One-time Trek guest stars you'd like to see interviewed

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by t_smitts, Apr 1, 2013.

1. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

While every regular and pretty much every recurring player on the various shows have been interviewed multiple times for various magazines and websites, I'm always interested in what some of the more memorable guest actors, either for a single episode or two or three-part arc, have to say about their roles on the show.

There's a few I'd love to see interviewed and asked about their guest spot on the shows

(Obviously, I'm talking about living actors, not ones you'd need a Ouija board to reach).

-Bob Gunton (Maxwell)
    -Frank Langella (Jaro)
    -Harris Yulin (Marritza)
    -Stephen McHattie (Vreenak)
    -Kevin Conway (Kahless)
    -Terry O'Quinn (Admiral Pressman)
    -Paul Sorvino (Nikolai)
    -Kelsey Grammer (Bateson)
    -Beth Touissant (Ishara)
    -Christopher McDonald (Castillo)
    -Famke Janssen (Kamala)
    -Patrick Massett (Duras)
    -Lawrence Pressman (Ghemor)
    -James Sloyan (Jarok/Mora)
    -Bill Bolender (The Albino)
    -John Vickery (Rusot)
    -Clarence Williams III (Omet'iklan)

2. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

John Vickery cannot be on your list. By your own definition, the actor (or actress) can only have played a single character in up to a three-episode arc. John planed three characters on three series - a Betazed in TNG, a Cardassian in DS9, and a Klingon in the Abomination.

Sloyan had even more characters, including the Bajoran scientist who Odo tried to copy. He was also a Romulan on TNG, something on Voyager, and an adult Alexander on TNG.

For actual one-time guests, I'd like to see David Ogden Stiers - Timicin - interviewed.

3. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

Saul Rubinek. Especially interesting because he doesn't normally do TV.
    Hallie Todd (Lal), too. That must have been a challenging role.

4. OmahaStar

That may have changed. He's been on Warehouse 13 for years now. Last year, he and Brent Spiner had a reunion on that show. He's still fun to watch, even with BS tagging along.

Having met her, I have to agree. She is so bubbly and fun, so full of life and always cracking jokes. With Lal, she had to tone everything down. And still, it worked wonderfully.

5. yousirname

yousirname Commander Red Shirt

I guess it has changed. I even remember reading about that somewhere, how Spiner and he were on the same show.

6. OmahaStar

I'm glad I gave the show a chance ... eventually. I heard the plot of the series and figured "well, it's on sci-fi, so it's probably going to suck ..." and tuned in to an early episode. It only confirmed that opinion. A few years go by, and suddenly I'm hearing from all over the place how good the show is, how fun it is, and I give it a second chance. It would have been just before the Ashmore twin joined the cast. And yeah, it is tons of fun. Thanks to that, I have seen the Spiner episodes, and those two still play off each other brilliantly.

Spiner has range outside Data. Who knew?

7. Frontier

Frontier Vice Admiral Admiral

Rubinek had a rather extensive recurring role in the middle-late seasons of "Fraiser" so he's been doing TV on a more regular basis for quite a while...

Also, Lawrence Pressmen (Ghemor) can't be on the list either. Ghemor was seen twice on DS9, but he also played a Starfleet Admiral at one point I think, and he was the Changeling Odo killed in the 3rd season finale.

Likewise, Frank Langella's role was for 2 or 3 episodes so... does it count as one-off?

I have read repeatedly that Langella did the role on DS9 specifically as a favor to his kids, who where big fans of Trek. They wanted him to do something on Trek, he did that, I don't think he was credited officially (by choice) for it and... that's all that's written about it.

I think I read an interview with O'Quinn in which he mentioned his TNG appearance. He was talking about how he had done it, and so had Daniel Dae Kim (this was during "Lost") and someone else had also and... it's a vague memory of it being mentioned.

Kelsey Grammer - it's reported he cell-phoned in a vocal cameo for "First Contact" during the distress sequence audio. He apparently said "Acknowledged" after some orders where issued to "Defiant and Bozeman, fall back to mobile position 10" or some such (I can't remember the exact line, even though I've seen the film 135 times) so would that break the one-time rule? :P

Sloyan would be interesting. He did the voice-overs for that one car company, Infinity maybe, for the better part of a decade, didn't he? He's impossible to find a decent photo of. I know, I looked, wanted to have him in an Ultimately Human photo special back in the day. Could not find anything.

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Clancy Brown. He's never been shy about genre films (even doing Frankenstein's monster), and he's done good guys, scarey bad guys, drama, comedy, and is always worth watching in a scene.

9. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Interviews with Howard Shangraw (Tolar in "In the Pale Moonlight") and David Birney (Senator Letant in "Tears of the Prophets") would be cool.

10. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

James Sloyan was also the alien scientist Jetrel in the Voyager episode of the same name.

Also, Stephen McHattie has had two roles in Trek. He also played an alien mine foreman in the Enterprise episode The Xindi.

11. Finn

Finn Bad Batch of TrekBBS Admiral

Masset did Duras twice. Pressman did Ghemor twice as well. They shouldn't be on this list

12. Mojochi

Mojochi Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

-Billy Campbell (Outrageous Okona) Be interesting to hear his take on being one of the douchier characters in Trek history

-David Ogden Stiers (Half A Life) He actually stood out to me as a rather prestigious guest actor to nab

-David Huddleston
    (Emergence) You almost don't even notice he was on the show

-Bebe Neuwirth (First Contact) lol

-
    Fionnula Flanagan (Inheritance) Until she showed up on Lost I'd hadn't seen her in anything else

-Ronny Cox
    (Chain of Command) I mean... Come. on.

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

David Warner, Adrienne Barbeau, and Lisa Wilcox.

14. Mojochi

Multiples roles in Star Trek

15. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Flanagan's done TNG, DS9, and ENT.

16. Mojochi

No kidding. I'd never caught that

17. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

Apparently, he has been interviewed for the season six Blu-Rays. One of the VAM producers tweeted a still from the interview.

18. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

I know, but the OP very specifically referred to Trek on TV. And seeing as I'd love to hear Warner's thoughts on Chain of Command, I chose to be pedantic. :)

19. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

John Doman from The Wire; he was Lenaris in "Shakaar".

20. t_smitts

t_smitts Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't think it needs to be completely hard and fast. I did say two-or-three episode arcs. Just not a regular or someone you'd consider a recurring role. Same, I think goes for actors who played two or three different roles many years apart.

David Warner and Ronny Cox have both been interviewed by startrek.com:

http://www.startrek.com/article/david-warner-recounts-his-trek-adventures

http://www.startrek.com/article/ronny-cox-looks-back-at-chain-of-command