Castle Season 5 (including Spoilers)

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by FPAlpha, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Scout101

Scout101 Admiral Admiral

nah, I just see them having fun with it for 2-3 episodes before dropping it. They dragged out the will they/won't they for a while, and now just want to have fun with the awkward stage...

2. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Let's hope.

3. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

Same. It's fun for a bit there, but after that... it's onto serious biznes ;). They're together, and lets move onto kicking some serious ass as a team. They're stronger together, then they are apart.

Last edited: Sep 28, 2012
  4. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

tvguide.com

5. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

No one knows exactly when the lid will be blown but the producer is in record stating it will happen sometime soon that one of their coworkers/family will figure it out.
    I know i spoilercoded the very thread title but still..

It apparently involves a scene where someone calls her at home and Castle picks up (by accident?).. try to explain that! :lol:

Guessing by the sneak peaks for the next episode people are already starting to get suspicious and it'll only build.. you can't hide something like that from close co-workers or your family forever, especially when everybody knows they have it bad for each other for years but something kept them apart.

Personally i believe it'll happen somewhere between ep. 5-10. Longer than that is just dragging it out needlessly unless they can REALLY sell it well.

Btw.. Sneak Peaks for 5x02 (first one is to die for! )

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tHlrSknpllw[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mx7ZTziiD1w&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUKUtGjHYCw&feature=related[/yt]

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLJ80rD2cic&feature=related[/yt]

6. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm guessing Espo could be the one to figure out. He stumbled upon them talking about their night together when he rescued them. I wouldn't be surprised if it was Alexis on the family side. It's going to be a fun episode I think when it does happen.

7. FPAlpha

https://twitter.com/Stana_Katic/status/250777705719676928/photo/1

:lol::lol:

At this point it could be anyone.. they all know them very well, they all knew/know they are basically in love and hot for each other but for some reason won't act on it (if only they knew :devil:) so they will all be picking up the little signals.

I guess Lanie and Martha have the best shot as they are around them the most but the others are detectives and his daughter respectively.. whoever gets the pot (and i really believe there is a pot still going) it will be a blast of an episode, i'm sure.

8. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I am THRILLED we actually KNOW who did it. THRILLED THRILLED THRILLED. In 42 moments took what was this never ending weight of a conspiracy and POOF... made it go away. I am glad we are where we are with the case. It's tangible. It has an END (to be determined at a later date.)

I was getting really tired of this conspiracy.

AND, I'm very curious how they will handle Castle and Beckett's relationship.

All in all, it felt good.

9. Random_Spock

Random_Spock Vice Admiral Admiral

That's how I feel as well. It's nice to see that the end is in sight when it comes down to the conspiracy itself. No more wondering how much longer will/would they draw it out.

Me too. It looks like it will be an interesting season.

10. FPAlpha

Very good episode
    I was expecting a funny episode and it didn't disappoint at all. The writers did a very good job connecting the case to the personal stories of Castle and Beckett and i commend them for it.

Back in season 4 i was, at some point, fed up with the whole subtext but in this one it worked again without feeling forced or just put in "for the fans" to tide them over to the big finale. It touched on a very real subject for them and they saw a variant of it that could come true for them in the future (loved the scene where the reporter described the initial stage of the relationship and both Castle and Beckett get instantly dreamy and think of what they are having now [​IMG])

The humor was spot on and it felt like a good 'ole Castle episode from way back in season 1 or 2.. i was constantly smiling, grinning and often enough laughing and this is what i expect from Castle. If this keeps up during the whole season in general i believe we're in for a real treat.

What i like to mention especially is the evidence on how far they've actually come when compared to former seasons and how much we get to see. The small scene of Castle letting out the small kid in front of the green screen and Beckett observing him and smiling just shows why she loves this man.. it's not only his intelligence (Demming and Josh had this in spades too) but his inner child he so joyously lets out from time to time that she finds so attractive.

Additionally they finally TALK! I can't stress this enough.. much of their problems earlier resulted in both of them not laying it out and finding a solution. Granted.. she had issues and both of them were unwilling/unable to make the first step unless they were fighting but to a healthy relationship talking is essential.

Which brings me to Espo and Ryan.. i didn't expect them to make up so soon but i'm still happy. Espo realized it's still Ryan.. the guy he liked so much and who had his back all these years so he got over himself. I guess they will do some talking on their own over a beer and get it out.
    Sidenote: Damn.. Ryan cracks me up everytime. He is just so awesome and they both need their own show once Castle is ending. You hear me Marlowe??

All in all a very good Castle episode.. keep going!

11. TimmyWl

TimmyWl Commodore Commodore

I thought it was good. I liked the humor and at several points I couldn't stop laughing - especially the line at the end.

12. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I dunno, I'm getting tired of shows where the case of the week just happens to resonate perfectly with whatever's going on in the main characters' lives at that moment. As soon as they begin a secret workplace romance, they get a case involving a secret workplace romance? It's too contrived. Not to mention that they did a pretty crummy job hiding their reactions. Anyone watching them during their interrogations of a couple of witnesses would've caught on right away that they were sleeping together.

Also, what's with the sudden retcon of their reasons for keeping it secret? Last week, it was Castle wanting to keep the secret for rather nebulous personal reasons and Beckett who needed to be convinced. This week, it's Beckett who's worried they'll have to stop working together if their relationship becomes known. Now, the latter explanation works much better as a justification for the secrecy, but why couldn't they go back and rewrite the last episode to incorporate it? After all, usually the first several episodes of a season, or even the whole first half or so, get their stories broken (outlined/worked out) together before shooting begins, so they should've had this idea in time to go back and incorporate it into the previous script. So it's an odd inconsistency.

