Anybody reading Star Trek: Crew (SPOILERS)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Jiraiya, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Jiraiya

Jiraiya Lieutenant Red Shirt

Written and drawn by John Byrne, the mini-series features an interesting take on a pre-TOS Federation as seen through the eyes of Pike's future exec Number One (and still has no name :)). The comic is in fact dedicated to Majel Barret-Roddenberry memory which was thoughtful.

Byrne really went all-out in giving the book a pre-TOS feel, from the uniforms as seen in the TOS pilot to mentions of time-warp as opposed to just warp speed.

One big flaw in the first issue features a Constitution class prototype (circa the 2240's as the ship is brand new, complete with NX designations, which is revealed later to be christened as the Enterprise at a later date) being rescued... by the Constitution, which makes little sense to me.

The second issue features an alien marauder that looks very much like a Ferengi vessel that of course never gets identified ;).

All-in-all, it has a cool retro feel to it and features for the first time some back story on Number One.

J

2. HIj'Qa

HIj'Qa Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I like the exploration of the Pike-era, actually the April-era. Nice touches all around for the pre-TOS feel. I'd like to see a clunky Dedaelus-class ship!

3. Mike Farley

Mike Farley Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've been digging it. Byrne has managed to capture the feel of what watching an April-era series might have felt like.

4. James Swallow

James Swallow Writer Captain

I'm enjoying this - like Mike said, the pre-TOS texture of it is good.
    I especially liked the Dan Dare spacesuits in issue #2....

5. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

I've never been a huge Byrne fan but his Trek work for IDW has been great.