Warp speed calculations in Excel

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by JJohnson, Aug 4, 2013.

1. JJohnson

JJohnson Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm working on an Excel spreadsheet that'll calculate the years, days, hours, minutes, and seconds it'll take to travel a given distance in light years.

What I have so far only works for warp 1, and I can't seem to find out why it doesn't work for anything higher.

So far, I enter a warp speed (TOS scale), it gives me the multiple of light, then m/s, kps, kph.

warp: 2
    c: =b6^3
    m/s: =B7*299792458 (definition of light speed)
    kps: =B8/1000
    kph: =B9*3600

light year: 9460730472580800 meters
    ly (km): =B12/1000

so, Alpha Centauri is 4.37 ly.

time to travel at warp 2: =(F8*$B$13)/$B$9

or: (4.37*9460730472580.8)/2398339.66

which gives: 17,238,339 seconds

That is a little over half a year, with a year being 31,557,600 seconds.

now how would I convert that reliably to years, days, hours, minutes, seconds, so that I see:
    0 years
    150 days
    4 hours
    8 minutes
    10 seconds

when I enter a given warp speed?

I've got the distance in light years to the closest 20 stars entered, so it'll calculate the time to travel automatically for all those stars, or at least, that's the hope anyhow.

If anyone's good with Excel, I'd appreciate any help.

2. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I don't mean to discourage you at all if number crunching is your thing, but... travel time in Trek is a highly variable concept dependent on the needs of the plot.

3. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Depending on the story, going from Point A to Point B might take 3 days, 7 hours, 47 minutes at Warp 5 in an episode. In another episode, we might learn the actual distance is 14.3 lightyears. Then in a third story, it might take twice as long at Warp 6 to go that same distance.

4. R. Star

http://www.anycalculator.com/warpcalculator.htm

There's a website with a working calculator. But even that's flawed. I checked Voyager's 75,000 LY to get home at their max cruising speed of 9.975 and it showed me a bit over 5 years. Maybe they knew Janeway would stop to inspect every spec of space dust in between here and there when they cited the 70 year number.

5. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Blame Janeway for wasting so much power on the holodecks, when they could have gotten home in season five!:p

6. JJohnson

I absolutely know the warp speed is as fast as the needs of the plot. But, I'm trying to avoid that in my story, so if it says it's a 12 day, 8 hour, 12 minute trip at warp 4, that's how long it'll take.

7. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

There are probably dozens of warp factor scales worked out by fans over the last 40 years for every series. Find one appropriate for ENT, perhaps one that's commonly accepted by those who explore such things (like the guys in the Trek Tech forum), and use it as your model.

After you write the story, someone will eventually pop up and say "but such-and-such says..." and you can say "I used this particular scale here."

8. JJohnson

I'm working on the warp^3 formula. My question's more along the lines of 'how do I get Excel to show years, days, hours, minutes, seconds the right way?'

9. Hando

Hando Commander Red Shirt

Take a look at mine

But the problem is what do you consider a year: 365 days or 365.25 or 365.2425 or some more correct...

Last edited: Aug 4, 2013
  10. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

:guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

What about the theory that they changed the Warp scale between TOS and TNG because they went over Warp 10 in TOS heaps of time without once devolving or any other creepy things happening.

11. Crazyewok

Crazyewok Vice Admiral Admiral

Well i go by the idea that yeah if the went warp 9+ they could have done it in years.....

But theres a diffrence to making that speed and maintaining it. Yeah the ship can ho 9.975 but only for a few minutes, longer and you risk tearing the ship apart or burning the engines out. Hence why warp 6 seems to be used alot. Maybe its the ideal speed to avoid damage and give the best fuel economy?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2013
  12. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Then there's super-mega-hyper-warp in NuTrek, which allows a ship to travel from Earth to Vulcan in minutes.

13. Crazyewok

I also think there may be subspace lanes were warp is faster and easier to maintain. Hence why even the NX-Ent was able to reach some distant places quicker than it should.

14. R. Star

In the pilot of Voyager they made a point of saying "sustainable cruise velocity of Warp 9.975."

15. Crazyewok

And my rule of if it stupid then its wrong applies...

The writters obviosly had a brain fart and made a mistake seeing as voyger and most of startfleet never seem to use warp 9 unless its a emergancy.

16. R. Star

By that logic at least half of the Star Trek franchise didn't happen then. ;)

17. Crazyewok

Basicaly yeah well 25% and one whole film STV.

Why DS9 is my favoite. Not as much stupidness.