David Slade Will Direct Daredevil for Fox

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Mar 15, 2011.

1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

It's only official now, but doesn't become OFFICIAL official until October. ;)

There is still a small chance FOX changes their minds at the last second, and releases something that is complete shit like that Fantastic Four movie to desperately hold onto the DD rights.

2. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

Corman's FF movie wasn't complete shit. It was cheap but it had heart. Tim Story's FF was complete shit. No heart at all.

3. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Really? Cool.

4. Admiral James Kirk

Yeah, it will have a flashback/flashforward structure. Hank Pym in the 60s in Tales to Astonish mode and then Scott Lang in the present day. For more info check out the production history of Ant-Man on the Marvel Movies Wiki.

5. Captaindemotion

^That does sound rather good.

But in having two different Antmen, it doesn't preclude Marvel from using the modern day incarnation in the rest of the MCU. And only part of the movie will be set in the 60s, not all of it.

I just have my doubts about whether or not they'd establish Matt Murdock as being a hero in the 1970s, thus meaning he'd be too old to join in the present day fun and games, in terms of swinging off buildings and the like. But I'd be happy to be proven wrong!

6. Admiral James Kirk

I'm assuming that Ant-Men will be like The Mask of Zorro with Pym passing the torch to Lang at the end of it. As for DD, it doesn't necessarily have to be set in the 70s to have a gritty, grimy, violent 1970s feel. However I think a 70s setting would be extremely cool.

7. Captaindemotion

^Agreed on both counts.

Edit. You know what's interesting, if off-topic? Some months ago, Carnahan announced that he was remaking Death Wish - surely an inspiration for a gritty, 70s-set New York-based thriller. Now that DD has fallen through, he's returned to DW. But, rather than re-hash or transpose the ideas he had for his Daredevil reboot to his Death Wish remake, it seems he's going to set it in LA and update it.

http://www.aintitcool.com/node/57634

Last edited: Aug 15, 2012
  8. Admiral James Kirk

Yeah, I knew about it. It sounds like he's carrying a lot of what he liked in DW to the remake. I've always liked the original and I'm looking forward to the new one. Still, I hope Joe Carnahan is asked to pitch his concept for DD to Marvel when they're ready to make it.

9. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Agreed. Corman's movie hit the "family" vibe, which is essential to a good FF tale, much more than the Story movie did. And Corman's movie was about people who were at least recognizable as Reed Richards and Victor Von Doom.

But back on topic-- you know what is almost as cool as getting Daredevil himself back? Getting Ben Urich back. Now there is your "bridge" character for street-level heroes.

10. Admiral James Kirk

I hope they get Joey Pants to play him.

11. Data Holmes

Data Holmes Admiral Admiral

That would be great. It could be a whole separate part of universe from the Avengers one, in that you could still have the 70's characters appear as older incarnations of themselves in the avengers present day films.

12. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Crazy talk. I know it's popular to bash, but if there's one thing the Fox FF got right, it was that these characters had a (developing) relationship. And their Johnny and Ben were absolutely perfect.

13. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I only hope Marvel doesn't let that shit happen again now that superhero movies have gotten so big. Constantin Films making a FF movie that they had no intention of releasing just to keep the rights was a dick move. Also Marvel has the big bad Disney lawyers on their side this time.

14. Admiral James Kirk

In Corman's movie all the characters and relationships were perfect. It was only the production values that were lacking.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Johnny and Ben were the only people that cared about in those movies.

I thought Chris Evans was good as Johnny, but I thought he was even better as Captain America. It helps that CA and Avengers blew away both FF movies in terms of quality.

16. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Is there a reason it was never released on video? It sounds like more people should see it.

17. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Exactly. Although, I grant Kestral's point about Story's Johnny and Ben. However, I also think that that relationship is the only thing Story's movie got 100% right.

18. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I think it's funny that Marvel pretty much stole the only worthy actor from the FF movie, aside from Michael Chiklis, and made him Captain America. Evans was always their first choice for CA. To his credit he plays Johnny Storm and Steve Rogers as two completely different characters.

I still can't get over how completely miscast Doom was in the Tim Story movies. :sigh:

19. Admiral James Kirk

I agree about Evans and Chiklis.

From what I understand Avi Arad ordered the negative burned when Fox acquired the rights to the franchise.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2012
  20. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I really think Michael Chiklis should appear in Captain America 2. Evans and Chiklis reunion!:rommie: