NuTrek's Faulty Moral Compass

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Brutal Strudel, Jan 23, 2014.

1. YARN

YARN Fleet Captain

Hmmm? Shatner's depiction was simply that of a very 60's style leading man. Liberal (relative to the time). Verile. Sensitive, but also strong.

Pine's depiction does not just reduce to type, but stereotype.

2. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

So Abrams' Trek is objectively worse than prior Trek... because we must grade it on a different scale. ( Which really means... )

At this point there's really only one place left for the rearguard-action posse to go, isn't there?

Death panels.

NuTrek is a job killer!

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Apple and oranges the Horta didn't have to eat people to survive. So it would be closer to dealing with the Salt Vampire from the Man Trap or the Cloud monster from Obsession both of which were killed.

Also seeing as TOS seemed to treat M-class planets as not that common that kind of makes telling the Crystaline entity not to eat inhabited planets problematic because there aren't that many of them around.

4. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm part of a posse? :rommie:

Do we get badges? What's the pay? Why wasn't I told about this, I want my cheddar!

5. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Whiskey for the men, beer for the horses.

And you don't need no stinken' badges.

:)

6. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

Long as Connery's in, I'm in... ;)

[​IMG]

7. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

Barbarella called, she wants her outfit back :guffaw:

8. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Considering Gaila's reaction at her posting, I still have some hope she was assigned to Enterprise.

A stereotype of Kirk, in fact. I guess my only gripe about the character in the new movies is how he acts not like Kirk, but like Kirk's stereotype. I get the different childhood, but it still seems like this is what they were going for.

9. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    yeah, that was pretty much the model for nuKirk in STXI-his image in pop culture rather than onscreen in Trek. They toned it down, fortunately in STID.

10. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I prefer "The Conscience of the King", with Kirk trying to sort out justice and vengeance, giving some thought to it rather than being glib "you've got it!". Granted, nuKirk had less time to balance things out, but it would have gone a long way just to show a moment of him giving it a thought before ordering Nero's execution. Done in that manner, I would have totally been fine with him giving the order to destroy Nero's ship.

But all in all, I would have preferred Kirk just beam up the Narada crew and put them in the brig. He was prepared to do that anyway, and even if Nero refused help, it's not like he would have a chance to fight back with a crew of a thousand against him.

11. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

We saw her at Kirk's hearing, but not at his celebration. And since she is never seen or heard from again in the sequel or in any other NuTrek medium be it the comics, books, games, it's not a stretch to say that she was on a different ship and is now dead. Her excited reaction probably stems more from the fact that she's an undergraduate who's just happy to have the opportunity to serve on any starship.

12. Belz...

That's quite possible, too. Both seem equally likely.

13. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

It's possible the reason Kirk mistook the Orion woman in the corridor as Gaila in the deleted scene (in addition to him just being an ass) is that he had found out that she was assigned to the Enterprise as well.

I would think there would be some regret expressed between Gaila and Uhura in the hangar if they were not assigned to the same ship, since they seemed fairly close as roommates.

14. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

But then, it would seem Gaila was most likely posted to the Farragut. We see her grin at Uhura just before Uhura stomps off to whip Spock into putting her on the Enterprise and then we never see her again.

15. Belz...

Why ? They weren't named in order of assignment.

16. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

Couldn't Kirk just use the Enterprise's computers to locate her just as he did with Uhura?

17. Brutal Strudel

Brutal Strudel Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In all fairness, it seemed that Kirk stumbled across her and took the opportunity to apologize. However, I read Gaila's expression with Uhura as (possibly) indicating she was thrilled to be assigned to the same ship as her friend and roomie--at that time, the Farragut.

I wonder: is the Enterprise one of a kind (or the first of a new kind) in NuTrek? Or was she merely the newest of twelve?

18. OpenMaw

OpenMaw Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

It's hard to say, but I got the impression she was the latest and newest thing around. Everyone seemed very impressed by it.

19. Amaris

Amaris Guest

According to Captain Pike, she was the newest flagship of the fleet:

"The maiden voyage of our newest flagship deserves more pomp and circumstance than we can afford today,
    but her christening will have to be our reward for a safe return."

I'll also add that her technology certainly looked improved upon compared to other ships.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Long before the current idea of "Class name ship comes first" and a USS Consistution NCC-1700, the Enterprise was envisioned as the first of the seventeenth hull design of Starfleet, hence the number 1701.