Orphan Black kept my Attention.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Guy Gardener, Mar 31, 2013.

1. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I think Cosima feels like she's being held back because she's unwilling to let herself get caught up in the drama of what's going on. Right now she's more interested in putting the moves on her moniter.

For what it's worth, I feel your comparisons of this show to Who are a tad unfair. One show is aimed at a wide audience and one is pretty adult. As for the finale feeling incomplete, well this is the first time I think that the finale was just set up for a special. So yes it may feel incomplete, but that's because it was being used to set up story elements that will be fully explored in the fiftieth anniversary special.

2. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well considering the pace of the story, she's being left behind. When we first met this clone, I thought she was interesting, kind of the nerdy one of the bunch. The only problem is we've gotten so much story with the other clones that the Cosima side feels like a standstill ever since she went to Minnesota. I do think it's interesting that she might go with Dr. Leake (And maybe even turn against the clones, as this episode might have suggested) but again, the pace of the story makes her part probably the weakest so far.

Maybe it is, but the shows are on back to back. I don't mind that they were setting up for the 50th anniversary show, but it seemed like there were scenes in the finale that needed more exposition, or at least more development. As I said in the review thread, I do feel like this episode could have easily been a two parter and been so much better because of it. It's one thing to set up the anniversary show, but they also have to end the season that started last fall. Also, considering I'm not that excited for this special (For reasons being as far as I know the show has only been on for 8, but I do respect the long time fans of it :) ) all I cared about at the moment was them ending the season. It feels like more could have been done. I think the problem I had with this half of the season was the lack of development, both in stories and in characters. It showed greatly in the finale.

3. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

The Nerdist is ok. Just make sure to turn it off when the standup comedian comes on at the end. I've seen 3 episodes of that show and I swear each time they've managed to find a worse comedian than the last. These guys are so bad that the automated laugh tracks aren't laughing. It's painful to watch them crash and burn in front of that live audience.

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Do you know what's possible?

They find a funny comedian at a club, admit that they're hilarious.

Offer them them 6 minutes on TV.

Then blind side the comedian that they're not allowed to say anything dirty.

But yes.

Awful.

Was there a blonde girl mumbling about how god didn't exist?

Might have been somewhere else, but she made me smile.

5. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Gotcha, I think the reason is, like you said, she's in Minnesota. All the action is happening where Allison and Sarah are, it's kind of hard to make a character interesting when the few times she interacts with the main character is through skype.

I would find it interesting if she joins up with the baddie organization and decides to try and hunt the other clones. That would make her character more interesting, I think.

Also, speaking of the other clones, perhaps with Season 2 this will open up and we'll find out it's a global project and there are a hundred clones running around. I'd love to see more, cause I'd love to see Tatiana expand and play even more roles.

6. jayceee

jayceee Commander Red Shirt

Tonight's episode was revealing. Unexpected twists and dilemmas.

7. tomalak301

Can it be next Saturday yet? Man that was a great episode, and yeah there are some shocking twists. Can't wait till next week.

8. Guy Gardener

No.

Saturday must never come.

Because then that will be the end.

I'm still annoyed that the final episode of season 3 Babylon 5 happened.

I mean it was fantastic, but I wish I hadn't seen it, so that I could see it again for the first time fresh.

Sensible hypnotists ask you to sign a rape waver before they put you under.

9. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

I. LOVE. ALLISON!!!

That's how you deal with an intervention: Take the bastards and bitches DOWN!

And I love how Felix has become her gay best friend when she obviously needed one.

10. Guy Gardener

Does she know Felix is Bi?

He's attracted to Cosima, or at least that's how he painted her breasts.

Lustfully.

11. Admiral2

Admiral2 Admiral Admiral

Felix is multitasking.

For Sarah he's little brother.

For Allison he's Gay Best Friend.

For Cosima he's bisexual stalker.

12. Kosh Naranek

Kosh Naranek Captain Captain

Allison going into a cleaning Frenzy at Felix's made me laugh so hard. I love those two together.

The guy playing Leake is so smarmy. I want to reach through the TV and slap him.

Is the show suggesting that Kira's body was somehow capable of healing?

Helena was speared by rebar how long ago?

13. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

I finally got around to watching the newest episode, and I absolutely loved it. One of the things that I've really been digging in this show is the score, I really hope they release some kind of compilation to purchase.

I also really loved the revelation that Helena is Sarah's sister, though I came to that conclusion about ten minutes before Sarah did. Even though she is a horrible person and has been capable of some truly evil deeds this season, she's easily one of my favorite character's on the show. So her belief that she is not a clone but is the original, isn't too far off.

I was hoping "Beth" would fill Art in on what's going on and get her on his side, the same way she did with Mrs. S, oh well. I'm sure he'll find out what's going on soon enough, and if not there is always season 2.

Speaking of season 2, one of my hopes for it is to see more clones, so far we've had Tatiania do an English accent, a Russian accent, and whatever accent Helena's supposed to have, I'd love to see an Italian clone, or heck, even a Jamaican clone would be interesting.

14. Morpheus 02

Morpheus 02 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I was wondering...are all the clones the same, as far as physically? Do they have the same color hair, eyes, etc.?

Obviously, all raised differently, but interested in the idea of nurture vs. nature

15. Guy Gardener

Genetically identical except for the barcode sewn into their dna, which we believe is a null component.

Kosh?

If you don't know who Matt Frewer is, you need to re-evaluate the television you have been watching for the last 30 years.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0001242/?ref_=tt_cl_t12

Once upon a time Matt was Max Fucking Headroom!

16. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So it's only Sarah and Heena who are fully genetically identical.

I am loving Felix! I like Mrs. S' willingness to "burn it all down" if need be, and that she and Sarah are untied in their caring for Kira.

17. Guy Gardener

The twinning probably means that one of them has different fingerprints.

18. tomalak301

Orphan Black Season Finale Tonight. I can't Freaking Wait.

I don't know the last time I was this excited for a first season finale of a show. :D :D :D

I've been saying Maslany deserves an emmy nomination for this show, but I would absolutely love it if she got TWO Emmy nominations in both Best Actress and Supporting Actress. That would be so cool.

19. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Guessing that the woman we only see the silhouette of that Leeky was talking to on the phone is another clone. At least to me it looked like Sarah's physique.

I think that DNA sequence is also more than a marker. It's probably the actual experiment. Cloning is the control, splicing in different patches of DNA in the same spot is what they are watching for different results.

20. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I had actually thought her reflection in the window didn't look much like Maslany, though I suppose they could have distorted the reflection a bit so it wouldn't be too obvious. But would it be too much of a stretch if the mystery woman was also one of the clones? Regardless, I'm really looking forward to the finale!