(UEFA) Football Thread - Football not Soccer

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by Jax, Apr 1, 2008.

1. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

And the Billy Davies chucking his toys out of the pram and jumping ship countdown clock starts now...

He's already being vague about whether he'll stay at Forest, and already laying the blame at doors other than his own (the players were too young and lacked courage apparently, if only we could have played the play offs in December...I'm still waiting for the "if I'd only got the players I wanted in January...no support from the board" etc. etc.)

Made all the sweeter by a Leicester reject who played some of this season in a Derby shirt scoring a hat trick. As I've said all season, I could stand Forest getting promoted, but not with Billy at the helm, and I could stand Billy going up, just not with Forest!

Let's be honest though, Blackpool will likely get slaughtered in the Prem.

2. Angel4576

Angel4576 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Blackpool would do a Hull, ie. spend beyond their means and make a fight of it, but likely suffer the consequences when they inevitably come back down.

Some of the Billy quotes from last night were classic. My favourite was the one where he beomans the players, saying that they didn't turn up, and that they lacked courage, and made the wrong decisions.....but then says that he wouldn't criticise any of them! :rolleyes: Fcukwit.

3. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

He's an odd man, I'm amazed players seem to like/want to work for him.

Real shame for Fulham, that's a hell of a way to lost a major cup final. Better or worse than going out on pens though? I'm not sure.

Talking of pens, shame for the Foxes (not- in many respects I hate them more than Forest) So Cardiff vs Blackpool...interesting!

4. HappyDayRiot

HappyDayRiot Commodore Commodore

We should have had that game wrapped up long before extra time or penalties were even a consideration. I hated every second but what an experience that was. I could never stand through a shoot-out again though that was pure, pure torture. I believe we were the better side over the tie though, particularly going forward even if we could never beat Steve Howard in the air. Que sera sera...

That idiot Kermorgant though. What a fool. You just cannot dink a penalty when it's deadlocked at 3-3.

5. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Same thing happened to us against Southampton in the second leg. Oddly the play off final was far less harrowing than the semi!

6. Angel4576

A tribute to Kermorgant;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iad3gV-9C1U

:D

Totally deserved over the two legs, so pleased that Leicester didn't manage to fluke their way through this time.

Penalty shootouts are awful if you're involved. Great if you win but it doesn't change the torture that you have to get through beforehand. Luckily for us, when we went to pens against Southampton a few years ago we just blew them away! :)

7. HappyDayRiot

Hahaaha that song will be stuck in my head for ages. Might mp3 it for the train to Wembley! Well, if I go. The bloody ticket site is down today.

At least you guys get to keep your derby games next season. I expect Leicester will do what Bristol did now - fall on the cusp of back-to-back promotions and then fade into midtable. I hope not to be honest - they were one of the better sides I've seen this season.

8. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

I think Leicester will do ok so long as they hang onto the manager.

I probably thought the same last year but I do expect Derby to surprise people next season. Our home record was on a par with Leicester's we were only in relegation trouble because our away form was so terrible, and I think Nigel had learned a lot and we had started to get better at grinding out results away. Add to this the fact that the board seem to have woken up to the fact that while Nigel can do well on a budget, he needs a budget bigger than a league 2 side to do it! (Barker excepted)

So, what's the betting on Billy still being Forest manager come August? Apparently he'd be up for any job in football according to one interview. He might be playing Dougherty to get more funds/a new contract but you have to wonder if he isn't trying to contrive his own sacking so they have to pay up his contract (which is what he did at Derby as well)

Billy Davies, a very good championship level manager, but not a nice man at all. We're well rid and frankly I think forest would be well rid as well.

Would love for him to get the celtic job then finish 3rd or something! :lol:

9. Angel4576

Remember when he was touting himself as the next Scotland manager? :lol:

As someone who looks out for Rangers' results, I'd be delighted to see Davies take the Celtic job.

10. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Typical Forest ey and on my birthday too :rolleyes:. Only Notts Forest in 3 succesive playoff semi finals could have an aggerate score of 4 in each one and still lose EVERYONE.

I was shouting at tv for ages cause Cohen natural left footer on right and Tyson was pants on left plus that would of given Perch cover cause left back not his best position.

Going to start World Cup thread this friday.:techman:

11. Mr Cool Dude

Mr Cool Dude Guest

It's back to real football this Saturday night guys. :beer:
    Champions League Final 2010 at the Bernabeu

Bayern Munich V Inter Milan

Both sides have won their domestic double :eek:

Bayern knocked out the English champions, and the beaten team from last years final. Inter Milan knocked out the Spanish and the European champions Barcelona. :lol:

"The Dutch Master" Louis Van Gaal V "The Special One" Jose Mourinho :cool:

Both managers competing to join Ernst Happel and Ottmar Hitzfeld in football immortality. :angel:

LETS GET READY TO RUMBLEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

I think it's going to be a classic. I think it's going to be the kind of game that only real football fans can enjoy.

12. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I love the fact that there is no English teams are in this year's final. I think Inter will win, but the neutral in me always goes for the underdog.

13. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

Fuck Bayern, forza Inter!

14. HappyDayRiot

I think it's hugely unlikely that by KO I'll give a damn about the CL final, but I hope Mourinho loses. I'm sick of him and this country's media fawning over him. I hope Robben scores the goal that knocks him out.

15. Roger Wilco

Roger Wilco Admiral Admiral

The british media's fawning over Mourinho can't possibly be even 1/10th as obnoxious as the german media's fawning over Baydl München.

I hope Inter wins 1:0 by scoring a blatant offside goal in the 93. minute.

16. V'ger

V'ger Lieutenant Red Shirt

its gonna be English Ref and linesmen as Howard Webb is refereeing the Final
    were gonna see familiar Premier League mistakes on Satrday

17. Iasius

Iasius Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If Inter wins this one they'll have won Serie A and beaten the new champions of the Bundesliga, La Liga and Premier League on their way to the CL title.

Now that does sound like a deserved win if it happens.

I'd still rather have that fourth CL spot next year though.

18. Angel4576

Shouting for Bayern or Inter? Talk about 'rock and a hard place'! :lol:

Doubt I'll watch it to be honest, just can't generate any enthusiasm for the game.

19. Mr Cool Dude

Mr Cool Dude Guest

How can you not generate enthusiasm for the European Cup Final? I always follow the latter stages of the Champions League, and I think this year's competition has been one of the best I've seen. I think it will be a great final. I'll be watching from 6 o'clock tomorrow. :techman:

20. Garak

Garak Cruisin' Premium Member