David Foster reveals his plans for a new Star Trek series?

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by Steven321, Jan 15, 2013.

1. Dagoth

Dagoth Ensign Newbie

We need new series badly. The world needs them!
    True ST style series, not Abrams' crap.

2. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

While an animated series is still the most likely, I keep hoping for Netflix to do an original series in conjunction with CBS. Netflix is making a bigger push into original content lately (and their stock price is zooming, so they aren't hard up for funds.)

Star Trek is a good overlap with their early-adopter tech enthusiast streaming customer base (most likely a better fit than HBO or Showtime) and the famous brand name will give them positive PR for their overall original content development efforts.

For House of Cards (debuting soon):

Couldn't they do a Star Trek series for $100M, for two cable-length seasons (26 episodes total)?

3. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

No, we don't. The world doesn't care. And Abrams is doing a better job than the last guys did for ten years. Sorry.

4. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He is doing a great job, I agree. The films are super fun. But I'd argue that compared to a TV series, there is nothing intellectually nourishing about them. Perhaps the same could be said for the previous 10 films as well. I just find there's not much I can relate to as a viewer, these elaborate revenge fantasies.

5. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Put it this way: You may not be able to relate to the subject matter of the films, but if those films pave the way for CBS to create a new TV series that you could relate to, then the films will have done a great service no matter how you feel about their content. You'll be as happy as if someone just gave you free Jello Pudding Pops and New Coke for the rest of your life :lol:

6. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

i'd take elaborate revenge fantasies over a group of bland people standing in grey rooms technobabbling to each other.

and since when has trek been 'intellectually nourishing'? were ent's showerscenes 'nourishing' enough? or voyager's skintight-catsuited ladyborg? ds9's holo-loungesinging? tng's rapegasm?

7. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Elaborate revenge fantasy or current day terrorism alegory? TOS had Klingons standing in for the Soviets. Into Darkness has a homegrown terrorist attacking the Federation. I'm sure the terrorists of recent times and their leaders thought they were getting righteous revenge for something or other.

8. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

JJ's Trek is a return to the more light-weight, frothier side of TOS (And especially the TOS films!) as opposed to stuff like The Cage which informed the mantra of TNG+ Trek. As such I find it kinda alienating and simplistic but it's still informed by previous Trek. Just not my favourite kind.

Star Trek 2009 isn't really far removed from Search for Spock at all. Although its villain is much shitter. Nero is the pits and Bana's performance was Razzie-worthy. I expect Harrison to be several classes above.

9. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TNG (the series with which I am most fond of and familiar) presented dozens of excellent and intricate moral challenges throughout it's run. Did Data fire on Kivas Fajo or not in The Most Toys? What about the attack on religion as portrayed in Who Watches the Watchers? When Dr. Marr destroys the crystilline entity in Silicon Avatar, is Picard right to try and stop her? Then there are the what-constitutes-sentience as explored in both The Measure of a Man and The Offspring. Nearly every episode comes loaded with some form of philosophical material for reflection.

10. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

fine, but by that reasoning, old trek had lots of bad 'romance' episodes. therefore new trek should be a romcom. because if it doesn't, it doesn't fit the spirit of trek.

11. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

HOly cow, do we reach! Amen to both paragraphs. I'm hoping that Trex XII has more to it. And Bana had like 12 lines and people were raving. i still don't get it. Old Salieri was better in Insurrection!

12. Admiral Buzzkill

There's not a question about Data firing at Fajo - we saw him do it, and then lie about it.

Most of these examples aren't at all intricate or challenging - they were pretty simplistic put-up jobs. No one watching the show really sympathizes with the argument that Data or his daughter aren't sentient beings who should have rights, for example - or, at least, so few viewers do that it's of no importance (I mean, I'm sure there are a few folks watching things like Psycho who identify with Norman Bates, too).

13. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

I mostly agree. Broadcast TV can't really get too into metaphysical debate. It's more that the issues are presented in a way that their broad outline is conveyed, so the viewer is able to take them and chew them over for themselves if so inclined. But none of the movies really even did much of that, so ST09 as a movie doesn't particularly break with tradition.

I can imagine certain kinds of hardcore dualists having an issue with Data's personhood, though. ;)

14. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

My only issue with Data's personhood was that it opened the door for some atrocious Voyager episodes.

15. plynch

Yeah, but at least they're broaching the idea of what constitutes personhood. An idea/issue to mull. Certainly many eps provide grist for the bbs mill to mull. See any of several Tuvix threads.

This is why I like (cover your ears, many of you) Insurrection, of the movies.

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

:eek:

:lol:

17. plynch

I know, I know. And TMP. But TWOK too.

Long after JJTrek, thanks in part to post-ers here, I saw there was the theme of forging your own life, both in Spock and Kirk. But scifi often has a what-if issue/idea to ponder. Didn't really get that on '09. (What was the original topic, again? :) )

18. RAMA

RAMA Admiral Admiral

Streaming shows and webisodes are the future, ratings for "proper" network and basic cable channels are lower than ever, falling every year. We may see a time shortly where such niche shows are the desired paradigm, tailored to a particular group of viewer's taste, and less concerned with ratings.

RAMA

19. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

But we did get "body like a boy" Uhura stripping down to her granny underwear.

Seriously, there wasn't a Victoria's Secret anywhere near the studio?

:)

20. Admiral Buzzkill

Sorry, but if Saldana looks anything like a boy to someone then they either need a new prescription or a reassessment of their biases.