Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No, I meant that that Tuvok's son is called Elieth, isn't he? I didn't know the Merlin character's name, I just call him "Tuvok's son", as opposed to "the one off Heroes" and "the one with the arms." If that's the Merlin character's name, then it's just a creepy coincidence.

2. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Did she? I don't recall that, in those books. I recall she had black hair, but I don't recall reading anything about her skin color. And Memory Beta notes her hair color...but is otherwise silent about her features (except that she's quite attractive for her age...).

Direct quote, please?

He appeared in Tuvok's backstory in Pathways.

Hmm...Freeman, while a superb and charismatic actor, never struck me as the kind to play a stoic, rationalistic Vulcan. He seems more "wise" and "kindly" than "logical".

Denzel I think can play "stern" a bit better.

But...that's just me. ;)

Last edited: Dec 31, 2011
  3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't remember there ever being any mention of her skin color either.

4. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Dennis Haysbert?

"That's logic's stand. Are you in good hands?"

5. Rush Limborg

Haysbert...well, maybe, but I think his voice is too "booming" for a Vulcan.

Perhaps...Dennis Haysbert as Mogh, Worf's father? Mogh was in KRAD's The Art Of The Impossible, I recall....

6. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm in the process of moving, and my copy of Kill is lent out, so I'm afraid I don't have access to my copies of either one. But I distinctly remember L'Haan being described as black. I encourage you to re-read the "Undisclosed Location" chapters and see for yourself.

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

I'm afraid you're getting a little mixed up. From A Time to Kill p. 87-8:

Now, some works of fiction in recent years have cast black actresses as Cleopatra out of a misconception that she was "African" and an even greater misconception that there is only one ethnic group on the entire African continent (for instance, Gina Torres played her on Xena), but of course Cleopatra was the last of the highly inbred Ptolemaic dynasty and was pure Macedonian Greek. Most "artists' depictions" over the ages have probably tended to portray her with Mediterranean looks or else have modeled her on the artists' own cultural standards of beauty (even though history suggests that the real Cleopatra VII wasn't actually that good-looking but compensated for it with her keen seductive skills).

Or maybe what's confusing you is that her hair and costume were both described as black, so that word might stand out in your memory of her description.

8. Sci

I stand corrected! Though it was probably the Cleopatra reference that caused me to misremember her as being described as a black Vulcan.

ETA:

Ironically enough, Gina Torres is who I've always pictured as L'Haan. I don't know if it's because I was influenced by her sometimes stoic performances as Zoe and Jasmine in Firefly and Angel or if I was remembering her performance as Cleopatra in Xena.

9. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

^ Probably because picturing her is rather pleasant.

10. Rush Limborg

^Well at any rate...I suppose I stand by my casting, of Alberta Watson. ;)

BTW...here's a pic of her, from 24. Her demeanor resembles "Vulcan amusement" here, I think:
    http://remote.lohudblogs.com/files/2007/11/24_pre_5.jpg

Give her the Vulcan eyebrows, she could be given a slight "Cleopatra" look. The "age" thing could be accounted for with...well, L'Haan's over 100 years old.

Still with Hugo Weaving as Zeitsev--and I'm liking Danny Huston more and more as Cole.

Don't know about Dietz. His part wasn't too "big" (i.e., interesting) to stick in my mind enough for a role....

11. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

After seeing her on Nikita this past season I really like Melinda Clarke as L'Haan. Alberta Watson was ok in 24, but I find Melinda Clarke alot more intimidating and honestly... kinda scary.

12. PKS8304

PKS8304 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

After reading Mission Gamma: Twilight and watching season 1 of Terra Nova I really think Stephen Lang: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0002332/
    could play an excellent Elias Vaughn.

13. Bob Karo

Bob Karo Captain Captain

I never considered it, but I like it.

14. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Hmmm, I think I could see that.

15. Sci

Eh, I dunno. I feel like his vibe is too overtly macho.

16. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The physical image fits in that lower left hand picture.

But I've only seen him as the bad guy in Avatar, where he looked like an actual cartoon character brought to life.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2012
  17. Rush Limborg

Well...here's a scene from Nikita with both of them:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YypoOMrgQog

Somehow...I think Alberta (sitting on the couch) seems more "Vulcan-like" here, as well as intimidating, and a little scary. TBH, her portrayal in this scene is almost exactly how I imagined L'Haan: her presence, her "I'm in command in this room" demeanor, and even her lines....

Melinda, in this scene, strikes me as more of an agent--her speaking style is more fast-paced, if you will. She seems less of a "director", more of a trusted subordinate, who carries out the Bureau's decisions.

18. JWolf

JWolf Commodore Commodore

19. Cybersnark

Cybersnark Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hmm. I like it. He's got the voice, and Terra Nova proves he can go from Special-Ops-veteran hardcase to kind father-figure to honourable idealist.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I like Stephen Lang for Vaughn because there's just something about his voice that suggests otherworldliness. I am only familiar with his L&O work (he's been on all three series, in various roles) and he's just got the right amount of weirdness in the way he speaks. So depending on which point in Vaughn's life we meet him, Lang could definitely work.