The Dark Knight - Grading & Discussion

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Agent Richard07, Jul 8, 2008.

?

Grade the movie...

1. Excellent

79.4%
  2. Above Average

13.5%
  3. Average

5.0%
  4. Below Average

0.6%
  5. Poor

1.5%
  1. Luke Lightsaber

Luke Lightsaber Captain

2. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

FYI, Richard Roeper will have an early review for The Dark Knight on his show this weekend. Check your local listings for showtimes (since it's syndicated).

Also, he briefly wrote about the movie in his regular column:

Once again, our city shines on film. New York can make all the claims it wants to make, but Chicago IS Gotham City in "The Dark Knight," the highly anticipated Batman movie coming to theaters July 18.

I'll be reviewing it on "At the Movies with Ebert & Roeper" this weekend, but for now let's just say that it will be a huge upset if the late Heath Ledger ISN'T nominated for an Academy Award for best supporting actor -- and it won't be due to some maudlin sympathy vote.

Ledger doesn't have to steal every scene he's in because he walks in and owns it from the get-go. This is one of the funniest, creepiest, darkest, most interesting and most amazing performances I've seen in any movie this decade.

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

Here is a nice write up in TIME magazine online.

I'd argue TIH is better than that and Wanted not worth of carrying Iron Man's boots. They should switch spots but I digress.

4. Aragorn

5. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Thanks for posting that as I was looking forward to seeing what they would say about the film. I'm kind of surprised with all the glowing reviews that this movie has generated, even Oscar buzz as well and legitmate buzz too that seems rare. Maybe only Return of the King was the last to generate that. Damn my foot recovery!!!! I'm going to go crazy as the Joker this weekend. I hope you all who are going to see it this weekend appreiate the fact that you're able lol.

6. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I will watch the film with you in mind, Adam. :) I hope you enjoy a full recovery.

7. Admiral_Young

Yeah I hope its quick as well...and thanks its rather frustrating to have to miss this but I guess this just goes to show that there are more important things to focus on in a fan boy's life!!! From what the prognosis looks like right now I might be able to see in a month or so...until then I may have to consider um...uh...other means to see it! You can all go back to talking about the film now, never mind about this aside!

8. Captain Craig

So T'Baio has seen this, as well as the 2 who voted Excellent?
    I know Luke Lightsaber said he saw it on a sneak 7/9.

9. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

Who cares? It's not like we're using the data for some research project or anything. ;)

10. Captain Craig

Then why have the poll if no one cares?
    I just don't like when people vote sight unseen. Its done at IMDB, RT and BOM way to much. If everyone that voted "F" on Meet Dave at BOM actually saw the movie then its weekend take would've been way better just from site users at BOM.

Just saying T'Baio can hate it but I'd at least like a run down, spoiler coded for now, of issues as to why. Luke voted against HB2 last week cause of his "feelings" on it, sight unseen.

11. Spaceman Spiff

Spaceman Spiff Intrepid Explorer Administrator

That's all well and good, but it's not like there are rules about it. People can vote any way they want.

They're also allowed to vote sight unseen. It's not like the polls need hard data integrity.

12. Captain Craig

Current RottenTomatoes score for those curious and/or who care.
    Critic rating 86% that 22 reviews, 3 bad.
    Fan rating 78%

I think 97% of people already know if they are going to see, its got to be one of the top critic proof movies of the year. Hancock was probably one as 38% is its score and its done well to date after 2 weeks.

13. Aragorn

Hasn't T'Baio been pulling a MattJC (Star Trek), stj (Battlestar Galatica), Stewey (Enterprise) when it comes to The Dark Knight?

14. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Lol, it's hilarious watching the Rottentomato users jump on every review that's even a little bit critical of the movie. I mean, how DARE someone find the movie a little too grim or dull or not fun enough!

Geez. I hope the movie is good, but some of these Batman fans are getting to be as annoying and obnoxious as those Firefly fans from a couple years back...

15. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

If T'Baio has seen the movie -- and did not invite me -- I am going to kill him.

I will. I swear to Batman I will. Beware mods. THERE WILL BE BLOOD!

16. Aragorn

^ He drank your batshake with his batstraw.

17. Admiral_Young

^ LOL...actually I was rather thinking of voting excellent myself on the poll but just because I've been about a million percent committed to seeing this movie since Gordon flipped over the Joker card in Begins! The polls are just for fun and to give curious people an idea of what people thought of the movie without having to scroll through the threads themselves right? Sort of a quicky review if you're busy kind of thing.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

It's still kind of douchey to vote in it (positive or negative but more on the negative) having never seen it, just for the hell of it or to "skew the results."

19. StarTrek1701

StarTrek1701 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I will vote as soon as I watch this movie on Friday. :)

20. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

I seriously think that if Jesus Himself doesn't come out of the screen at the end of this movie and gives everyone in the theater blow jobs then a lot of people are going to be disapointed.

Trekker, blasphemer.

Last edited: Jul 15, 2008