Did DS9 "pound for pound" have the best acting cast?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by indolover, Jan 16, 2013.

1. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

I believe it did.

TNG had a stellar actor (Sir Patrick Stewart), and other good/average ones. Voyager had largely average ones IMO. However, I believe most episodes featuring the DS9 main cast were well acted, right down from Sisko, Kira, and even Nog and Martok (I personally consider them main characters, Martok was virtually in every episode in the latter seasons).

2. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

As far as who I consider the "elite" of DS9. Rene Auberjonois, Armin Shimmerman and Jeffrey Combs. I liked Brooks at times but his acting became overwrought in dramatic situations at times. I feel the same with Visitor.

Pound for Pound? I suppose you could consider that cast as the best overall. TNG's elite to me are Stewart and Spiner.

3. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Colm Meaney has quite the impressive acting carreer as well.

4. Dale Sams

Dale Sams Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Don't forget Louise Fletcher is an AA winning actress!...but so is Whoopi.

5. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Probably.

I was most impressed with Visitor, who I think really develops as a character and an actress over the seven years.

6. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

I do believe DS9 had the best ensemble of actors. If you look at the principal cast, I can't think of a single bad actor. Part of that I think has to do with the fact the DS9 cast had the best material with which to work DS9 compared to TNG or VOY was a far more character based show. I think the TNG cast was great too but a lot of the actors didn't have the opportunities to shine often.

7. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

Yeah, DS9 devoted a lot more time to character development than the other shows. It seemed like even the supporting characters, like Garak and Nog, got more development than Geordi or Harry Kim.

That being said, I do think DS9 had the highest number of talented actors. Armin Shimerman, Rene Auberjonois, Nana Visitor, and Colm Meaney were always fantastic. Shimerman, in particular, never failed to amaze me with his acting. Whether he was being funny or serious, typical greedy Ferengi or unlikely hero, he was always Quark. And it wasn't just the makeup.

Actually, don't kill me for saying this, but Avery Brooks always came off as the weakest actor out of the main cast.

8. Dankokoro

Dankokoro Ensign Red Shirt

Honestly think Avery Brooks was worse than Farrell? (sorry, this is my Jadzia hate spilling over from another thread).

I thought Brooks was great, but he did come across as a bit overly dramatic at times.

9. lurok

Brooks is like jazz. Right notes in wrong order.

Or is that the other way round?

10. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

DS9's main strength was it has an awesome support cast, great writers who were willing to explore those characters, along with solid acting.

I'd say on an individual basis TNG's cast was better when compared with their DS9 opposites, but with the collective whole, DS9 was better.

11. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

I think TNG had easily the best acting cast.

DS9 was perfectly cast for its roles.

Now, best chemistry, DS9 by a landslide.

Last edited: Jan 17, 2013
  12. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

I'll agree that in the first couple of seasons Avery Brooks was a little wooden but I thought once he shaved his head he found the character. I mean look at episodes like Far Beyond the Stars and In the Pale Moonlight pretty darn good acting IMO!

13. Shanndee

Shanndee Commodore Commodore

Get out of my head!! :lol: (though I think I may like Brooks and Visitor more than you do!...I'd also add Colm Meaney to my list of the "elite".

14. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

At the risk of having things thrown at me, I would say Voyager had the most talented main cast. Beltran and Wang were the only weak links, and even they had more good days than bad. Ryan, Mulgrew, and Picardo were as good as any other three, and the rest were more than adequate.

I'd have to put TNG second. Even if I do think Stewart is kind of overrated as an actor.

Which puts DS9 at third.

I'm going to go hide now.

15. Ryva Brall

Ryva Brall Commander Red Shirt

Don't worry, I won't be hurling any rotten vegetation your way. I also think Voyager had a great cast, for the most part. Beltran and Wang weren't the strongest actors, but they both had some fine moments. I'd say Picardo was the best of the bunch. I always loved the episodes where he had to act opposite himself. (i.e. the Doc and Zimmerman)

16. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

Naw, DS9 took me awhile to get into majorly because the characters graded my nerves which is largely because of their portrayal by the actos.

Sisko, Odo, and O'Brien i was behind from day one

Kira was too emotional and crass and was acted WAY OVER THE TOP in early DS9.
    Finally settles in by season 3 The Search.

Dax was a know it all mary sue who was static and boring.

Bashir was too green even for a fresh Lt. Jr out of Star Fleet his bright eyes and mousy innocence not to mention the young age of being the show's doctor. Never fit well with me when DS9 started.

Quark was just an annoying Ferengi at the time and they were still trying to get him to work. Took a few seasons. I wanna say season 3 also.

17. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

The more I watch DS9 now, Brooks' acting bugs me more and more. He approaches every scene like he's doing Shakespeare on stage. It didn't bother back when I was first watching it, but now it does. I've been known to FF past a Sisko monologue or two. I've been trying to get my husband into DS9, but he keeps asking me why the Captain is always yelling.

That said I think DS9, save for perhaps Farrell and Dorn, had the best actors as a whole. Andrew Robinson alone is worth 10 of anyone else (even Mr. "There are 4 Lights" himself)

18. lurok

I find Stewart and Shatner more guilty of that :) I think they all have their OTT moments - even Robinson - but when they get it right, it's a joy to behold.

19. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

The great thing about the way Brooks plays Sisko is that no matter what he's doing he looks completely into it and like he's enjoying himself. Needs to be a Klingon? He's really into being a Klingon. Needs to be Gabriel Bell? He's really into it.

I'd say Voyager has more weak links than them. I never found Torres or Paris very convincing. I think its only particularly strong links are the big three.

20. Worf'sParmach

Worf'sParmach Commander Red Shirt

Definitely agree with that. Heck, I think Sisko was a better Klingon than Worf was, :lol:

And I don't even think we need to mention Voyager in a discussion about best casts.