THE CAPE | “Pilot” & “Tarot” (Jan. 9) *Spoilers!*

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Jetfire, Jan 8, 2011.

?

Rate THE CAPE! (Don't Vote Till After The Episode Has Aired)

Poll closed Apr 8, 2011.
  1. ----------1x1 "Pilot"---------

6.3%
  2. Excellent!

10.4%
  3. Good

39.6%
  4. Average

18.8%
  5. Bad

10.4%
  6. Horrible!

8.3%
  7. ----------1x2 "Tarot"----------

4.2%
  8. Excellent!

4.2%
  9. Good

43.8%
  10. Average

14.6%
  11. Bad

8.3%
  12. Horrible!

14.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Heroes' first season was vastly better. The Cape is stilted and unimaginative, with nothing to induce me to keep watching.

I think they're trying for a light comic touch - there were some comic lines in there, certainly - but they crashed like the proverbial lead balloon. Either the writers can't do comedy or the plank of wood they hired as the lead can't deliver comedy. I appreciate comedy, but only when it doesn't make me cringe and feel embarrassed for everyone involved. It's almost more cringe-worthy than the dumbass cape.

2. Nobody

Nobody Commodore Commodore

It was never clearer then when Richard Schiff was on-screen. He's a proven actor, he can be dramatic or funny, and elevate those around him. It was so painful to see him on The Cape, he tried his damnedest but the script wouldn't let him, and he couldn't coax anything on the lead in there scene.

Also, Secretary of Prisons? :rofl: I'm all for camp, but c'mon, that's just lazy.

3. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

Has no TV show or movie ever attempted to get a food critic's job right? The restaurant isn't supposed to know who you are otherwise they'd give you special treatment. And they know that food critics never announce themselves.

Granted, that's not what The Cape was going for. They were going for... I'm not sure what they were going for, actually.

Also, the kitchen was completely empty with nothing cooking during dinner hours. :lol:

4. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Bitter Feast.

Saw this a few days ago. A celebrity chefs life is ruined by a food critic, and decides to get his revenge on the guy by kidnapping him, keeping him in his basement and torturing him in all sorts of food themed tasks that usually end up ith beatings from a frying pan or being served as dinner to his spouse, like an evil version of Survivor.

Any word on cancellation yet?

Viva Lachlan, Lonestar and the beautiful life all got cancelled after 2 episodes for being unwatchable shit in recent history.

5. Aragorn

Ever since NBC collapsed, they don't seem to be very quick on the trigger in pulling shows (other than Conan O'Brien) because... what else are they gonna air?

6. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

I didn't think it was that bad. It wasn't great either, but it was watchable. I'll stick with it for now. Keith David was a hoot though.

7. IndyJones

IndyJones Vice Admiral Admiral

So, Palm City appeared to be LA, Chicago, and Boston. Anyone recognize any other cityscapes used?

Yeah that was pretty funny. :techman:

8. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I'm sure they've got 4 reality shows in the waiting.

At least finish the season. Even Knight Rider got that far even when half the cast was cut MIDWAY.

9. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

In addition, the show hasn't even reached its normal timeslot yet.

"Secretary of Prisons" was probably just shorthand for "Secretary of the Department of Corrections." Some states include variations on "Public Safety, "Correctional Services," and "Rehabilitation" in the title as well, so it would seem to be easier to simply say "of Prisons." Granted, it probably would've been less unwieldy to say "Secretary of Corrections" instead. Most states use Director or Commissioner as the title of the agency executive, but there are a few states who use Secretary.

10. Guy Gardener

A show with true balls would have called Schiff the "Screw Tsar".

Why wear a mask when you are the only person on the show with an English accent?

Why wear a mask when that mask has vilified a patsy who died wearing the mask when wearing the mask will only prove after the fact that the patsy was a patsy or still alive?

I have a terrible ear for music, so anyone please tell me if they ever play any music on the show fromt he musical Chess.

THE SHOW IS SO STUPID IT MAKES ADAM WEST'S BATMAN LOOK LIKE FROST VS NIXON.

