DS9 deserved a movie

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Xzpezer, Jan 5, 2014.

1. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

The only thing about the end of DS9 that bothered me was: WHY THE FUCK DIDN'T THEY JUST TELL HIM TO DESTROY THE FUCKING BOOK?!?!

2. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

Because that wasn't what he was destined to do. The Prophets are non-linear, they knew this. :)

3. JarodRussell

Sure. As it plays out in the finale, his only destiny is to destroy the damn book. It's all about the book, because that one is the one and only key to ever free the pah wraiths, his "mother" even says that clearly in the whitespace at the end. They could have told him that in the very first episode. "Go find the book and destroy it. Fetch! Attaboy."

4. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

^However, he did destroy the book from their non-linear perspective. Why would they tell him to do something he does?

5. rhubarbodendron

rhubarbodendron Vice Admiral Admiral

but from their non-linear perspective the book has never existed/exists/will always exist - they just have to pick a time and stick with it.
    Writing a book and destroying it is something linear. Wouldn't it therefore be irrelevant to the prophets?

The same would apply to the pah wraiths: if they are like the prophets, they are non-linear and hence can not be destroyed because they are kindof eternal. If they are not like the prophets but linear, they wouldn't matter to the prophets because for the prophets there would always exist a time in which the Pah wraiths didn't yet exist (or not anymore)

Argh! this non-linear stuff is difficult to expain in a foreign language!

6. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    What good scenes? In Generations, Deanna crashed the ship. Forever after, fandom has been full of jokes about how she can't drive.

Was it in Generations that they did that silly ceremony in the holdeck and Beverly got pushed into the water?

In First Contact, Deanna's main contribution to the movie is getting drunk. At least Beverly got to do doctor-type things, but there wasn't any character development.

In Insurrection, the ladies seemed pleased that their bodies were firmer than they used to be, but I don't recall any other scenes they did.

I've mercifully forgotten most of Nemesis, period, except the really annoying crap. Beverly and Deanna's scenes weren't even annoying enough to remember.

Oh, so nuKirk will never, ever again peek when a woman tells him not to? Yeah, I totally believe that. :rolleyes:

That scene was for the purpose of showing what female officers wear under their uniform dresses. It wasn't for the purpose of showing nuKirk having an epiphany about manners and growing up.

The problem with nuUhura is that she doesn't leave her boyfriend problems off-duty like a mature, professional officer would do. She bitches and whines at him during a critical mission and actually basically tells her captain to shut up while she proceeds to bitch and whine at her boyfriend.

NuUhura would be a much better character if they'd just let her get on with her work on-duty (I have no issue with her being able to speak Klingon and fight), and leave her romantic crap for off-duty. I'm sure they could sacrifice a couple of special effects scenes and use that time for a little character development that doesn't mean these people are acting unprofessional while on duty.

7. DonIago

While the mission itself may have been critical, the specific juncture at which the conversation came up didn't seem especially crucial.

Besides, it's nothing we haven't seen before, with Worf and Jadzia perhaps as the pinnacle of unprofessionalism.

8. JarodRussell

The pah wraiths were imprisoned at a linear point in time and about to be set free at a linear point in time. So they could have simply told him from the start what to do.

Every time they interact with a non linear being, they need to step down into the non linear realm as well.

Especially weird it becomes when you think about how Sisko taught them the concept of linear time in the pilot. So did they now always know about linear time, since they are non linear, or did they learn about it later, which would be linear?

9. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

It's never established that the Prophets were either omniscient or omnipresent. They are non-corporeal and atemporal. From their perspective, they send "The Sisko," and the threat is averted. They know the success of their plan; telling him about it ahead of time would be nice, but from their perspective, it's not necessary. Do they know that there is a book that would free their enemies? I don't remember that being established, only that there is an attempt to release them.

10. Timewalker

The specific juncture doesn't matter. It was still really unprofessional. And no, I'm not excusing Worf and Jadzia. What they did was wrong, and deserved to get slapped down for it.

11. DonIago

Worf did. :)

12. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

^Jadzia (and Ezri) too.

13. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm not sure DS9 "deserved" a movie; true, if one had been made, I'm sure it would have been glorious, but the storyline of the show really didn't require one. DS9 was such an arc-linked show that I think TV really was the best medium for it.

14. Timewalker

Did Ezri do something she got slapped down for? I've only seen that season once, so I don't remember.

15. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Not that I'm aware of. :confused:

16. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

Ignore me, I'm just being perverted. ;)

17. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

18. DonIago

As Sisko himself noted, that's exactly why they shouldn't have been sent on missions unaccompanied. They proved they couldn't be trusted to act professional, to the point where it likely cost a large number of lives.

19. Timewalker

You are talking about two separate incidents. The one you initially quoted is in reference to nuUhura bitching at nuSpock and telling her own captain to shut up while she kept on bitching, and you are confusing that with the nuKirk/nuCarol underwear scene.

20. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

My feeling of the Prophets is when they interact with our plane of existence they become effectively linear for the duration. But the linearity as that contact is not the same linearity that we experience it in. From the Prophets' perspective all the linear contact they ever had with linear beings happened together at the same time, so they were learning about linearity from Sisko at the same time they were sending one of theirs to Sarah to generate him.

I also get the feeling the Prophets have their own principle of limited interference with corporeal life. They're obnoxiously cryptic not just to be dicks to corporeals, but because it's the maximum they feel justified in guidance. The only exceptions are minor acts of kindness (The poet), their perception of justice (The nagus), and acts of desperation to protect Bajor and Sisko's destiny (The fleet).

Also, if they had told Sisko what to do immediately, the free pah'wraiths that possessed Jake, Dukat and Keiko would have been free to make more attempts to destroy them.