Ever like a show but...

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by BruntFCA, Mar 21, 2013.

1. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

but kirk was the main character in tos. ds9 didn't really have that. it was all ensemblified. kira was equally important to the show as sisko. and thats why i thought it should count in her case.

2. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

And HIMYM is emsemblified as well. I rest m'case, m'lud.

3. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I completely agree about Frasier. I find Grammer's over-the-top acting extremely annoying. All the other actors manage to make up for it though.

More recently, I rather liked Revolution, but the main character drove me away after a half dozen episodes or so. I spent too much time wanting to smack her.

4. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

I've also got to jump on the BtVS train; despite counting the series among my favorite television shows EVER, I've always been more of a fan of Willow, Dawn, Spike, Faith, and Giles than of Buffy herself. She's never annoyed me the way she apparently did others, but she's not - and never has been - one of my favorite characters from the series.

5. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

Oh yeah, Jack from Lost. Couldn't stand him. But my favorite character was Sawyer, so I guess that's no surprise. :p

6. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Another one for Archer. Never 'hated' the character; just didn't warm to him, or indeed ENT S1, first time watched and not liking the captain seemed a bit of a disadvantage. Of course feel very different now :)

7. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

I almost quit every time it was a Jack heavy episode, what a terrible pukey character. I also couldn't stand Kate. Locke was my hands down favorite. sawyer I particularly liked in the first couple seasons, hilarious.

8. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

That one Jack-centric episode in Season Three where he gets his tattoo is arguably the worst episode in the series. I almost bailed because of it, despite my love for most other aspects of the show.

9. Orac Zen

Orac Zen Mischief Manager Super Moderator

Amen. I had to stop watching new Who toward the end of his tenure because he was so insufferable.

I'm probably the only person on the planet who likes TOS in spite of Kirk. Yeah, weird and blasphemous and whatever, but true nonetheless.

Oh, and I despised Sawyer. But since he wasn't a main character, he doesn't count. :p

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

It was awful. And absolutely pointless.

My favorite Lost scene is from season 1 when they are still on the beach. They are doing something important as far as supplies go and approach Sawyer to help. He's sitting under a shelter reading a battered paperback of "Are you there God? It's me, Margaret". I still end up laughing out loud whenever I think of this :lol: None of the people I was watching it with had any idea what the book was so it was lost on them.

11. Andrew_Kearley

Andrew_Kearley Captain Captain

Absolutely agree on David Tennant as Doctor Who. His "mockney wanker" character makes me want to reach into the screen and slap him. He's a good actor and I've liked him in almost everything else I've seen him in.

12. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah he just made Archer so...bland is the best word I can use to describe it. The kind of man Archer was supposed to be should have been a man who reached out and grabbed history by the throat, the kind of man people would follow into hell, the kind of man who could make differing alien races want to work together, and I got none of that from him. I'm not suggesting he needed to be a scene stealer like Kirk, or as imposing as Sisko, or as downright stubborn as Janeway, Stewart owned the bridge every time he was on it despite being dwarfed by Riker and Worf, he was quiet but exuded an aura of command.

Now it may be that Archer is a more realistic portrayal of a pivotal historical character, and the fact that he was clearly out of his depth was kinda the point, I know that, I just think in the hands of another actor the character would have worked better, not even a better actor, just an actor with more presence.

I'm glad people have mentioned Jack on Lost as well, I never liked that guy very much (much preferred Sawyer) though having said that one of the two moments that made me tear up in the finale was Jack and his Dad (the other being Sawyer and Juliette) but then given my own dad had died just a few months before I kinda put it down to that!

Tennant I still like as the Doctor. I think he was overrated, and the ease with which Matt Smith wears the role clearly shows that he was trying too hard most of the time, but he's still a good Doctor to me.

13. stj

stj Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Sawyer love is remarkable. When Sawyer performed surgery on himself using only his fingers, I lost my ability to suspend disbelief and pretend that those were real people I was magically eavesdropping on. Might I suggest that when the script is loaded to portray a character as bad ass but beloved (at least by the pretty people,) it's because it's the main character? This is particularly true when the characters have to be more or less abnormal to tolerate the person the script favors.

14. ManOnTheWave

ManOnTheWave Vice Admiral Admiral

I find Grimm to be a watchable, mildly entertaining show, but the titular character is really a nonentity for me. And really the only character I like is the goofy werewolf.

15. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

I felt that way at the start of Grimm, but I think all the characters on that show have drastically improved as it's gone along. And adding Rosalee was a fantastic move.

16. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I LOVED Sinclair. Thought Michael O'Hare bought a real gravitas to the show. Boxleitner's opening narration was amateurish compared to O'Hare's moody first season intro. Also preferred Sinclair's Battle of the Line backstory and eventual fate as Valen. A really distinct, memorable character arc.

One of my favourite lead characters in a TV show. Sheridan was good too but a bit too chipper for me. O'Hare is exactly the type I'd expect to be commanding a space station. Sorely missed and underrated actor.

17. Ayelbourne

Ayelbourne Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Lost. I liked the show but hated Jack and most of the other main characters. Tertiary characters like Daniel Faraday were much more interesting.

18. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I Love Voyager but I don't watch too many episodes with 7 of 9. Sorry, but I have know way too many cold, bitchy emotionless women in my life I don't want to watch them on TV.

19. BruntFCA

BruntFCA Commander Red Shirt

I'm right there with you I never liked Kirk, Shatner is a terrible actor IMO.

20. Sakrysta

Sakrysta Vice Admiral Admiral

I forgot to agree with Kirk. Brennan is getting there. (Actually she got there a couple seasons ago and I'm in denial. ;))