MLB Season Discussion - 2013

Discussion in 'Sports and Fitness' started by tomalak301, Mar 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

Fucking Marmol !

2. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Mets damn well needed that win, as did Nieuwenhuis.

3. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

Tim Lincecum is never going to be ace material again. I think he knows he has to live off his offspeed stuff to survive as a starter but he doesn't seem to be mentally able to let go of being a fastball power pitcher. He has missed constantly tonight about two feet overhead with a four seam fastball that clocked in at 94. Thats decent velocity but he is wrenching his arm out of his socket to get there. He's kept the Giants in it tonight but he was sitting at 75 pitches after three innings. He needs to reinvent himself. Even if that means he is no longer the number one guy. He no longer has the ability to put guys away with two strikes.

4. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^Agreed. He's at a crossroads. Can he find another "out" pitch and allow his fastball to become more of decoy used to set up hitters, or will he go the way of Dwight Gooden, who never accepted that he wasn't a power pitcher after shoulder surgery took away so much of his velocity. Time will tell.

--Sran

5. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I want to F'ing explode, the Mess throwing the ball around like 7 year old little league. Give up two runs on three, count them three throwing errors. So many players playing out of position. Put Lucas Duda at First Base. Move Daniel Murphy back to second and put Valdespin in Left Field.

6. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^The constant tinkering with the Mets lineup makes me think Jerry Manuel is still running the team.

--Sran

7. Use of Time

I'm a believer in Teheran now. He is finally showing us why he was a top prospect. He had a fantastic May and he showed that he can battle when he gets into jams. At 22 years old I think he is going to end up being the ace of this Braves staff very soon.

8. Timby

Timby o yea just like that Administrator

Teheran's young and he's still got time to continue refining his stuff, but his HR/9 is a little bothersome. Right now, a similar analogue would be Juan Cruz, and the Cubs wrecked him by expecting him to be their ace when he was 23. I wouldn't slap the "future ace" label on him just yet, especially when he got hammered at AAA last year, so he's really only got one good month against major league batters to make his case. In any event, he's got a good to very good fastball, but that's the pitch that hitters tee off on for dingers, and while his slider is great when it's on, if he hangs it, he hangs it, and that thing gets blown to the moon.

9. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Yeah... this. We were winning and I doze off for ONE inning... and it's enough for him to blow the game.

10. Use of Time

Yep. The HR/9 isn't all that great but most of that was attributed to his April starts. AAA numbers from last year are useless at this point as he is not even using the same pitches. He was retrained to live off the two-seamer and it has made a world of difference. When you see him dial it up to 94 or 95 you know he is using the four seamer again and that ball has a tendency to get hit if its flat. He needs to live around 91 or 92 with the two seamer and mix in that nasty hook. He's got putaway stuff for sure. That and just getting him big league innings has been a big help. He can still give up a bomb with the best of them but power pitchers will always be prone to that.

I'm not saying he has to be the ace now. The Braves know that and have labeled him their five starter. I'm saying Ace when Hudson and Maholm move on in about three years or so. Hudson will probably be gone sooner. He is declining rapidly.

I'm just wondering what happens when Beachy gets back which should be pretty soon.

11. Mr. Laser Beam

Note to Bob Costas:

The Mets celebrating a walk-off win != the decline of Western civilization :rolleyes:

12. Tom Hendricks

Tom Hendricks Vice Admiral Premium Member

I so, so hate the "walk off" celebration. It is the stupidest celebration in all of sports. You act like you just won the World Series but really won one meaningless game and are still 14 games out of first and playing the sport like a bunch of little leaguers. (Not the passion of little leagues but the actual skill of playing)

13. Use of Time

I've always liked the walkoff celebrations. Its nice to see some sort of passion from your team no matter where you are in the standings.

14. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Are we starting to lose site of the fact that sports are supposed to be fun? Why not have a team who just won on a hit have some fun while they are doing it. I look to the A's as a good example. Yeah they are a good team, but every time there is a walk off, that guy get's a pie to the face in celebration during the interview. Is it over the top? Yeah but it's still fun and it's a good morale booster for the team, and the fans love it. I watched that Costas clip yesterday and my first thought was the whole "Get off my lawn" thing he showed. If teams weren't allowed to celebrate an achievement, no matter how meaningless the game is, than sports would be incredibly boring.

15. Use of Time

Costas is one of the best in the business for sure but I think he takes himself a little too seriously sometimes.

16. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Isn't this the same dolt who used his job as a sportscaster to spout off about gun control?

That walk off celebration annoyed me sure, but only because we should've won that game. ;)

17. Ar-Pharazon

Ar-Pharazon Admiral Premium Member

In reality, we "should've won that game" only because the Mets tried to hand it to us with that homage to the '62 team.

18. Use of Time

Not that I enjoyed watching Harvey mow down Braves today but damn he is fun to watch. If this Wheeler kid pans out then they might have a decent rotation in the next few years. If I'm the Mets I would address the bullpen in the off season though. Harvey pretty much has to cross his fingers every time he leaves the game.

One thing I did note about Wheeler in his first inning of work. He threw 20 pitches. All of them were fastballs. That was...interesting.

19. Pondwater

Pondwater Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^ Both Harvey and Wheeler were quite impressive. Wright got his 1,500 hit.. Pretty good day for the Mets.

Now, it's time that the Bravos get the bats out their butts. Pardon my expression. It doesn't help that El Oso Blanco (Evan Gattis) just went on the 15-day DL. :-/

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Matt Harvey had the guts to stand up to Jon Rauch. Linky :techman:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.