdock

CaptainMurdock Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes but we got to see them when they were at the action hero age. Plus I give them a pass because I love TOS more than TNG. :bolian:

15. publiusr

publiusr Admiral Admiral

Well you already have ST II redone with STiD after all, but in what would be the TOS era in the Prime timeline--so you are already getting that.

I might like to see another ship--a send up to McQuarrie fall back in time a la Planet of the Titans, the billion year voyage--other unused stories given new life.

16. CoveTom

CoveTom Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm not saying that the TNG movies did not draw an audience. Well, all except Nemesis anyway, which lost money and did not justify a sequel in Paramount's eyes. But I'm speaking of the more subjective and difficult to quantify matter of quality. I did not think the TNG movies were all that good.

That's not to say that I thought they were crap. I don't decry every moment of Insurrection as some do around here, for example. But I thought there were too many things done to make TNG attempt to appeal to that ever-elusive "mass market" moviegoing public that took it away from what made the TV series good. Action hero Picard. All the stores having to be action/adventure. A Data B-story in every movie. The loss of the ensemble feel from the show. Etc.

But, then again, I've always thought that Star Trek works best as a TV series, not a movie series. Even the best of the Trek movies, IMHO, does not compare to Trek's best work on television. Unfortunately, I think that's an inherent limitation of today's moviemaking environment. When you're releasing a movie once every 2-3 years, and spending a bagillion dollars on it, you can't take risks. On a TV series, with 26 episodes per year and a much lower audience threshold for success, you can.