"Survival Instinct" Quality Jump

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by DavidGutierrez, Apr 7, 2015.

1. DavidGutierrez

DavidGutierrez Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Making my way through VOY for the umpteenth time and just watched "Survival Instinct."

I was absolutely blown away by the quality of that episode! I think because I was a kid when it aired, it didn't really resonate with me as being too memorable, but holy moly is it good! All of the characters in this episode seem like real people for a change and not so stiff or wooden. The consequences of Seven's actions in the Collective are presented concretely instead of the abstract. She actually has to figure this dilemma out on her own instead of having Janeway tell her what is right (think "Prey"). And, that quiet, heavy scene at the end when the triad part company for the final time was just so moving!

I also liked the comic timing in the episode. Tuvok's security report ("there is a third page"), Chakotay's weird racket thing, Naomi and Seven in the corridor, all gold. And, the best part was when Janeway is dressing down Paris and Kim and she points to Chakotay's racket and they say in exasperated unison, "Yeah!"

Plus, Naomi and Seven are family now! Gets me in the feels hard core.

2. hux

hux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It's quite a good episode.

I never entirely understood why they couldn't just wake the three of them (with the connection in tact) and get their opinion on whether to sever the link or not. Seemed a bit contrived that Seven had to make the decision for them. (After some bland Chakotay advice regarding the nature of individuali......yawn)

3. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

When the woman chooses to die aboard Voyager because she had been Starfleet, and it felt the most like home I always tear up.

4. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I tear up too. Good episode. And more what should have been foreshadow on C/7 (Blech) had they planned in that route, but soo refreshing it wasn't Janeway knows it all episode.

5. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

But Janeway does know it all.

6. Catarina

Catarina Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

She's very smart, yes. Hello, Janeway fan here :-) But I like some rotation :-)

7. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    I always enjoy this one on rewatches too (that said, haven't watched any VOY or Trek in over a year!). Wasn't it one of RDM's prodigal son first scripts? Plus extra points for Vaughn Armstrong, and I really like the actress who portrayed Marika (?). Does she ever appear in any Wolf 359 books or fan stuff?

8. DavidGutierrez

DavidGutierrez Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

It was one of two RDM scripts in VOY. The other was "The Barge of the Dead," which my wife and I incidentally watched just last night and is the first VOY episode to ever make my wife cry.

If only VOY had been more like those episodes more often!

9. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Seconded! :techman:

She was on DS9 once, played a Vulcan named Sakonna.

10. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

It's a shame Ron Moore didn't stick around. Voyager could have had more good episodes like that.

11. Galekarens

Galekarens Commander Red Shirt

Eh, not everyone thinks Mr. Moore was that great, and IMO "Survival Instinct" was an ok episode, but not so very special (mid-level Voyager quality for me), JMO of course.