Sfdebris lists his picks for worst Star Trek movies and Tv episodes

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by The Overlord, Jan 10, 2014.

1. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Re: Sfdebris lists his picks for worst Star Trek movies and Tv episode

That's one of my favourite episodes of VOY.:lol:

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I too think the Voyager episode with the re-arranging ship and "Captain Janeway arms" scene (when she reaches into the distorting Jefferies tube - it became a term for reaching out and flailing in my family:)) to be a highlight of the first season.

3. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

Twisted was a very cool episode.

:techman:

And it wasn't an inexplicable space-time anomaly, it was an intelligence trying to communicate.

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Can't say I agree with much from Sfdebris's list. I enjoy Trek V. Code of Honour is embarrassingly bad, but there are worse. I enjoy Nemesis. Profit and Lace is simply unmemorable. Not particularly good, but not particularly bad either. Threshold is probably in my top 10 favourite Voyager episodes. A Night in Sickbay is a very stupid episode, but watching it the hour goes by pretty quickly and it certainly is not the worse episode of Trek overall.

The worse episode over all? I'm going to say Plato's Stepchildren. You know something's wrong with the episode when Shatner pretending to be a horse is the highlight of the episode and the only real reason to watch it.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

I stand corrected. But I still remember that ep being fairly tedious and lacking in drama--and fizzling out at the end.

"This is it! We're all going to die . . . oh, never mind. It was just a harmless intelligence trying to communicate. At ease, everybody. We're cool."

And wandering from deck to deck, trying to figure out where everything is now, is not exactly gripping television. I can get the same experience at the King of Prussia Mall. :)

6. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Ooops sorry but I think I was thinking of another episode "Shattered" maybe.:lol:
    Its that episode I like despite popular opinion.
    But 'Twisted' is OK IMO

7. AgentCoop

AgentCoop Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I really like "Twisted", but I'm a sucker for pseudo-scientific weirdness. That's why I usually like Brannon Braga's episodes (although I don't think "Twisted" was one of his).

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I remember squeeing in the middle of "Twisted" something like, "At last! Something original!" And then it turned into just another happy meal.

As Greg said, it just fizzled out. Typical fare, except that the let-down was perhaps a bigger than usual. :shrug:

9. Sophronisba

Sophronisba Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I have such a bad sense of direction that Twisted is basically a documentary of my everyday life. But I still liked it. I can think of a lot of worse episodes of Voyager: Favorite Son, Demon, False Profits, The Q and the Grey....

10. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

"Shattered" is the one where the ship splits into different time zones, right? Yeah, that was a lot more fun.

11. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Having finally watched these: he almost sells me on the contention that Nemesis is a worse movie than The Final Frontier.

Almost. But no cigar. :)

12. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

That starship left Spacedock far earlier in the series.

13. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

Shattered is fun. Twisted, eh. The better the writing is, the easier it is to forgive scientific silliness. Twisted is boring enough that it's hard to ignore the ridiculous that the ship is continuously reshaping itself but somehow doors always lead to other doors. If it was a well written episode that would be okay, but it's not.

Shattered at least gave us entertaining fanservice, and gave Chakotay the action role that makes him seem like a passable character.

14. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Not even "almost" for me. Nemesis is bad, but TFF still easily holds onto the, um, "crown" for Worst Trek Movie!
    Yeah, like, sometime around... say, "Broken Bow"? :lol:

Anyway, as for me: everything on SFDebris' list is certainly bad, but there are other episodes that didn't make it - "The Way to Eden" and "Justice" both come to mind - that I would say are far worse than anything on there except "A Night in Sickbay" and "Code of Honor".

15. JirinPanthosa

I like Move Along Home. It's certainly not a great episode, and if they came up with more interesting obstacles the game would have been more interesting. But it was such a cool idea, and rather harmless.

The worst DS9 episode in my opinion is Sword of Kahless. Profit and Lace is pretty bad too, The Darkness and the Light was crap and Empok Nor is a B version of a B horror film and the only DS9 episode to employ the TOS philosophy of dehumanized redshirt fodder. But Sword of Kahless was the worst in terms of characters behaving absurdly.

16. Saito S

Saito S Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While I didn't think "Sword of Kahless" was anywhere near as bad as "Profit & Lace" (which is DS9's singular worst episode IMO), I agree about both "The Darkness and the Light" and - especially - "Empok Nor," and especially especially because of what you said about the redshirting. I don't feel the episode, as a whole, is the worst of the series, but it probably made me angrier than any other episode in the series, for this very reason. Those extras were given just a bit of personality, then made to look ridiculously incompetent, then all callously killed off, with nary a mention made of them afterward. It was main character shields at their worst.

This from the same series that gave us another episode where several extras died, but treated it in the exact opposite way, in "The Ship". :sigh:

17. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I thought "The Darkness and the Light" was pretty good, a classic Ron Moore story that is a kind of precursor to the ambiguity of Battlestar Galactica.

18. JirinPanthosa

Actually now that I think about it there's a worse DS9 ep than SoK.

I forget the name, but the one where Ezri channels Joran to solve a murder.

Besides that it was staged like a poor imitation of Fincher, the investigation made no sense. The very idea that you could jump from smiling pictures to 'The killer is a Vulcan!' is absurd.

Not to mention, if you tapped someone on the station to investigate a murder, wouldn't your first choice be Odo, rather than the girl still so new an individual she can't get her own personality straight?

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

^^
    The episode is called "Field of Fire."

20. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Come to think of it, I wouldn't really put "Code of Honor" on a "worst of" list. It's certainly bad, and riddled with cliches and sexism and has one-note aliens who would be borderline offensive even if they hadn't all been arbitarily cast as African -- but for offensive attitudes there are far worse episodes ("The Omega Glory," "Angel One," "Turnabout Intruder"), and there are much better contenders for full-spectrum awfulness ("The Alternative Factor").