Star Trek: Nero #1 [Spoilers]

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by SalvorHardin, Aug 14, 2009.

1. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't say we learn anything significant in this issue or anything we hadn't already guessed. The art is good and much as we know it from Countdown.

The comic starts seconds after the destruction of the Kelvin. We find a Narada severely damaged. Shields down, weapons offline, engines failing...
    But Nero is not worried. The ship will slowly heal itself. All he wants is to find Spock and use the Red Matter to destroy his enemies.
    He does have a moment of weakness, where he toys with the thought of going straight to Romulus but the moment ends quickly.

As the Narada is slowly stabilizing all the Romulans are gathered to hear what Nero has to say. Some of them express their desire to go home, now that by a miracle they have been given a second chance.
    Nero tells them that he will not go back until the Federation is destroyed but gives all those who want to leave a shuttle and permission to go.
    But he is not as understanding as they thought. He uses the few torpedoes that are currently available and blows the departing shuttle to pieces.

As the Romulans now begin calculating where Spock's exit point will be, Klingon ships decloak and attack. The Narada, still heavily damaged, can not fight back.
    After a brief exchange of words between Nero and Captain Kor of the Klingon Battlecruiser Klothos, the Klingons board the Narada.
    A violent, bloody battle ensues but quickly the Romulans are neutralized and captured.
    They and their ship are taken to Rura Penthe, where we see Nero in chains ready to be interrogated by Koth.
    Koth tells him that he knows many things about them since not all his crewmates are as durable as him. He also expresses how curious he is about their ship, which contains technology they have never dreamed of. And it's all theirs now.

That's pretty much it for this issue.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Sharr Khan

Sharr Khan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm wondering what use the Klingons have for Robau's body, or if its going to be a plot point?

Sharr

3. miraclefan

miraclefan Commodore Commodore

Is it me? or is that klingon the Klingon wardon from STVI?

4. LutherSloan

LutherSloan Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, it's not a coincidence.

5. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They will use it whenever they feel the need to overcompensate.

6. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

This looks good. Blast my decision not to buy single issues anymore and wait for the trades!

7. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

Had a look at it in Forbidden Planet yesterday. Looks good, but how come Kor has ridges?!! Shouldn't he be smooth-headed at this time? :wtf:

8. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

The cure mightn't have worked and had worn off by the time of TOS?

9. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

And where did the Klingons get cloaking devices at this time? I thought they only got them with the Romulan alliance in the 2260s?

10. SalvorHardin

I can feel it baby...Robau is coming back !
    IT'S ALIVE !!

11. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Because this is yet another non-canon comic book with lots of inaccuracies, just like Countdown was.

12. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pretend EVERYTHING has been rebooted. It's the only way the new film/universe makes ANY sense.

13. Captain Randy Hall

Captain Randy Hall Commodore Commodore

Between Robau, George Kirk and Christopher Pike, I'd like to think you'd have a good TV series or movie...

14. SalvorHardin

I can't say I disagree. Assuming you could get the same actors to play the parts.
    Or do the voice work in an animated show.

15. EJA

EJA Fleet Captain

While I'm perfectly willing to believe that Nero didn't so much create the new universe as become a part of it, meaning it always existed independantly from the primary one, I still like to believe the general history was predominantly the same prior to Nero's arrival. So we're still left with the questions of how these (admittedly rather minor) differences came about?

16. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought the comic was pretty good myself. The best part was how well the art captured the look and feel of the movie itself. It really DID feel like I was watching an extended version of the movie.

And it was cool to see Nero wrestle a bit with the idea of returning to Romulus too.

I gotta admit though, the whole Klingon subplot still feels too much like a contrivance to me-- as simply as a way to get Nero out of the picture for 25 years. It just comes way too soon after the battle with the Kelvin (although I get the impression it was even sooner in the original cut of the movie).

17. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Klingons recognise how badass Robau is and heal him up so he can become KAHLESS II... the one they cloned in TNG was really a pale copy.

18. The Borgified Corpse

The Borgified Corpse Admiral Admiral

Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down ther
    While that's a possibility for some of the Klingons, Kor should still be smooth headed, unless it's a different Kor from the one we know from "Errand of Mercy."

IIRC, the deleted scenes of the movie remained nicely agnostic on the issue by never showing bareheaded Klingons. They always wear helmets that cover their foreheads.

19. Nick Ryder

Nick Ryder Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Or maybe they get smooth again when they inject Robau blood into their system causing a race wide bald and smooth strain to go out to the whole Klingon Empire

20. shapeshifter

shapeshifter Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It doesn't explain but I think the answer is clear; Klingons in the Nuverse always did and always will(?) have ridges. :klingon: Have a bag of Ruffles to celebrate. :cool:

Of course this is just a Comic book and not canon but let's not fool ourselves, we're being conditioned here. We were warned; Forget everything you know.