My favorite bit was where the suspect lawyered up first thing and refused to talk, so Beckett and Castle put on a show of going over the incriminating evidence in order to provoke him to talk. Admittedly it's shaky from a procedural standpoint, but it was a clever variation on the usual interrogation-scene formula.

Although they're still doing their usual formulaic thing that bugs me, where they interrogate a suspect they think is guilty for several minutes, and then finally they ask for the suspect's alibi and it turns out to be ironclad. Why don't they just start with the alibi question and save themselves a lot of trouble? I know that would make the episodes a lot shorter, but it makes the cops look silly when they expend so much effort pursuing someone that they could've cleared already if they'd checked something as basic as their alibi earlier on.

13. Savage Dragon

Savage Dragon Not really all that savage Moderator

Nice review FPALpha. It's exactly how I feel. I really did find myself grinning a lot this episode.

I'm really looking forward when everyone starts figuring out they're together. I hope they make Castle and Beckett squirm a little!

14. { Emilia }

{ Emilia } Cute but deadly Moderator

You're talking about a show whose premise is that some writer is following around actual cops for 4 years now. When I've suspended my disbelief enough to buy that I have no problem buying the cases mirroring their private lives.

I was talking to Kestrel about this while we were watching Castle last night and we agreed that the cases are just a backdrop. And that we watch the show for the character interaction, not for the procedural aspect.
    So if the cases are tailored to fit what's happening between the characters I won't complain.

That's because it was supposed to add some entertainment value for the audience obviously. It would be pretty dull if they were so good at hiding their feelings that the audience forgets about the whole thing while watching.

TV =/= Real Life

I think the whole "we need to keep the relationship secret!" is a bit silly and overused since I don't think it's really necessary. BUT... in this case it's amusing and I'm happy to go along with it as long as it's this much fun.

You could've stopped here.

TV/Writer Logic =/= Real Life

15. Christopher

It's just that this is something most shows these days tend to do, sometimes quite blatantly (there was even an episode of Fringe last season where Olivia actually mentioned that they kept getting cases that coincidentally resonated with what was going on with them personally and wondered if there was some deeper pattern behind it), so I'm growing weary of it in general.

And that's too easy a copout. I'm a writer myself; I understand suspension of disbelief. But it can too easily be an excuse for laziness or sloppiness, and it shouldn't be. The goal is to try to minimize the amount of belief the audience is required to suspend. It's called willing suspension of disbelief, after all, not mandatory suspension. To sell your story to an audience, you have to make it something they're willing to suspend their disbelief about. And the more they have to work to swallow the premise of a story, the more they become aware of having to do that work, and the more reluctant they are to play along. The writer should do most of the work for them, take care to craft a fiction that feels real enough that suspension of disbelief is easy.

As the saying goes, "The key is sincerity; if you can fake that, you've got it made." But if you can't fake it effectively, then you're in trouble. So don't go telling me that fiction is an excuse to throw logic and credibility out the window, or to fall back on lazy cliches for year after year. They could do better. Just because it's fiction doesn't mean quality is irrelevant.

16. { Emilia }

I don't watch a lot of TV at all so it's possible that I'm just not as tired of the concept as you are.
    No argument there, it's subjective for sure. I can relate to getting tired of overused narrative devices.

You don't have to repeat that again and again. Believe it or not, we're aware of it by now. It doesn't increase your credibility or lend your argument more weight in this case. I've studied literature and I understand concepts of literature without being a published writer myself.

You'd do your points a favour if you focused on the actual argument instead of building up ego/reputation/credibility through profession-dropping.

Yeah, that's the point. It's what I was trying to say in my earlier post when I said that the cases are just a backdrop. They're not of much importance to me and many other people who like Castle. Many people don't watch Castle for the procedural parts so we don't mind if they're just used to provide some more subtext, comic relief or related background to what actually matters to people like myself. So I am willing to suspend my disbelief.
    Castle is both drama and comedy and both aspects are character-driven, not plot-driven.

I don't like cop shows, I love Castle.

17. Christopher

That's not what I'm doing. I don't think I have to prove anything to you. I was just offering my opinion of the episode, as I'm entitled to do, and you were the one who seemed to think it had to be an argument and criticized my opinions as if I were somehow wrong to have them. You're the one who seems to imagine this is some kind of debate that one of us has to win, which is a pretty damn ridiculous and rude way of approaching a discussion of a TV episode.

And frankly I feel that you're the one who's condescending to me and my entire profession by talking as though just because something is fictional, it's an excuse to be lazy and sloppy. It shows gross ignorance for what being a writer actually means, and is frankly rather insulting, so I think I'm entitled to point out to you that you don't know what the hell you're talking about when it comes to what I do for a living. You're the one who could stand to learn a little humility.

18. { Emilia }

I'm going to ignore the overly dramatic tone and just address one point:

I don't think that having the cases mirror their personal stories as a subtext is "sloppy writing". I explained why people who like the character-driven part of the show and don't care much about the murder cases actually like that. It makes the cases interesting to people who don't like cop shows.

You are the one who thinks it's sloppy writing because you've got a pretty narrow view on how fiction should be written (with a heavy focus on plot.). So because the writers are doing something you don't like, and I defend it because my focus is different you accuse me of insulting writers by embracing sloppy writing? Give me a break.

Last edited: Oct 2, 2012
  19. Christopher

I was just coming back here to edit my comments to something less confrontational, because I recognize that I'm in a bad mood today and it's coloring my reactions, leading me to be inappropriately hostile. But you clearly relish being hostile and engaging in pointless ad hominem argument over something that really isn't worth it, so I think it would've been impossible to say something to you that wouldn't have provoked that kind of response. So I'll just walk away and not respond to you at all anymore.

20. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

So you were only reading your own posts then?