Star Trek/Lost In Space: Any Difference?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Hyfen_Underskor, Dec 30, 2012.

1. Robert Comsol

Robert Comsol Commodore Commodore

I agree, not to mention the dozens of lost science fiction cutaways he did not do because of such bad experience. :(

Bob

2. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Thanks for the pic; I love those things.

"The Empath" didn't just use the economical (empty) black soundstage trick so often seen on LOST IN SPACE. They also used the actual freezing tubes from the Jupiter 2 interior as Vian set dressing. LIS had been canceled by the time "The Empath" was filmed.

3. ZapBrannigan

Here's good view of the tubes, indisputably from LOST IN SPACE:

[​IMG]

4. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

It was on Saturdays at 7pm in the bay area. So the time was right, if not the day (then again, if they were aiming it at 8 year-olds, they'd've been in for the night.) I don't remember network programming as starting at 7pm every night either ... 7:30, after the local news, that I remember. Maybe Disney at 7 was the exception on Sunday? That would suggest it was in syndication ...

Well, maybe I'm full of it. I know UFO was on in 71 ... but I'm wondering if the eps I saw were in 72 ... did it go into syndication immediately? It was on the CBS affiliate, KPIX, I do recall that. My stepdad was crazy about it, I bough him that UFO INTERCEPTOR in metal that had a missile you launched with a cap for the bang effect. He had the thing still in the hard bubble wrap and box up till the early 90s.

Back on topic: The quote I remember reading about Harris turning down the LiS film role was 'I don't do cameos.'

5. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Did Ib Melchior have a hand in the comic? I know from a dedicated Allen fan who corresponded with Ib that he had developed a whole Space Family Robinson concept in the early 60s which he claimed Allen appropriated wholesale. It may be that one of those super-researched limited press books about LiS might have info on this.

6. ZapBrannigan

If Allen had simply given his space family a new last name, there never would have been any trouble. But instead, they had a troublesome legal entanglement brought by that existing comic book and we never got a (true-vintage) LOST IN SPACE comic like all the other sci-fi shows got.

Allen could have called them the Space Family Finkelsteins, anything, and it would have been smooth sailing.

7. trevanian

trevanian Rear Admiral

Re: your hilarious FINKELSTEINS remark,

Don't give Seth McFarlane any new ideas! (then again, folks who don't want him doing trek for TV might be very happy if he settled for LiS.)

8. ZapBrannigan

Thanks, Trevanian.

And here's to you, Mrs Finkelstein. :techman:

9. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

Awesome robot insert...

The blue console to the right was on Voyage to the Bottom of the Sea pretty often as well. Notice the silver handled doors at the bottom: SO not-Trek but very much Admiral Nelson's lab...

10. Grant

Grant Commodore Commodore

That's all that needs to be said.

11. Photoman15

Photoman15 Commodore Commodore

The Cloudminders by David Gerrold

12. mos6507

mos6507 Commodore Commodore

Well, what is Starfleet's relationship to the Orions? Until Enterprise retconned the Orions in a lame attempt at avoiding controversy, the slavegirls were just that, slaves.

13. ZapBrannigan

STAR TREK went nearly there in "The Cloud Minders."

BUCK ROGERS hit it on the head in "Planet of the Slave Girls." :techman:

In all such cases, our heroes are supposed to put their own vital interests aside because somebody else is oppressed.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2013
  14. TREK_GOD_1

TREK_GOD_1 Vice Admiral Admiral

Slave girls and Gil Gerard running around in clothes six sizes too small for him deserve one response:

[Dr. Smith]Ohh, the pain...the pain![/Dr.Smith]