Sela...

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Praetor, Apr 20, 2009.

?

What did you think of Sela?

1. Liked her

25 vote(s)
    30.1%
  2. In between

23 vote(s)
    27.7%
  3. Disliked her

20 vote(s)
    24.1%
  4. Good idea, bad execution

15 vote(s)
    18.1%
  1. Captain Martin

Captain Martin Lieutenant Red Shirt

I voted good idea bad execution ... I thought the acting was a little weak myself and the character herself wasnt up to snuff with the quality i was used to seeing ... but I am a sucker for time paradoxes and things of that nature :techman:

2. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I don't know, I kinda like the idea that in that moment, she is trying to convince both Picard and herself of those words - Her whole life she grew up hating her mother for betraying her father, but now she's meeting these people who knew a version of her mother. As an example, I've grown up hating my deceased father, but if I suddenly found a chance to learn more about him... I don't know how I'd react. So if Sela felt the same... It could be she's afraid that she's going to find her image of her mother challenged, come to realize that her mother really was a prisoner, but loved her enough to try and take her with her.

3. Jaespol

Jaespol Captain

Denise Crosby was not a good actress and they didn't really execute the idea of her very well especially in "Unification" but she had potential and would have loved to have her be the Nemesis in Nemesis.

4. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^Considering they were trying to be like TWOK, a pre-existing enemy would have been better than Shinzon.

Star Trek IX: TWOS?

5. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

For my money, Yar was the weakest thing in YE, an otherwise excellent episode. I'd have much prefered it if Captain Garrett were the central character and the doomed love affair was between her and Picard, a la "COTEF" only with Edith volunteering to die.

6. Rush Limborg

Rush Limborg Vice Admiral Admiral

Exactly...because if she DOES realize this...then she will realize that SHE was the real tratior.

I think all the emotional outbursts following this (such as the "I HATE Vulcans!" rant), could be stemming from that struggle with her fear....

7. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I still think if they had to bring back a villain from Nemesis, it should have been Q, and they should have called it "The Whimsy of Q". Okay, it sounds a little too cutesy, but I think it works. As for the comparison between Crosby's acting in the two episodes...take into consideration that she was playing two very different characters. Sela was supposed to be bitter and angry, whereas as Tasha was a tragic hero.

8. dHunter333

dHunter333 Lieutenant Red Shirt

i voted in between but i should've put good idea bad execution
    i actually liked (not a lot but still liked) sela BUT
    i was annoyed that she had no closure, she didnt appear again

her in nemesis would've been far superior (although basically anything would've made nemesis superior)
    not that that says nemesis would've been good

but better
    from 2 out of 10 to at least 4

9. Myasishchev

Myasishchev Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Man, I just watched Unification again, and only now remembered how stupid the last thirty minutes of that episode are.

1: Sela's plan is retarded from start to finish.
    2: Data can give the Vulcan neck pinch? Hogwash. He used his android strength to burst Sela's carotid artery. She's dead. Spock thinks this is "not bad," evidencing a slide into cynicism that one might not have expected from the Vulcan.
    3: The security services of the totalitarian Romulan state are insanely inept. Prisoners escaping from the proconsul's office is like a guy assassinating the president in the Oval Office and shimmying out like Tim Robbins through the toilet. Where are the incredible sensors that can detect the heat of a life form from orbit-lengths away?

It's really a shame, because the first hour and a half of Unification are good.

None of it do I really blame on Denise Crosby, as some people do here. I think she does a fine job. In fact, I'm pretty sure that Denise Crosby could plan a better invasion of the Federation than Sela did.

10. 32JaX

32JaX Lieutenant Red Shirt

I voted in between. I never was a fan of Denise Crosby, but she didn't stick around long enough to get her "crew legs." The story she told Captain P about her ungrateful mom Tasha was really weak, but I liked that there was an attempt at a follow-up to Yesterday's Enterprise. It could have been better, but it was not horrible either.

11. DGCatAniSiri

DGCatAniSiri Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I remember that being one of the first things I thought of when I learned that Nemesis would feature the Romulans - that Sela would have been a major character. I think it would have worked better, because of, the character was already established, so they'd only need a quick refresher on her history, and there would have been a bit more in the way of audience connection to her. Not to mention, the movie was marketed as 'a generation's final journey' - why not reunite all those who started the journey? I mean, Wil Wheaton even cameoed, why not have Denise Crosby as well?

12. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The only time I liked Sela was when she stepped out of the shadows at the end of "Redemption Pt. 1". That was shocking because I thought it was Tasha Yar and I didn't know what the heck was going on. I hadn't really caught the references to the character in "The Mind's Eye" so her appearance was totally left field.

I was eager to find out what was going on, but I thought the whole Tasha Yar daughter angle was too convoluted. I loved "Yesterday's Enterprise", but I saw that show as having no bearing on the 'correct' timeline. To me it was a what if type of story and I didn't like how they linked it to the proper timeline.

Plus, why didn't Sela look more Romulan? Her appearance was just for the shock value, but there was little more behind the character than that. Why did she rise so quickly? She only was like in her 20's during "Redemption" and she was already a full commander. She didn't display any kind of talent worthy of achieving such a high post.

I thought it would've been better to have just made the character an altered/brainwashed Tasha Yar. Perhaps if they had tied her death into the Borg attacks along the Romulan border and had it where she was missing or something, then it would've made sense and added more weight to the character and her confrontations with Picard. Though I think she had a more legitimate gripe against humanity than Shinzon did.

Piggybacking off of DG, I think it would've been nice to have Sela in NEM. Really she could've played the Donatra role easily. And if she had decided to back Picard like Donatra did, that moment would've had more resonance.

13. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

The fine line between continuity and fanwank.
    :techman:

14. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

Pretty indifferent to the whole thing. The romulan episodes, in the later seasons especially, were kind of mediocre. Face of the Enemy was good though.

15. ltcmmanderdata

ltcmmanderdata Lieutenant Commander

sela gave some closure to tasha yars fate when the changed timeline was reset

16. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Not really, the way they kept talking about how the ENT-C would be destroyed in minutes made it clear she would die in the past pretty soon. Enough closure for me, knowing she died in the blaze of battle to save the future.

17. Bones2

Bones2 Commodore Commodore

I think Sela was a good idea, but didn't go anywhere. No closure.

18. euphorik

euphorik Captain Captain

horrible idea. worse execution.

a BLOND romulan? after 3 season of TOS and 4+ of TNG establishing that the vulcan/romulan genome is totally dominant over the human?

extra points lost for the pronounced needless-sequel-detracting-from-prior-perfect-episode syndrome.

sela, along with alexander moving in with worf, are real jump-the-shark moments for TNG. sela was just an unbelievably stupid idea from the beginning - hey denise, sorry you quit the show and your - ahem - "movie career" never took off, but if i remember correctly, you QUIT. to paraphrase marcellus wallce, when you GET gone, you STAY gone. not counting "yesterday's enterprise," though. ;)

19. Too Much Fun

Too Much Fun Commodore Commodore

I didn't think Alexander's arc was all bad. I mean the episode with Worf having to talk to Alexander's teachers about his bratty behaviour was lame, but didn't you enjoy "A Fistful of Datas"? I thought that was one of the highlights of season 6 (not one of the strongest seasons, but still) and it wouldn't have worked as well as it did without Alexander as the catalyst for the episode's adventure.

20. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

And "Firstborn" was a pretty good episode that wrapped things up quite nicely.

...Then we found out in DS9 that Worf basically abandoned Alexander and hadn't bothered talking to him in 5 years...