Season FOUR OFFICIAL TNG Blu-Ray Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by Savage Dragon, Apr 24, 2013.

1. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Every sharp picture looks artificial for you? Okay.

2. jimbotron

jimbotron Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No. Every artificially sharp picture does. What you employed was edge enhancement. The image on the right appears to have video noise (Picard's forehead, and behind his head)

I'd rather see a soft edge rather than a sharp edge with haloing and other artifacts.

3. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I prefer seeing the footage as it's meant to be seen. One thing that annoyed me about the remastered Star Wars DVD was that Lucas increased sharpness on scenes he originally shot with a diffusion/soft filter.

4. Salinga

Salinga Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Well, the footage was ment to be seen on NTSC analog TV sets. If you are such a purist, you shouldnt go for the Blurays, you should go for the US DVDs. ;)

5. MakeshiftPython

MakeshiftPython Commodore Commodore

I was referring to the HD masters, of course.

6. Maxwell Everett

Maxwell Everett Commodore Commodore

It should be noted that your odd scaling factor (around 114.7%) and re-compression of the TrekCore jpg on the left, which in turn was compressed from a png capture, has softened the image slightly more than it appears on the Blu-ray. Also, as jimbotron has pointed out, you've introduced artifacts that weren't there originally in your sharpened image on the right.

7. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Sorry to be so late to the party, but I finally watched the art department feature a few days ago. I did manage to make it to the end, and there were a few good stories. But, yes, they needed a moderator to keep them on track. Too much time was spent giving each other compliments and talking about DS9.

8. trekker670

trekker670 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed, I kind of get the impression that Doug Drexler was meant to be there as the moderator, given he did the intro and ending IIRC and he was a makeup artist during TNG, not in the art department. He didn't move to the art department until DS9, which I think is where the problem lies.

The other departmental roundtables have had well known fans, specializing in that particular type of work, moderate them (Seth McFarlane for the writers, Jeff Bond for music), which I think is what they were trying to do with Drexler, but the difference was the he worked with them on DS9, so he steered the discussion to what he was familiar with.

9. Doug Otte

Doug Otte Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yes, Drexler did seem to be moderating a bit, and looking at the camera for some reason, and he did host it in his house.

I wonder if the folks involved had stronger memories of their DS9 experiences because they had more of a hand in its development? If Andy Probert could have participated in the Art Dept session, he might have had more memories of TNG's development.

10. trekker670

That may be the case, but I personally don't think that was the issue. I think it was just a matter of the moderator not really doing his job, which is to keep the discussion on topic and to provide talking points if their's a lull in the conversation. As much as I appreciate Doug Drexler's work (I'm a huge fan of his blog and enjoy learning some of the vast array of knowledge he holds), he seemed to lead the conversation off-topic more than anyone else.

I just watched the composer round table last night and Bond was able to do a great job of getting the composers to talk about TNG in a broad sense and specifically about some of each composer's best work in the series, while still allowing them some breathing room to talk about the other series' to give a natural fluidity to the conversation without derailing the subject.

While we're on the subject, was there any word as to why Probert wasn't part of the round table?

11. trekker670

Last edited: Feb 5, 2014
  12. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

13. gaghyogi49

gaghyogi49 Commander Red Shirt

14. MikeS

MikeS Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That article shows how much care and attention went into the show back in the nineties. I don't think we can be too harsh on CBS for the small errors here though - I certainly didn't notice them!

And it's lovely to see that Data bequethed so much of his dead father's gear to the O'Brien's.

15. Start Wreck

Start Wreck Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

16. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Just no.

17. gaghyogi49

18. trekker670

Care to expand?

19. gaghyogi49

Here's the "Remember me" observations article - feedback always welcome.

Jörg

20. trekker670

Here's the link: "Remember Me" Observations

I, for one, thoroughly enjoy these observation articles. I look forward to every time a new one is posted. I love seeing the enhancements, changes, and yes, even the goofs, that appear in the remastered versions of these episodes.

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014