Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Donny, May 9, 2013.

1. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Re: Donny's TOS Enterprise Interiors

The set designers really had fun with this one, adding TWOK tech bits all over the place! ;)
    Looking good, Donny.

2. biotech

biotech Vice Admiral Admiral

Amazing attention to detail.

3. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It’s amazing how that simple image has all of the dialogue from that scene running in my head. “Ish-veh ni... komihn.”

Nice job.

4. blssdwlf

blssdwlf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

So... many... angles! :) Keep up the good work Donny :)

5. BK613

BK613 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wow. :techman:

6. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

The redress of the Klingon bridge never bothered me. In fact it was kind of fascinating to see how they'd taken those elements and reworked them into something basically the same, yet totally different.

To be honest, the cheap-looking Excelsior bridge and Bird-of-Prey sets bug me far more.

7. Donny

Donny Commodore Commodore

You know, I was going through TSFS screencaps last night, and realized that the Bird Of Prey bridge set is a redress of the Torpedo Bay. Never noticed it before. It was heavily modified so it's almost not even noticeable. They basically cut off the forward half of the room with the circular doorway (the same doorway that served as a docking port in TWOK) and only used the aft half of the room. Check it out:

(You can see one of the deck braces through the doorway in this first shot)
    http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tsfshd/tsfshd1516.jpg

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tsfshd/tsfshd0115.jpg

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tsfshd/tsfshd0770.jpg

8. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

The whole set must have originally been built on a raised platform, otherwise they probably wouldn't have had room for the torpedo track in TWOK or the crew pit in TSFS.

It's certainly better disguised than the torpedo room, but -- and maybe I'm just saying this as someone who didn't watch the films in order, and was used to the later Klingon bridges that were all influenced by the set design in TVH -- it looks cheap.

9. FalTorPan

FalTorPan Vice Admiral Admiral

This was one of my favorite articles back when I was actively writing for the site...

Fascinating Trek Mysteries: The Torpedo Bays of the NCC-1701

10. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Yeah, those are the things that really give it away. It's too bad, because they did a really great job redressing the set, but those distinctive shapes for the Klingon bridge really limited them in certain ways.

11. Albertese

Albertese Commodore Commodore

Regarding "3" and "4"....

Perhaps there is only one Torpedo Bay Room from which torpedoes are loaded into the launch tubes. The number refers not to the bay (of which there is only the one) but to which gunnery team is assigned to which half of that bay. Team one is on Starboard today and team 2 in on Portside. Tomorrow will be teams three and four.

Just an idea I thought up right now. Maybe not?

--Alex

12. Donny

Thanks for posting that, FalTorPan! I'd been meaning to look it up. I remember reading that YEARS ago, and was pretty much the basis of me trying to avoid this topic all together in my earlier post.

Torp Bay 4 is just one of those things that we'll have to overlook. My main goal is to re-create accurate real-time walkthroughs of the sets. Not correct the errors of the production staff some 30 years ago.

13. Donny

Here's what's going on with the starboard side...

[​IMG]

14. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Loving the accuracy and attention to detail. I understand all the qualms about avoiding sets that don't match their presumed finite barriers, but it didn't stop me when I did the hanger/cargo decks on the Enterprise, so I admire you sticking to on-screen canon.

I've always LOVED this set (even in its Klingon form), even though I probably (personally) would have to stick my finger in and stir the creative pot to avoid those craggy inset shapes in the wall braces (I always called them "Bizzaro Braces"). It's my only gripe about that Klingon cannibalism. Everything else translated (nearly) perfectly to the Starfleet Streamline except those specific features. And I'm not even sure what function they served on the Amar, since they seem a little counter-intuitive as bracing. Unless (along with the "shock absorbers"), they're meant to minimally give way, helping to reduce the chance of outer hull breaches, thus allowing for better survival in thick battles (my apologism at work).

If I ever attack this set myself, I'll almost certainly cover them or refine them to look more like the corridor framework, or at least take a few polys out of the gons. Lucky for me, I'll probably be filling in an entirely different ship's interior, so I'll be guilt free. ;)

You on the other hand... Keep up this awesomeness! :D

15. BK613

so is the area outside of the bridge simulator also the torp set redressed?

16. Basill

Basill Captain Captain

Unlikely, though it is very likely to have originated on the Klingon bridge. The torp bay set put up walls where none were on the Amar bridge, and those simulator walls might have been the original walls, which were further back. Remember, the entire rear end bulkhead of that bridge (where the gunners spun in their chairs) ended up as the radiation chamber in the Enterprise engine room, and was replaced by Starfleet walls, consoles and airlock/pressure doors. The helm/navigation console became the Regula 1 transporter console.

17. BK613

Actually, I was talking about out here. :lol:

Looks like the windows in the hall might be from Epsilon 9 though...

http://movies.trekcore.com/gallery/albums/tmp2/tmphd0089.jpg

18. Sgt Angel

Sgt Angel Lieutenant Red Shirt

All I can say is "WOW"

19. JonnyQuest037

JonnyQuest037 Vice Admiral Admiral

Donny, do you have any plans to do the airlock we see in TMP, where Spock neck-pinches the guy and steals the thruster suit? I always liked the looked of that set, and it probably didn't change much between TMP and TWOK.

20. Mytran

Mytran Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did it even appear in TWOK?

They do look similar! I often wondered about the oddly angle windows in an Earthside base. Maybe that is it?!