Last Classic Who Story you watched

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Pindar, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Something like that, I've tried to blank them out to be honest :lol: From watching B7 on it's first run it was probably around 91 when I saw those videos and I was horrified, this show I'd loved growing up was some kind of abomination that wasn't half the show I remembered! Luckily once they brought the proper box sets out I realised I still loved it!

2. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I watched The Pyramid of Mars. It was ok, but forgettable. The villain had kind of an interesting design, but honestly the story felt like it was stretched too long with 4 episodes. Next up for the 4th Doctor will be The Android Invasion.

3. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    Many years ago at a local science fiction convention, my roommates and I had an open room for Doctor Who videos. For some reason I have never been able to fathom, people wanted to see Pyramids of Mars... over... and... over... and... over.

To this day I cannot stand that story.

4. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Pyramids of Mars is absolutely riveting. Love that story.

5. Timewalker

Not when you have to put up with it four times in the same day!

6. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Moonbase. I was really looking forward to this but was left a bit underwhelmed.

The animation was ok in the first episode but I didn't enjoy part 3 and I put that down to the animation.

The making of doc was more entertaining.

7. BlastHardcheese

BlastHardcheese Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The Ark. No, not that Ark in Space, the first one. I was pleasantly surprised to see the First Doctor performing actual medical care. Pity the Monoids were one-dimensional jerkass villains.

8. Captain Dago

Captain Dago Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The Sensorites. Really enjoyed it, too. One of the few episodes in which Susan is interesting.

9. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

I watched The Android Invasion, which was ok but not very memorable. I then watched The Five Doctors, which I enjoyed. I wish that Tom Baker had actually appeared, but besides that it was a good story. It was also my first time watching something with the 5th Doctor (besides his web episode with Tennant) and the first time I've seen the Classic Who version of The Master. The 5th Doctor seemed cool, and I liked this version of the master better than the modern version (who isn't bad, but was a bit too goofy) and he was also about 1000x better than the movie version.

10. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

I just watched The Web Planet for the first time.

Weird. Just weird.

11. Timewalker

The only good actors to ever play the Master were Roger Delgado and Anthony Ainley. Both so charming, so suave... so delightfully evil. :)

12. Morfius

Morfius Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Peter Prat was my Master

13. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

Yeah. That's my verdict in a nutshell as well. I later read an interview with RTD and Verity Lambert where Russell claimed it was a favourite of his. But maybe he was joking.

I've yet to see any of the classic Masters except for Delgado. I'm not sure they'll be able to measure up. He was fantastic in the role and the interactions between him and the Doctor could make up even for weak stories. I did like Simms' take a lot, too. I think it was a good decision to play the character differently from the classic version.

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Just watched The Chase for the first time and thought it was a lot of fun. Obviously there wasn't much of a plot, with the Daleks simply chasing the TARDIS around from place to place, but it was still cool seeing them pop in and out of so many different environments so quickly. In fact it almost had the feel of a New Series story in that way.

Another one I finally finished was The Mind Robbers. I had trouble getting through it once before, but this time I thought the story actually worked rather well.

15. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

Ainley's Master should've been replaced after Peter Davison left IMO, his last three appearances weren't as good as his appearances against Davison.

16. Emperor-Tiberius

Emperor-Tiberius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I never warmed up to Ainley's Master, to be honest... he was as one-dimensional as they come, and half the time he'd be disguished as some other character for no good reason other than the "twist" factor, and half the other time he'd be giggling endlessly. Rarely he'd be imposing a figure - chiefly, in his debut story and, IMO, in Ultimate Foe, for instance.

On-screen, I think only Delgado is really worth the part, because he was the only one that I thought could stand on his own against the Doctor, and on his own terms, too.

17. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

The Seeds Of Doom and Nightmare Of Eden, being my most recent trade-ups to DVD.

18. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ant A wanted to play it more subtly, more like Logopolis and Ultimate Foe, but when he did the directors tended to ask for a more cackly take two.

19. Count Zero

Count Zero No nation but procrastination Moderator

I liked that one a lot as well. The scenes of the Doctor grooving along to the Beatles playing on his super-TV and the TARDIS landing on the Mary Celeste (I like those throw-away explanations of mysteries the show sometimes throws at you) and on the Empire State Building are scenes that kinda stuck with me.
    I also like the ending of Ian and barbara finally making it home. I always wondered how they explained their two years long absence later on, though.

20. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

The Chase was the first story to have a future companion playing a different part and of course Peter Pruves would play Steven later on. The Chase was supposed to be the template for the third theater movie and much of the plot was redone in The Dalek Masterplan.