The Missing by Una McCormack (Future book- probable spoilers)

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by ITCH, Mar 13, 2014.

1. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I think it's way overdue to have some books that are exclusively ds9 books where they have the ds9 characters featured in their own storyarcs with larger roles in the books. Than brief roles along with the TNG Enterpise crewmembers getting most storytime in the books.I like the fall books a lot but I think it's time for new ds9 books to come out too.

2. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

As I recall from The Fall, she was slated to get a pardon from President zh'Tarash. As someone who is not only one of the foremost medical experts in the Federation, but who also risked her career and her liberty to save an entire species, it makes sense that she would have received both the kind of media attention and the kind of clout necessary for her to arrange something like the Athene Donald mission.

3. DigificWriter

DigificWriter Vice Admiral Admiral

DS9 and its characters have been far from neglected in recent years* , although I do agree with you that it'll be nice to start seeing some more 'exclusively branded' DS9 stories.

* Since the publication of The Never-Ending Sacrifice back in 2009, Zero Sum Game, Rough Beasts of Empire, Brinkmanship, Plagues of Night, Raise the Dawn, Revelation and Dust, and A Ceremony of Losses have all dealt with DS9 and its characters either directly or partially. The only series to feature more 'Relaunch' titles released in that same period of time is TNG.

4. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I can't help but think that there's a marketing reason that the DS9 branding has been sidelined. If that's true, it's probably going to be a very long time before you see it again.

5. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

January of next year, apparently...

6. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking forward to it.

7. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll believe it when we see the cover.

8. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

September of THIS year if you want to count e-book only exclusives!

9. Mimi

Mimi Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'm not sure how true it is, but it certainly seems that DS9 has gotten substantially more popular in the last couple of years thanks to streaming sites like netflix. I'd actually be surprised if we didn't see more of it.

The main problem with DS9 as a book series is that it only just resembles the DS9 of the television show. Which isn't a bad thing. But I'd say the difference is more pronounced than other series, which makes it a bit harder to just jump into.

10. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

^ Indeed. Quark, O'Brien and Nog are the only television characters still the station from the series.

11. Markonian

Markonian Fleet Admiral Moderator

To reunite the crew is not necessarily that difficult. We've Sisko's ship tagged onto the station, Odo is here to stay and there's a good chance Kira might return. With Aventine lacking its own series, the ship could become a guest, like the CDS Trager from the first relaunch. Anyone missing but Worf?

12. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

^ Revelation and Dust and Peaceable Kingdoms both mention that the Robinson is about to begin an exploratory mission after Star Trek: The Fall though I suppose any future novels could feature both it and DS9.

13. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And to point out the obvious, Una McCormack has a few connections to the city/university to which the current Athene Donald has major links...

14. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

Has anyone else wondered why Bashir's deputy isn't the one getting promoted to acting chief medical officer of Deep Space 9?

15. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

Why? Whose his deputy? Do they have an interesting story to tell? Una writes Beverly quite well. I'm sure it will be good still :)

16. Masiral

Masiral Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

They may be under investigation to make sure they weren't involved with Bashir's treason.

17. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

I suppose too, that with such an important and high-profile position you want the best. CMO on the flagship, former head of Medical on Earth; perhaps Starfleet is more comfortable having Crusher run this hospital than one of Bashir's staff?

18. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The sense I got from the novels of "The Fall" was that Beverly's reassignment to DS9 wasn't going to be permanent in any case. This is likely going to be the tale of a Big Adventure she gets into during the temp gig. Which suits me well enough. Seeing the place through a non-regular's eyes will be fun.

I liked that cover art that got pulled as quickly as it appeared. Very much.

19. Enterprise1701

Enterprise1701 Commodore Commodore

20. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

I'm in.