11. Reverend

Reverend Admiral Admiral

Hmm...I'm not feeling it I'm afraid. No real subtly, so far the plots make very little sense and the only character that's even halfway interesting is Keith David's. Hell even Summer Glau comes off as bland, which is unusual in and of itself.
    Though I realise it's intentional, I'm not liking the very overt comic-strip motifs, it makes the show feel a little dim and about 30 years too late. It's also very derivative with many of the characters feeling like cheep knock-offs of far better characters. It's almost as if they really wanted to do a show where The Spirit teams up with Oracle but they couldn't secure the rights or something.

Having said all that it's not exactly a *bad* show, just very very mediocre and they'll have to really pick up their game or I shall give it a permanent miss.

12. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

I agree with all of the above sentiments. I'm in, at least for the initial 13-episode run. A friend of mine felt that it had more of a Dick Tracy feel than that of a traditional super-hero show. I can see that.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2011
  13. Guy Gardener

Summer is way hotter than Lynda.

(Though Summer is geometrically hotter the crazier her character is. Kind'a like the Hulk, but with hotness.)

Batman and Wonder Woman were made for the 5 to 12 year old demographic, if demographics had existed back them.

The Cape it seems is being made for adults.

14. Hyperspace05

Hyperspace05 Commodore Commodore

Count me in with the crowd that is surprised how rough the recenption of this show has been in this thread.

I really enjoyed it, rating both episodes as good. (But a 'high' good)

Things I like:
    - the off-beat tone
    - the elements of humor ("but you aren't wearing a cape" - "point taken") :lol:
    - cool characters (no annoying ones yet)
    - Keith David rocks (I was bummed when they seemed like they were going to kill him off in the pilot) ;)
    - fun villains
    - a main villain that actually enjoys the new challenge

I can't really think of many negatives, mostly the pacing in the pilot. A few minor nits keeping the grades from being "excellent". I am enjoying it so far.

I'll definitely be keeping my season pass.

15. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

Yeah when Keith David got a death scene I was prepared to drop the show; he was the only interesting character!!!

16. CaptJimboJones

CaptJimboJones Vice Admiral Admiral

I went into it with very low expectations, hoping for a pulpy, brainless comedic take on the superhero story and the chance to ogle the amazing Summer Glau. And it didn't live up to even those low expectations. It was just ... horribly, horribly bad.

17. Obiwanshinobi

Obiwanshinobi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Summer Glau is freakin' gorgeous, but it's not enough. I just can't do it. I cannot proceed any further. Maybe, I'll drop on by later because there's not much on after Chuck. I guess I could start watching Lie to Me again.

I've got 4 episodes left on Season 3 of Breaking Bad and going from that to this. I know, I know totally different shows, but still.

I did like Shameless's pilot though, I'll just save that show for Monday viewing.

18. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Same here. I'm all for dumb, campy fun, but this was just idiotically bad. The pacing and editing were absolutely terrible, the style and look were a complete ripoff of Heroes, and the whole thing reminded me of one of those cheap syndicated shows from the 90s, like M.A.N.T.I.S.

Worst of all, there was no cool factor whatsoever with the main character. If we at least got a cool costume or some kickass action I might be able to endure some of the other stuff, but this guy's big superpower... is the ability to fling his cape at people? Seriously?? :wtf:

19. Temis the Vorta

Temis the Vorta Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, Schiff was another cringeworthy element. I couldn't help thinking how far he's fallen since West Wing.

James Frain and Keith David are also a lot of fun, but this show doesn't deserve them. It's hard to enjoy a show when you feel bad for the actors. :rommie:

Premiere numbers.

2.5 - 2.6 demo would be cancellation fodder on any network but NBC. So it may well survive.

Surprisingly there was no drop off. I had to force myself to keep watching. That might bode well for next week (but the better The Cape does, the bleaker things look for Chuck).

20. Aragorn

^ Any network but NBC? Does that mean you're not counting the CW as a network? :lol: